Terry Larrier to Transfer to UConn! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier to Transfer to UConn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Grow up. Who was comparing him to Okafor and Towns.
Hey get off your high horse. I was just telling people who think he is a first round lock that he has a way to go before he is assured of that. He isn't even a great college center and people are already saying he is a definite first round pick. He is older than most people in his class and he didn't develop much last year. I will give him the benefit of the doubt though as head coming off surgery. Hopefully he works hard and makes himself a first round pick.

Reaction Score
Hey get off your high horse. I was just telling people who think he is a first round lock that he has a way to go before he is assured of that. He isn't even a great college center and people are already saying he is a definite first round pick. He is older than most people in his class and he didn't develop much last year. I will give him the benefit of the doubt though as head coming off surgery. Hopefully he works hard and makes himself a first round pick.

My view is you don't know what you are talking about. The kid's deficiencies are coming around ... slowly. But, his talent is apparent to anyone who has been around this game.

Reactions: caw

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Calhoun's luck was finding a kid with that much self-discipline.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say luck... I'd say that his ability to identify players like that was one of Coach Calhoun's greatest strengths. He could see something in players that others overlooked and then bring out their full potential on the court.

Reaction Score

Brimah is a great college player -defensively. His ability to protect the rim gives the Huskies a huge advantage on defense.

His offense is average but it has improved before our eyes for two years. He moves confidently on the offensive end, just not always effectively.

I see no reason why you insist on dragging the kid down.

Reaction Score
Not sure what baseball analogy I would insert here. All I do know is that if someone told me when the game ended with SMU at the Civic Center back in March that UConn's roster the next two years would look as good and athletic that it currently does by June 1, I would have thought he was crazy, or atleast had 6 beers too many. If this was a solid double, then at least Ollie cleared the bases, down 2, bottom of the 8th.

Agreed 100%. The 2016 class is off to a solid start, but we've also managed to solve the more pressing roster issues for next year as well. Based on who was available, I'm not sure you could have handpicked two better fits for next year than Miller and Gibbs. What they do well is exactly what we need.

Four commitments in the last six weeks and in decent shape for others. It's been a heck of an offseason so far.

Reaction Score

This is demonstrably false. Brimah's scoring rate went up 46% from his freshman to sophomore year and his foul rate went down by 36% while he maintained his block rate. Yeah, his rebounding stayed basically static, but every other part of his game got better.

Reaction Score
Brimah is a great college player -defensively. His ability to protect the rim gives the Huskies a huge advantage on defense.

His offense is average but it has improved before our eyes for two years. He moves confidently on the offensive end, just not always effectively.

I see no reason why you insist on dragging the kid down.

Brimah is def not a great defensive center yet, hes a good shot blocker without question. You can't be in so much foul trouble and be a great defensive center. Also, he has yet to learn when to go for a block and when not to. He goes for every block and you see alot of weak side putbacks by his man. He has potential to be a great defensive player but hes not there yet.

Hopefully he can work on getting stronger and maybe attend a big man camp to work on many aspects of his game. His jumper is money, would love to see him use that more often if given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
My view is you don't know what you are talking about. The kid's deficiencies are coming around ... slowly. But, his talent is apparent to anyone who has been around this game.
Well I'm not looking through my rose colored UCONN glasses like some people on the board. Does AB have talent? Sure he does. Was he better than what he was touted coming in? Sure. Is he a sure fire NBA prospect? No way if we watched the same AB that got benched for PN at the end of the year. He would get killed if he played in the NBA as he just doesn't have the strength or ability at this stage. I mean look at the 5 out of conference games last year against top competition(FL, Stanford, West Virginia, Texas, and Duke). He had a total of 20 points and 18 rebounds which is an average of 4 Points and 3.6 Rebounds.

Now with this said if he comes back a different player with strength and better idea of positioning both offensively and defensively due to a full off season I will be very happy. Just at this stage he is a decent college basketball player who is great at blocking shots but not much else. I mean a big reason for increase offensive efficiency is all the passes that DHAM lobbed to him. I like the guy but the verdict is still out if he can improve his game to get to the next level.

Reaction Score
Brimah has gotten better but still raw and a work in progress. That is why he is not listed on NBA draft board. Message board usually over rate their players and think they are going to the NBA way before they are ready. Good example is Marcus Paige of UNC. They had him going after his soph. year. Now he is going to be a senior and he is listed as the last player drafted in the second round. I think AB, Purvis will be here in 2016-17. Unless Dh has a breakout year he will also be back. DH showed last year he got along way to go before he is NBA ready. He does have a lot of potential but right now it is still potential.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Addition by subtraction!?

Damn right! But not as in that other thread...we add by subtracting them from NC State, Cornell, Seton Hall and VCU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It will make practices extremely competitive and make everyone better. I also can't believe Brimah was a 3-star. He plays like a 5 star.

No, no he doesn't. He's a nice player, but he plays like a raw 3 star who was coached up.

Reaction Score
Brimah has gotten better but still raw and a work in progress. That is why he is not listed on NBA draft board. Message board usually over rate their players and think they are going to the NBA way before they are ready. Good example is Marcus Paige of UNC. They had him going after his soph. year. Now he is going to be a senior and he is listed as the last player drafted in the second round. I think AB, Purvis will be here in 2016-17. Unless Dh has a breakout year he will also be back. DH showed last year he got along way to go before he is NBA ready. He does have a lot of potential but right now it is still potential.
I agree about AB and RP but I disagree with your assessment of DHAM. With his skill set all he has to do is improve his shot and selection. If he can do that he will have a breakout year and definitely be a first round pick. Not sure if he will be a lottery pick as teams are so obsessed with physical traits. While he doesn't excel at any of them he is a decent athlete and definitely has an improving handle. If he can get to the next level this upcoming season I don't see any scenario where he isn't an NBA first rounder in '16.

Reaction Score
Well I'm not looking through my rose colored UCONN glasses like some people on the board. Does AB have talent? Sure he does. Was he better than what he was touted coming in? Sure. Is he a sure fire NBA prospect? No way if we watched the same AB that got benched for PN at the end of the year. He would get killed if he played in the NBA as he just doesn't have the strength or ability at this stage. I mean look at the 5 out of conference games last year against top competition(FL, Stanford, West Virginia, Texas, and Duke). He had a total of 20 points and 18 rebounds which is an average of 4 Points and 3.6 Rebounds.

Now with this said if he comes back a different player with strength and better idea of positioning both offensively and defensively due to a full off season I will be very happy. Just at this stage he is a decent college basketball player who is great at blocking shots but not much else. I mean a big reason for increase offensive efficiency is all the passes that DHAM lobbed to him. I like the guy but the verdict is still out if he can improve his game to get to the next level.

"at the end of the year" = "the second half of the Arizona State game." You're so full of it.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Never miss an opportunity to say nothing -

Jon Rothstein quoting someone.

Reaction Score
"at the end of the year" = "the second half of the Arizona State game." You're so full of it.
At least read all of my post. I also talked about our 5 games against good out of conference teams and he averaged 4 pt. and 3.6 rebounds. At least read all of my post. I'm not saying he isn't a decent college player. I'm just saying he isn't a sure thing as far as the NBA. Wow people sure are sensitive on this board about some players. LOL! I like AB and hope he can improve but if you had to bet your life savings on him making an NBA roster would you do it right now? Serious question.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Brimah will make the NBA. I personally wouldn't bet on him being there when he's like 28 though. On the other hand, if he improves his rebounding to even be below average instead of bad, he will be a dominant college player.

Reaction Score
Block this dude @3rdbass from the thread, good Lord give it a rest already
I'm just responding back from other posters. I mean I'm not saying anything bad. I'm just not that high on AB as other posters.

Reaction Score
At least read all of my post. I also talked about our 5 games against good out of conference teams and he averaged 4 pt. and 3.6 rebounds. At least read all of my post. I'm not saying he isn't a decent college player. I'm just saying he isn't a sure thing as far as the NBA. Wow people sure are sensitive on this board about some players. LOL! I like AB and hope he can improve but if you had to bet your life savings on him making an NBA roster would you do it right now? Serious question.

You move the goalline so much that it's impossible to have a semi-intelligent discussion with you. You readily are shifting between (i) only being an adequate college player to (ii) wouldn't be NBA ready today to (iii) not having NBA potential sufficient to be drafted to (iv) he's not like Towns or Okafor or other high-lottery guys. If you think I and others are picking on you, it's entirely because you are unwilling to stick with one standard and attempt to intelligently make your case.

Reaction Score
You move the goalline so much that it's impossible to have a semi-intelligent discussion with you. You readily are shifting between (i) only being an adequate college player to (ii) wouldn't be NBA ready today to (iii) not having NBA potential sufficient to be drafted to (iv) he's not like Towns or Okafor or other high-lottery guys. If you think I and others are picking on you, it's entirely because you are unwilling to stick with one standard and attempt to intelligently make your case.
Sorry, if you think my posts are all over the place. I was initially replying to a post that AB is a sure fire NBA first round pick. I just don't think he is at this stage of development was my point. Can he get there? Sure but he isn't there right now was my point as other posters wanted to point out. Sorry if you think my posts were confusing.

caw

Reaction Score

Yes, but as absurd to say he is a definite first round pick it is also as absurd to say he didn't markedly improve from Freshman to Sophomore year. He did, a lot.

Many of his points may have come from Daniel Hamiltons lobs but how many did he have as a freshman? For that matter, he also hit a good number of jumpers and some hookshots. As previously mentioned, he also fouled less.

Reaction Score
Yes, but as absurd to say he is a definite first round pick it is also as absurd to say he didn't markedly improve from Freshman to Sophomore year. He did, a lot.

Many of his points may have come from Daniel Hamiltons lobs but how many did he have as a freshman? For that matter, he also hit a good number of jumpers and some hookshots. As previously mentioned, he also fouled less.

I don't know exactly how many.

But I do know that he had 3 very very important points as a freshman...

Reaction Score
caw said:
Yes, but as absurd to say he is a definite first round pick it is also as absurd to say he didn't markedly improve from Freshman to Sophomore year. He did, a lot. Many of his points may have come from Daniel Hamiltons lobs but how many did he have as a freshman? For that matter, he also hit a good number of jumpers and some hookshots. As previously mentioned, he also fouled less.

It's also worth pointing out that Nolan, Facey and Lubin pretty much didn't score at all off of Hamilton's lobs. It would lead one to conclude that both halves of the Hamilton to Brimah connection had something to do with that play working effectively.

Finishing lobs was also a skill that Brimah did not show much playing with Bazz, so he did improve his court awareness and ability to read defenses (as well as his coordination finishing). It's a bit of a reach analogy-wise, but he was sort of like a hockey or soccer sniper who gets open in front of the net a lot and gets "cheap" goals, which count the same. It's a valuable skill, even if the end of the play looks easy.

Reaction Score
Brimah will make the NBA. I personally wouldn't bet on him being there when he's like 28 though. On the other hand, if he improves his rebounding to even be below average instead of bad, he will be a dominant college player.
I think this is right. I try to picture Brimah running with Gasol, T.Thompson, Mosgov, Noah, Horford, and the like, and I see him getting run out of the gym. What would it take to get him there? Better base, better at holding his ground, and better at knowing where and when to be for rebounds. I'm not sure how much the kid is hitting the weights, but he desperately needs to put on muscle below the waist. Guys like Durant and Hamilton and Curry and R. Miller can be rail thin because they are unstoppable scorers, and you don't need huge mass to guard most guys playing opposite you. But when is the last time you saw a somewhat awkward, somewhat lanky center play in the NBA? Manute Bol? I'll be among the BY fan base cheering like mad for Brimah to make the NBA and stick in it, but a lot has to happen between now and zen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom