Terry Larrier @ Nike Academy | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Terry Larrier @ Nike Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rodney has hit several cross over 3's in his career. I think he has a couple good 2 dribble moves out of the triple threat. He just can't initiate under pressure. Hopefully he puts in a lot of work there.
His moves out of the triple threat are the hard jab and pull up. You really saw him create seperation in the half court on tape ? He's a fantastic shooter off pin downs or catch n shoot, but his once purported pg abilities in pnr were vastly overrated. What I would like for him is to just fire up threes at will, anytime he gets dimed on the weak side get them up. Pretty much turn into jj redick lite but more athleticism.

Reaction Score
I think he's saying u don't see purvis come down an in out or crossover past his guys. He's okay off the triple threat an in transition. Hasn't been as goood attacking off the bounce or in pick and roll. He is really stiff handling the ball.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why the age thing is an issue. It may be an issue from an NBA/Pro basketball standpoint once they are able to make that jump but as a college player for us who cares? They aren't going to need a walker or the clapper or anything at 21 or 22 most likely so why do we care what age they are?

Reaction Score
I think u start to worry he's not going to improve as much as someone who comes in at 18.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Jalen was in the same boat, turned 21 in December of last year. I don't know why in the case of him and MAL they attend prep schools, graduate, and then do another year at a prep school.
Maybe to learn how to adjust to living away from home, study better and prepare for college (prep school) while polishing their basketball skills.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why the age thing is an issue. It may be an issue from an NBA/Pro basketball standpoint once they are able to make that jump but as a college player for us who cares? They aren't going to need a walker or the clapper or anything at 21 or 22 most likely so why do we care what age they are?
Well said!

Reaction Score
Maybe to learn how to adjust to living away from home, study better and prepare for college (prep school) while polishing their basketball skills.

Cushing Academy is a prep school, they're doing that already. Not sure why basketball has made it seem normal for guys to still be in HS in the year they turn 20.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier 6'8, 190 lbs, 6'10 wingspan, SG, UConn -- Every year it seems someone comes out of the woodwork and surprises based on expectations coming in. This year, that player was Connecticut's Terry Larrier. The VCU transfer still needs to add some weight to his frame, but he showed a lot of promise in the event as a guy that competes hard, has a high skill level and can contribute in a number of areas. He had one of the better shooting forms of all the wing players, showing a nice, high and quick release and also has the ability to catch and shoot or pull up off the dribble. In addition, he has excellent length and seems to give solid effort defensively. He could be primed for a break out season at UConn if he gains confidence quickly. Watch out for Larrier this year as he's a kid with first round talent if things fall into place for him.

Nike Skills Academy: NCAA Prospects | NBADraft.net

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Cushing Academy is a prep school, they're doing that already. Not sure why basketball has made it seem normal for guys to still be in HS in the year they turn 20.

Non-basketball high school kids are more and more 19 years old (at least in the burbs) for the same reason, I expect. To get a leg up on the other kids.

Reaction Score
This is funny to me.

I have watched a lot of basketball. When I watch Purvis (from the first moment or now), I see distinctly a "archetype" that I instantly click into. Ferrari? Yes ... that describes him. And I can remember distinctly a bunch of other guys over the years who ARE physically advanced to others their age; who ARE athletically strong and gifted; but ... they lack the skillset to be great basketball players - and become NBA bound. It is just the way hoop is. You can get to the rim & shed the defender easily. You can defend because you have the raw aggression. You do not star at major college level and never get near the lottery because you lack the core shooting, athleticism demanded at the highest level. Damn good college guy. I saw Purvis and instantly saw that he was around UConn for awhile. I expect great leadership and solid play as a Senior.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I've been pretty excited about the team this year, reading about Larrier has only made that excitement increase.

I think he's the key. If he can surprise everyone and be one of the best players on the team, then I feel really good about our chances this year.

Reaction Score
I think he's the key. If he can surprise everyone and be one of the best players on the team, then I feel really good about our chances this year.

I agree Rico, he's a huge piece. If he can improve his freshman numbers from VCU to say 11/6 with the occasional 18/8 games there's a chance they will be pretty good. I mean maybe we get even more?

Reaction Score
I had a beer with Boo Willingham earlier in the summer and he actually said this exact statement...
makes sense. Larrier being legit first round talent ( in a loaded draft nonetheless) is a big deal, we haven't had a player with that talent really since 2012.

Reaction Score
Draft net updates their 2017 and 2018 mock drafts , Terry Larrier slides in 21 to start the season. Dham & brimah were second round this time last year. Givony & DX are not down with that projection (unranked on their site) but we'll see if larrier proves them wrong soon.

2017 Mock Draft | NBADraft.net
Brimah at 41 and Purvis at 52, as well. Really would love to hear both their names called next draft. Both have meant so much to this university.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom