Tenn's Carter retires [merged threads] | The Boneyard

Tenn's Carter retires [merged threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while that it was unlikely Draya would be back this season. I hope she will get to suit up on Senior Day and at least be on the court one last time.

It was also announced that Cooper is out for the season with a knee injury. It happened while home over the summer.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Andraya Carter: In Her Own Words

"You gave a seven-year-old girl her Lady Vol dream
And I'll always love you for it.
But I can't love you obsessively for much longer.
This season was all I had left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it's time to say goodbye."

:(
What a sad deal - but there's life after bball and it seems like she'll do great things.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Andraya Carter: In Her Own Words

"You gave a seven-year-old girl her Lady Vol dream
And I'll always love you for it.
But I can't love you obsessively for much longer.
This season was all I had left to give.
My heart can take the pounding
My mind can handle the grind
But my body knows it's time to say goodbye."

:(
What a sad deal - but there's life after bball and it seems like she'll do great things.

You're right - she is a gifted athlete and seems to be an outstanding young woman if her thoughtfully-penned "good-bye" is any indication. A really wonderful tip of the cap to her teammates, coaches, and others. Count me as very impressed.

Tough break for Draya; I wish her the best going forward.

Reaction Score
I've been saying for a while that it was unlikely Draya would be back this season. I hope she will get to suit up on Senior Day and at least be on the court one last time.

It was also announced that Cooper is out for the season with a knee injury. It happened while home over the summer.

Wow the Cooper news is big.
That puts roster to 9, and Middleton, Meme, and Nunn will strike fear in no one.
That means starters of Reynolds, DD, Nared, Ruasell.
Who are the 2 I'm forgetting?

Reaction Score
Oh Dunbar and frosh Harris.
Nunn may be not bad. I was thinking of Harris - an unheralded frosh post is prob not going to be a big contributor her first year.

So starting 5 of Reynokds, Nared, DD, Nunn, Russell ?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That puts roster to 9, and Middleton, Meme, and Nunn will strike fear in no one.
Kortney Dunbar, Kamera Harris?

Plebe

Reaction Score

No doubt they will be HEAVILY reliant on the quartet of DeShields-Russell-Nared-Reynolds. In a way maybe this is a good thing, as it could bring some stability to their starting lineup — something they haven't had in a very long time.

But with the loss of Cooper, is there anyone on the roster who can play PG?

HGN

Reaction Score
I am sorry to hear the news on Andraya...............I liked her toughness and grit.

Hopefully Holly will keep her on scholarship. And maybe later as a graduate assistant.

Reaction Score
No doubt they will be HEAVILY reliant on the quartet of DeShields-Russell-Nared-Reynolds. In a way maybe this is a good thing, as it could bring some stability to their starting lineup — something they haven't had in a very long time.

Diamond - - - - - and it would be a

th

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
That's sad but I am glad she was able to handle it so well.

Reaction Score

Isnt Reynolds a PG?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Isnt Reynolds a PG?

I honestly don't know; that's how little I watched them last year. I had the impression she was more of an off guard.

Reaction Score
Always liked Carter as I saw her as similar to K. Farris: a hard nosed player who will do anything for the team.
A hard blow for TN as without Carter and Cooper the PG duties falls on Reynolds and Middleton who are both more of 2G than PG.
I do assume that they'll use DD as a point forward

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Not surprised by the decision by Carter. I loved the way she played. Cooper I was expecting a big year so that one hurts. Diamond is in good health according to Holly. So that's a positive.

Reaction Score
I am sorry to hear the news on Andraya.....I liked her toughness and grit.

Hopefully Holly will keep her on scholarship. And maybe later as a graduate assistant.

Poor child. Her parents must be so worried about her. The knee injuries are the real dark side of women's collegiate basketball. Really hope doctors can figure out a way to keep knees from ripping.

All the best of luck to her. Hope she makes a major recovery, and lives the rest of her life in good health.

Reaction Score
Oh Dunbar and frosh Harris.
Nunn may be not bad. I was thinking of Harris - an unheralded frosh post is prob not going to be a big contributor her first year.

So starting 5 of Reynokds, Nared, DD, Nunn, Russell ?

If DD and Russell can finally live up to promise, Tenn can be a top 10 team. That's a big if.
If they repeat last year Tenn won't be top 25.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Carter has a good head on her: "Yet, in addition to all of those things, I wanted to go to bed at night and wake up the next morning without pain. I wanted to be able to sit down and stand up like a healthy 22-year-old should, and, even more so, I wanted to be able to walk and run without trouble as I continue to get older."

As far as DD and Russell go, the proof will be in the pudding. And Holly says DD has put her "leg issues" behind her, but she was cleared to play international ball about this time last year and could not get through a game and did not practice for months. Russell kept drifting outside last year. Curious to see how they use her this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
If DD and Russell can finally live up to promise, Tenn can be a top 10 team. That's a big if.
If they repeat last year Tenn won't be top 25.

I'm going to wax optimistic for a moment and posit that maybe, just maybe, Russell's development in her first two years was inhibited by the presence of Harrison and Graves, who were the consummate workhorses in the lane. With no other big to defer to, Russell may finally emerge as the dominant center she was projected as.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Draya was the "voice of the team," in good times and bad
When things were at their darkest, she was a voice of reason and restraint.
I'm sorry we (collectively) have to lose her, a fine young woman; played hard, if not always to the best effect.

Her loss and that of Cooper denudes the backcourt, there are two legitimate starters left.
If Holly truly is a coach, she will fashion some sort of a team out of the remainders.
But it would be a miracle job for the most gifted in her profession
And there are those who submit that she lacks those qualities; even basic competence.
Time will tell.
I predict the bottom third of the conference for UTenn, few recruits, and a new (quite splendid coach) for the following season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Best of luck to Draya and Te'a for speedy recoveries. Injuries suck! On Draya she certainly had my admiration because she was truly the rare Lady Vols who truly understood that playing winning basketball required effort on both ends of the court. Off the basketball court she won more of my admiration by demonstrating incredible poise with her articulate responses at the post game presser after some tough losses. Draya was an incredible leader who understood what needed to be done to win and more than willing to do her part. Draya was robbed by her teammates and let down by her head coach. Her Teammates were not willing to do their part and the HC was equally unwilling to hold those not doing their part accountable.

Reaction Score
Things don't better after this year.
The 2017-18 roster loses Reynolds & Nunn, adding back Cooper and the JUCO transfer for 9. Plus DD & Russell will be eligible to go pro. Or be graduate transfers.
Recruiting will be essential.

Subpar results this both on-court and in recruiting could finally doom Holly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom