Tennessee Women's Team HIt With Off Season Injury Bug | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Women's Team HIt With Off Season Injury Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't know if there is any differences between D1 to D3, but my daughter has to have a physical before she goes back to school. Last year when she fractured her ankle, she started physical therapy before she left. Once she got to school, she worked with the trainer. The trainer was the one that cleared her to play.
Good catch. The general physical is an annual requirement just prior to going back to school.

Reaction Score
Trust me, the injury cloud has been at Tennessee for many years:

2016: Bashaara Graves (back), Diamond DeShields (knee/shins), Draya Carter (knee), Jasmine Jones (concussions), Jaime Nared (broken hand)
2015: Mercedes Russell (feet), Izzy Harrison (ACL), Jannah Tucker (knee), Jasmine Jones(concussions)
2014: Ariel Massengale (concussions)
2013: Draya Carter (shoulder)
2012: Taber Spani (back), Kamiko Williams (ACL)
2011: Lyssi Brewer (achilles), Angie Bjorklund (back), Baugh (knee), Kelley Cain (knee)
2010 : Faith Dupree (back), Amber Gray (stroke)
2009: Kelley Cain (knee), Angie Bjorklund (back), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2008: Candace Parker (shoulder), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Kelley Cain (knee), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2007: healthy
2006: Alexis Hornbuckle (broken wrist)
2005: Candace Parker (ACL), Sidney Spencer (ACL), Sade Wiley Gatewood (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL), Loree Moore (knee)
2004: Loree Moore (ACL)
2003: healthy
2002: Ashley Robinson (ACL)
2001: Tamika Catchings (ACL)
2000: Ace Clement (ankle)

That's quite a list. The last two years have been particularly brutal though.

BTW I just recognized your avatar. Go Raiders!!!!

Reaction Score
Add in Burdick who missed a month her freshman or sophomore year, Ariel missed time her freshman year and was shut down after that season for a period of time due to injuries. Injuries have not been kind to us. Baugh was the toughest to see go through what she did. We lost players for good in Jones, Cain, McMahan, Avant (who couldn't compete at a high level due to injuries but transferred to D2 or D3). Alex Fuller was a top 5 recruit in Parker's class that never fully recovered from knee injuries in high school. 2005 was a tough year because we were in the final four, well on our way to beating Michigan State before that collapse while Parker, Spencer and Fuller along with others sat injured on the bench.

I will say this though, Tennessee is certainly not alone in this predicament on a consistent basis. Texas, USC, UConn and Georgia all have had periods of years it seems they could never catch an injury break that I can remember clearly.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
After her injury while at Tennessee. I sent her a get well card. I got this in the mail soon after.

That speaks so well of her to respond with a hand-written note. Thanks for sharing.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
That's literally all Tennessee has on board right now for 2017-18. There's no telling if any of the 2017 kids they want will come to Knoxville, or that Russell/Deshields will stay. If this crop performs anything like they did the majority of last year, it honestly isn't unrealistic that Tennessee could have a losing record in 2018.

I think the key is how DD approaches next season. Although there was probably more influencing her attitude than this, I believe a significant drag on her her behavior was nagging injuries. If she is healthy and can maintain a positive outlook, she has the potential to carry the team. I expect that despite the thin roster, they can have a season better than last year.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think the key is how DD approaches next season. Although there was probably more influencing her attitude than this, I believe a significant drag on her her behavior was nagging injuries. If she is healthy and can maintain a positive outlook, she has the potential to carry the team. I expect that despite the thin roster, they can have a season better than last year.
Right now she is in better health than last year. I think that will help her a lot going in to the season.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Draya still hasn't been involved in practices, and it's likely she won't.

I would love to see her suit up on Senior Night one last time, just to get the recognition she deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom