Tennessee Women's Team HIt With Off Season Injury Bug | The Boneyard

Tennessee Women's Team HIt With Off Season Injury Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think Nared can have a real good year. I like what this article says about her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The part about Te'a Cooper is a bit cryptic. The staff "is concerned about her condition." What does that mean?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
The part Te'a Cooper is a bit cryptic. The staff "is concerned about her condition." What does that mean?
A knee issue it doest say exactly what .

Reaction Score
Per Raul: Vol's difficult off season that much tougher with mounting injuries

Lady Vols’ offseason not routine because of Pat Summitt’s death

"Lockwood also said guard Andraya Carter has not joined the workouts. Warlick said last month that she didn't foresee the redshirt senior guard 'making it through another year' because of knee pain."

This is so sad. These young ladies are practically kids. But knee pain won't permit her to play? I feel so sad for these young people who are permanently hobbled, and may have to suffer chronic pain the rest of their lives. Carter's parents must be heart-broken.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Odd the article doesn't even mention Diamond DeShields...

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
"Lockwood also said guard Andraya Carter has not joined the workouts. Warlick said last month that she didn't foresee the redshirt senior guard 'making it through another year' because of knee pain."

This is so sad. These young ladies are practically kids. But knee pain won't permit her to play? I feel so sad for these young people who are permanently hobbled, and may have to suffer chronic pain the rest of their lives. Carter's parents must be heart-broken.

It wasn't a guarantee Draya would make it through last season. Her knees are basically being held together by duct tape.

Regarding Cooper, she hasn't been evaluated by the UT medical staff. Until that happens, the coaches won't know for certain. I saw her at the memorial, and she didn't see to be walking with a limp or anything.

Reaction Score
What is it with Tennessee & injuries the past few years? Did something change in Knoxville's drinking water?!?!?

Perhaps it is time to hire a new conditioning coach and/or trainer.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Trust me, the injury cloud has been at Tennessee for many years:

2016: Bashaara Graves (back), Diamond DeShields (knee/shins), Draya Carter (knee), Jasmine Jones (concussions), Jaime Nared (broken hand)
2015: Mercedes Russell (feet), Izzy Harrison (ACL), Jannah Tucker (knee), Jasmine Jones(concussions)
2014: Ariel Massengale (concussions)
2013: Draya Carter (shoulder)
2012: Taber Spani (back), Kamiko Williams (ACL)
2011: Lyssi Brewer (achilles), Angie Bjorklund (back), Baugh (knee), Kelley Cain (knee)
2010 : Faith Dupree (back), Amber Gray (stroke)
2009: Kelley Cain (knee), Angie Bjorklund (back), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2008: Candace Parker (shoulder), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Kelley Cain (knee), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2007: healthy
2006: Alexis Hornbuckle (broken wrist)
2005: Candace Parker (ACL), Sidney Spencer (ACL), Sade Wiley Gatewood (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL), Loree Moore (knee)
2004: Loree Moore (ACL)
2003: healthy
2002: Ashley Robinson (ACL)
2001: Tamika Catchings (ACL)
2000: Ace Clement (ankle)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A little Math: Last season the roster was 12; 2 graduated (Graves, Moore) no recruits=10
Now two guards are questionable...that makes 8
Pardon my lack of research and memory...din't a player leave the team because of injury and a JUCO pick-up.

OK, I'll go look at their board:

Posters are talking about the possibility of 9 players; Draya may wrap up her career.

A bit thin, overall, no post depth, weak outside shooting, ball handling, 2 (theoretically) proficient players to double-team.

Let's note their early Autumn calls for a National Championship...more likely, bottom third of SEC

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Trust me, the injury cloud has been at Tennessee for many years:

2016: Bashaara Graves (back), Diamond DeShields (knee/shins), Draya Carter (knee), Jasmine Jones (concussions), Jaime Nared (broken hand)
2015: Mercedes Russell (feet), Izzy Harrison (ACL), Jannah Tucker (knee), Jasmine Jones(concussions)
2014: Ariel Massengale (concussions)
2013: Draya Carter (shoulder)
2012: Taber Spani (back), Kamiko Williams (ACL)
2011: Lyssi Brewer (achilles), Angie Bjorklund (back), Baugh (knee), Kelley Cain (knee)
2010 : Faith Dupree (back), Amber Gray (stroke)
2009: Kelley Cain (knee), Angie Bjorklund (back), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2008: Candace Parker (shoulder), Vicki Baugh (ACL), Kelley Cain (knee), Cait McMahan (ACL)
2007: healthy
2006: Alexis Hornbuckle (broken wrist)
2005: Candace Parker (ACL), Sidney Spencer (ACL), Sade Wiley Gatewood (ACL), Alex Fuller (ACL), Loree Moore (knee)
2004: Loree Moore (ACL)
2003: healthy
2002: Ashley Robinson (ACL)
2001: Tamika Catchings (ACL)
2000: Ace Clement (ankle)

Yikes that is quite a list. I did my best attempt at compiling this list on VolNation but it wasn't nearly as complete. With all of the injuries and lack of recruiting, honestly the future isn't looking good for Tennessee. No recruits for 2017 and they weren't able to land a top 100 kid for 2016.

When you look at the projected lineup for 2017-18, it is flat out scary for UT fans if Russell and DeShields both leave:

So-Kamara Harris, wasn't on any top 100 lists

Jr-Cheridene Grene, JUCO transfer who will be coming off an ACL injury

Jr-Meme Jackson, very athletic but didn't show anything last year that indicates she'll be a rotation player this season. Knee issues per the article.

Jr-Te'a Cooper, McDy's AA but injury reports this year. Knee issues per the article

Sr-Kortney Dunbar, #78 recruit, good shooter but hasn't proven much else so far

Sr-Alexa Middleton, a top 25 kid who has really struggled her first 2 years

Sr-Jaime Nared, #6 recruit by Hoopgurlz, ranked in the top 25 by most others, she appears to have more promise than anyone on this roster.

That's literally all Tennessee has on board right now for 2017-18. There's no telling if any of the 2017 kids they want will come to Knoxville, or that Russell/Deshields will stay. If this crop performs anything like they did the majority of last year, it honestly isn't unrealistic that Tennessee could have a losing record in 2018.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
A little Math: Last season the roster was 12; 2 graduated (Graves, Moore) no recruits=10
Now two guards are questionable...that makes 8
Pardon my lack of research and memory...din't a player leave the team because of injury and a JUCO pick-up.

OK, I'll go look at their board:

Posters are talking about the possibility of 9 players; Draya may wrap up her career.

A bit thin, overall, no post depth, weak outside shooting, ball handling, 2 (theoretically) proficient players to double-team.

Let's note their early Autumn calls for a National Championship...more likely, bottom third of SEC

We ended up with three new players coming in, but only two will play. Kamera Harris from Georgia is a Freshman, and Schaquilla Nunn is a graduate transfer, so only for one season. Cheridenne Green is a JUCO, so she is sitting out this year. Jasmine Jones couldn't be cleared due to concussions so she will not be back. No one knows the status of Cooper at this point.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I thought JUCOs could start immediately?

She is redshirting due to an ACL. She is having surgery at UT and rehabbing this year, so she will have two season beginning in 2017-2018.

Reaction Score
We ended up with three new players coming in, but only two will play. Kamera Harris from Georgia is a Freshman, and Schaquilla Nunn is a graduate transfer, so only for one season. Cheridenne Green is a JUCO, so she is sitting out this year. Jasmine Jones couldn't be cleared due to concussions so she will not be back. No one knows the status of Cooper at this point.

So that means 10?

Cooper (So) - Reynolds (Sr) - DeShields (Jr) - Dunbar (Jr) - Russell (Jr)

Nared (Jr) - Middleton (Jr)
Jackson (So) - Harris (Fr) - Nunn (Sr)

That could be a decent top 6. But that bench is pretty bad.

Reaction Score
She is redshirting due to an ACL. She is having surgery at UT and rehabbing this year, so she will have two season beginning in 2017-2018.

Ok. So it's because of the injury. Not because shes a JUCO (right?).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Curious do schools give physicals on players prior to signing scholarship papers? Are players awarded a scholarship and then when players officially arrive at school get a physical? I presume its the latter as I hear frequently about players having a surgery after they arrive on a campus. Of course that could also be made by prior agreement to save families cost of the surgery.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Attachments

• 20160720_063128.jpg
    20160720_063128.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 73

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Curious do schools give physicals on players prior to signing scholarship papers? Are players awarded a scholarship and then when players officially arrive at school get a physical? I presume its the latter as I hear frequently about players having a surgery after they arrive on a campus. Of course that could also be made by prior agreement to save families cost of the surgery.

Since she is going to be in Tennessee for the next two/three years, it makes sense for her to have the surgery here. She could've had the surgery in NY, but that could've caused some issues with her rehab physicians communicating with her procedure physician.

It's better if both teams are in the same city and not across the country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Things might have changed but my recollection is that a general Physical by family physician must be completed within the a year prior to signing the NLI papers. Since this is a general physical it might discover things requiring surgery like Napheesa and Crystal had. After they get to campus and work with the trainers for a little while a more detailed medical management happens. I'm not sure that is in the form of another physical just normal day to day like "coach my hip is hurting me", "really, go see the trainer", " let's see what the doctor thinks"- "Doc is recommending surgery", "Let's call your parents ".

Reaction Score
I don't know if there is any differences between D1 to D3, but my daughter has to have a physical before she goes back to school. Last year when she fractured her ankle, she started physical therapy before she left. Once she got to school, she worked with the trainer. The trainer was the one that cleared her to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom