Tennessee non conference schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee non conference schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Should be an interesting year for Tennessee. In theory the lineup should be similar to last year's, sub Nunn for Graves. Nunn did a good job at a weak program, but to expect her to fill Bashaara's shoes is a bit optimistic. There are multiple injury issues--it looks like Carter might be out, no one knows what the deal is the Cooper. Even if those 2 cannot play, Tennessee still has horses to put together a really good team, it will all come down to chemistry and coaching. If players share the ball and bring the intensity they brought vs. Arizona State and Ohio State, Tennessee could be a Final Four squad. If they don't, it could be another 10 loss year. Will they buy into Holly's system? Will her system work? Will the team dynamic be there? We shall see.

I do like the non-conference schedule though. It's definitely not as intimidating as it has been in the past, but there are still some big challenges on there in Texas, Baylor, ND and Stanford. The only game where I think Tennessee has a good chance is against Stanford, but those will all be good barometers for Tennessee to know what it will be like playing against a Final Four caliber team. The SEC should be solid next year and SC will be a huge game, but overall I like the schedule for Tennessee.
I really think that Diamond, especially, and Mercedes depart Knoxville after this year. Do you have any objective inside word? What do you honestly think?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I'm a little confused about Nunn... So she didn't play 15-16 for Winthrop right? She also missed half of the year before for them? Maybe I'm reading wrong but when was the last time she played basketball? Two years ago?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think Miss St. Will be good. I think Kentucky will be better. Also Texas A&M will be good.

Texas A&M loses Courtney Williams, Jordan Jones, and Courtney Walker. Those three accounted for more than half of their points and more than two-thirds of their assists. I am having a hard time envisioning A&M as anything more than mediocre next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Texas A&M loses Courtney Williams, Jordan Jones, and Courtney Walker. Those three accounted for more than half of their points and more than two-thirds of their assists. I am having a hard time envisioning A&M as anything more than mediocre next year.
I was thinking along the same lines.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Maybe not like old times, but it could be surprisingly competitive: a team with something to prove is a very dangerous thing.
That's fair, but how about we take baby steps. First they have to prove they are the Queens of the SEC... then we can talk.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Which player Diamond or Mercedes has to have a great year? For Tennessee to be successful.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Which player Diamond or Mercedes has to have a great year? For Tennessee to be successful.
What Diamond gave last year should have been enough if she had the right supporting cast. I think her numbers on the year were basically the same as her last year at North Carolina she just had the appropriate players around her.

If Diamond gives atleast what she gave last year (+ a couple more points a game which she could do by just being more efficient) and Merecedes can put up 3 to 5 more points a game then you have the start of something good. I repeat the START... of something good. It can't be either or really. Everyone has to do their part but it MUST with them. They were both number 1 in their respective classes right? Well, no excuses... it's time to lead the way.

Reaction Score
Unless, the opponent throws a zone defense at them. All bets will be off. (See last year.) Hopefully, Mercedes will develop this year and provide the extra points you mentioned .

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Unless, the opponent throws a zone defense at them. All bets will be off. (See last year.) Hopefully, Mercedes will develop this year and provide the extra points you mentioned .
True. However, I would certainly hope the coaching staff took the summer to work on their responsibility to the team as well. A coach & his or her staff can never stop learning. The Lady Vol fans might not be able to handle another roller coaster season. The staff has to accept their fault for what happened the season prior as well.

I believe Creme and the final polls had them @ somewhere around 19 as far as ranking for the upcoming season.... with two #1 players in the starting line up, these aren't freshman, we are talking two redshirt juniors. That should be enough of a slap in the face to get everyone on he same page.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
No matter how well Diamond or Mercedes plays the team will have limited success simply because of the type of offense they play. Playing a double post, which many teams in the SEC use, will gain them some success during the season. But once they face the better teams in the top ten they will be hard pressed to score more than 60 points or so, and they will find themselves on the short end of 10 and 20 point losses. It all comes down to coaching and an offensive scheme that time has passed by.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
That's fair, but how about we take baby steps. First they have to prove they are the Queens of the SEC... then we can talk.

I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially not this season. Tennessee has to come to Columbia for our regular season game and the SEC Tournament is in South Carolina this year. I've already ordered my tickets.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
No matter how well Diamond or Mercedes plays the team will have limited success simply because of the type of offense they play. Playing a double post, which many teams in the SEC use, will gain them some success during the season. But once they face the better teams in the top ten they will be hard pressed to score more than 60 points or so, and they will find themselves on the short end of 10 and 20 point losses. It all comes down to coaching and an offensive scheme that time has passed by.

How are they going to play a double post without Baashara?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How are they going to play a double post without Baashara?
Think they'll change? They've somehow found a way to play that double post since Summitt was their coach. Do you think Warlick will suddenly show enough imagination to change their scheme?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I don't see that happening anytime soon, especially not this season. Tennessee has to come to Columbia for our regular season game and the SEC Tournament is in South Carolina this year. I've already ordered my tickets.

Greenville is an awesome spot for the tournament.

Reaction Score
What Diamond gave last year should have been enough if she had the right supporting cast.

IMO, you hit the nail on the head. Diamond spent all season looking for some Doo-Wops. Like UConn, Tennessee basketball doesn't work that way; it is a TEAM-based concept (basketball is a team sport, right?). You have to be every bit as willing to be a Supreme as to be Diana Ross, depending on the situation.

Until she learns that lesson she will be mired in mediocrity, showing occasional flashes of brilliance, but never reaching her potential. She'll go to the WNBA, play for a middling team, and struggle with her daemons there, as well.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I no longer have any interest in a mediocre team like Tennessee or their despicable VN fan base. Even JPM's rants are more interesting.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
IMO, you hit the nail on the head. Diamond spent all season looking for some Doo-Wops. Like UConn, Tennessee basketball doesn't work that way; it is a TEAM-based concept (basketball is a team sport, right?). You have to be every bit as willing to be a Supreme as to be Diana Ross, depending on the situation.

Until she learns that lesson she will be mired in mediocrity, showing occasional flashes of brilliance, but never reaching her potential. She'll go to the WNBA, play for a middling team, and struggle with her daemons there, as well.

Diamond will never be mired in mediocrity. Last season, she was mired in coming off of a major injury and wasn't near 100%. The biggest issue she had was her mind was telling her to do the same things she's done a thousand times, but her body was not yet ready to cooperate. This season will be the first time in 3 years that she will be healthy.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Leghorn... you go everywhere, wanna adopt me?

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score

Any Diana Ross reference is an automatic like. I hope the staff didn't bring her in to "save the day" that would just be silly. She can only go so far by her lonesome. What she needs is a bit of refinement and some help. Really though, anyone can provide the help just get her some, but I still believe Russell has to be the 1st to offer help and the others will follow.... hopefully.

You gotta think as pitiful as their offense was last year she gave about as much as you could expect given the circumstances. As soon as it was zone defense and they were forced to play in the half court it was pretty much over with in terms of points for them. The coaching staff has to go back to fundamentals because either players themselves don't know how to beat a zone or the coaching staff doesn't either way someone's basketball IQ is not up to par.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom