Tennessee (merged threads) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tennessee (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Eric: You and Milford are right of course. My quality wins and the NCAA's are certainly different (LOL). However, I still believe this strength of sched formula is a joke and have thought so for a long time. Probably makes more sense on the guys sides where upsets are more common and talent distributed more evenly. My bottom line for the Vols is their standing in their League. I know if UCONN were in the SEC and we finished 9th I couldn't advocate a post season invitation no matter how much I love them. The SEC certainly isn't that strong. In fact IMO it's been over rated for years. Maybe they should re-evaluate what playing SEC teams should do for your SOS.
I wish they had 25 quality losses. ;)

Reaction Score
Jim Foster-he's already in the state,@ TN Chattanooga has coached in SEC @Vanderbilt)=recruiting contacts and has experience running a program in P5 conference-(Ohio State).

That'd be like saying UConn should hire C Viv if Geno left.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You weren't on the Boneyard during the time of the NCAA investigation and didn't see the vitriol and spewing of lies by a handful of whackadoos in the Tennessee fan base. Part of the complaint was based on posts from the Boneyard and gathered by minions of the Head Whackadoo. Boneyarders, including me, were called to task by the UConn Compliance Department and its lawyers. I, personally received a slew of nasty, vile PMs from Tennessee fans due to my support of Geno and the UConn Athletic Department and I was actually condemned to eternal damnation by one particularly loopy person.

I have no animus towards the young women at Tennessee but the small group of fans that did their best to make trouble for UConn, the Boneyard, and Boneyarders can all go pound sand. The more miserable they are because of the performance of their basketball team is okey-dokey with me and, no, I don't care if that sounds juvenile.
Nan, I can totally understand your feelings toward that subset of LV fans, but would you carry that to the point of opposing a re-initiation of the UConn-Tennessee regular season game (assuming that the LV team becomes competitive again, somehow)? Would you insist on a public apology before that occurs? As I've said before, it seems completely unfair to penalize current players on both teams who had no involvement in those now-ancient events, and (frankly) it is also unfair to us fans who just want to see a good game, to refuse to play them except on a condition that we know they cannot possibly accept?

It's true that Holly was around when that all happened, so she might not be totally blameless, even though I suspect that her role in what happened was extremely minimal. But if Holly leaves the scene and a new coach comes to Knoxville who was totally uninvolved in that episode, would that (in your mind) be enough to allow the series to resume without preconditions?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've been saying for years that some conferences and some teams have learned to manipulate the ratings by having soft OOC schedules. One proposal I've heard is to apply more weight to SOS of OOC games, especially road games, and under value games against teams in your own conference. The theory being that teams have little or no control over the strength of their conference opponents. I could be mistaken, but the last time I read anything about the current formula the NCAA didn't even factor in road versus home games.

It's my understanding that the RPI for men's NCAA basketball is weighted for home/away games (x 0.6/1.4, IIRC), but not for any other sport, including WCBB.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I can totally understand your feelings toward that subset of LV fans, but would you carry that to the point of opposing a re-initiation of the UConn-Tennessee regular season game (assuming that the LV team becomes competitive again, somehow)? Would you insist on a public apology before that occurs? As I've said before, it seems completely unfair to penalize current players on both teams who had no involvement in those now-ancient events, and (frankly) it is also unfair to us fans who just want to see a good game, to refuse to play them except on a condition that we know they cannot possibly accept?

It's true that Holly was around when that all happened, so she might not be totally blameless, even though I suspect that her role in what happened was extremely minimal. But if Holly leaves the scene and a new coach comes to Knoxville who was totally uninvolved in that episode, would that (in your mind) be enough to allow the series to resume without preconditions?
I don't oppose a game vs Tennessee but it's not particularly relevant at this point, IMO. PHS is no longer coach and unless Tennessee hires someone that can inspire UConn fans to care about the game, I don't know why anyone wants this matchup. If, say, Courtney Banghart were the LV coach, I'd have a hard time feeling that I want to see Lou drop 40 points on her and then punch something orange. Tennessee is no longer a rival in any way, shape, or form so to me a game would be just another out of conference date on the schedule.

As for the apology thing, I don't care about publicly humiliating anyone from Tennessee. If Warlick or the AD privately apologized to the Moore family, I'd be good with that.

To be clear, my anger is directed at the Tin Foil Hat Brigade, Cronan, and Summit, although that's faded due to the fact that paranoia is an early sign of dementia. I just don't care about Tennessee, the university, any more. The only reason I watch the games is to enjoy the Brigade's misery. I do like to watch other teams when I can, though, and Tennessee is still a "name".

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

The University of Tennessee as an institution put their reputation, weight, and support behind Pat in her attempt to tear down Uconn, Geno, and both Maya and her mother. That is pretty reprehensible considering the tissue of lies that the complaint contained. No one connected with the university, the program, or Pat has ever apologized. While Uconn and Geno are big enough to move on, and both Moore and her mother have I suspect in christian charity forgiven them, there is no reason why they need to have anything to do with Tennessee and the Lady Vols program. It certainly hasn't hurt Uconn or Geno or the players who have passed through the program since to not being playing TN, and as far as I can see it hasn't impacted any of the TN players either. So what is lost?

At this point and for most of the intervening time, a game against TN would be a complete mismatch. Uconn would get the chance to stomp on the ashes of a once proud program which would only make TN fans more bitter, and emphasize how far they have fallen. Would the basketball world rejoice seeing a smack down like the game against Texas in the NCAAs last year, or would it just generate more columns of 'women's basketball is broken because uconn is too good.' There are lots of good rivalries in the women's game today and there is no reason to dwell on something whose time is long gone. And there is absolutely no reason for Uconn to go against their principles and schedule TN. If it happens in the NCAA some day, and it surely will eventually, fine. if not forget it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I've said before, it seems completely unfair to penalize current players on both teams who had no involvement in those now-ancient events,
Why? They chose to go to TN. Even though the KKK, Nazi Party and the Empire aren't really the same as they used to be, I still hold people in contempt who chose to join them.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Why? They chose to go to TN. Even though the KKK, Nazi Party and the Empire aren't really the same as they used to be, I still hold people in contempt who chose to join them.
My image of you is that of a Union veteran who, 75 years after Appomattox, still thinks that it is every Northerner's patriotic duty to hate all Southerners.

From what I've read, there weren't too many of those people. But I'm sure there were a few.

Reaction Score
Mine sure does. Graves was extremely promising as a freshman, already then a rebounding phenomenon. Like many other LV players of recent years, though, she seemed to plateau by her sophomore year. It's gotta kill her to be having this kind of a senior year. Carter was actually more articulate and expressive than Holly about how the team has underachieved and how they need to respond. These are good kids in a bad situation.
Hard to watch and can't imagine how hard it was to actually be there. One comment from one of their boards, "hate the gray uniforms, they should be burned with the players still in them" is a shocking reminder of how the web brings out the very worst in some people. Troublesome that on a few UConn boards things are sliding in that direction.

Reaction Score
Watch ESPN replays. But I think your cable package must included the SEC network for you to see this replay.
Thanks, You are right. I cannot see the replay.
This is the video I want to see how Tenn players not to score ~~~

Reaction Score
Geno said: Thanks God she didn't come to UConn

I'm not so sure. With a firm hand and constant guidance from great coaches, I think DeShields would have prospered. She would have been integrated into the UConn system, which emphasizes the team. I think she would have been great, and the team would have been great. But we'll never know for sure. At least while he was recruiting her for all those months or years, Coach Geno didn't give up on her, didn't see hints of an unworkable personality. He wanted her in Storrs.

Reaction Score
In fairness, wins over the RPI top 50 and/or over other at-large teams are generally considered quality wins. Tennessee has wins at Oregon State (#7 RPI), over Syracuse (#17, currently projected as a 4-seed), and at Missouri (#29, projected 6-seed). Chattanooga (#50) and Albany (#51) are borderline top-50 wins, but neither would be likely to get an at-large bid (currently projected as 13-seeds). Auburn, though only 60-ish in the RPI, is a bubble team.

That makes one excellent win, two solid quality wins, and three kinda good wins. Of course those are counterbalanced by the four losses to teams outside the RPI top 100.
Auburn shouldn't even be in consideration for a tournament berth, the Pac 12, and SEC have gamed the system by having scheduled games against each other. Notice how the only school that scheduled UConn this year from either of those conferences was South Carolina. When no-one from your conference is willing to schedule the best team in the country you should be penalized.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
where is Aurabass...

Whoa! A blast form the past. It was one of the primary Orange s.

My feelings about playing UTenn again. If they (the university) apologize for what they did, UConn should consider it and then opt out since playing such a ratty ass program would have an adverse impact on their OOC schedule. UTenn is no longer a factor in WCBB. They are just the latest in a long line of teams that used to be somebody.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
where is Aurabass...

Whoa! A blast form the past. It was one of the primary Orange s.

My feelings about playing UTenn again. If they (the university) apologize for what they did, UConn should consider it and then opt out since playing such a ratty ass program would have an adverse impact on their OOC schedule. UTenn is no longer a factor in WCBB. They are just the latest in a long line of teams that used to be somebody.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You weren't on the Boneyard during the time of the NCAA investigation and didn't see the vitriol and spewing of lies by a handful of whackadoos in the Tennessee fan base. Part of the complaint was based on posts from the Boneyard and gathered by minions of the Head Whackadoo. Boneyarders, including me, were called to task by the UConn Compliance Department and its lawyers. I, personally received a slew of nasty, vile PMs from Tennessee fans due to my support of Geno and the UConn Athletic Department and I was actually condemned to eternal damnation by one particularly loopy person.

I have no animus towards the young women at Tennessee but the small group of fans that did their best to make trouble for UConn, the Boneyard, and Boneyarders can all go pound sand. The more miserable they are because of the performance of their basketball team is okey-dokey with me and, no, I don't care if that sounds juvenile.

I wasn't there
It sounds horrible.
But to wish on any team or group of kids the ongoing catastrophe which is the UTenn season
Is uncharitable, unChristian (I'm a Jew) and beneath the dignity of this board.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The University of Tennessee as an institution put their reputation, weight, and support behind Pat in her attempt to tear down Uconn, Geno, and both Maya and her mother. That is pretty reprehensible considering the tissue of lies that the complaint contained. No one connected with the university, the program, or Pat has ever apologized. While Uconn and Geno are big enough to move on, and both Moore and her mother have I suspect in christian charity forgiven them, there is no reason why they need to have anything to do with Tennessee and the Lady Vols program. It certainly hasn't hurt Uconn or Geno or the players who have passed through the program since to not being playing TN, and as far as I can see it hasn't impacted any of the TN players either. So what is lost?

At this point and for most of the intervening time, a game against TN would be a complete mismatch. Uconn would get the chance to stomp on the ashes of a once proud program which would only make TN fans more bitter, and emphasize how far they have fallen. Would the basketball world rejoice seeing a smack down like the game against Texas in the NCAAs last year, or would it just generate more columns of 'women's basketball is broken because uconn is too good.' There are lots of good rivalries in the women's game today and there is no reason to dwell on something whose time is long gone. And there is absolutely no reason for Uconn to go against their principles and schedule TN. If it happens in the NCAA some day, and it surely will eventually, fine. if not forget it.

What he said. Spot on.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
My image of you is that of a Union veteran who, 75 years after Appomattox, still thinks that it is every Northerner's patriotic duty to hate all Southerners.

From what I've read, there weren't too many of those people. But I'm sure there were a few.

Re: Your response to Meyers

Really? We're talking basketball rivalry and you want to do character assassination?

BTW, I have had the great honor of knowning several WWII vets who hated the Japanese until the day they died.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Charlie just said this in an interview on ESPN about the importance of the Georgia game to Tennessee's tournament hopes:

"It's monumental, to be honest with you. With the losing streak and the fact that both of those last two losses were to teams outside the top 100 RPI puts their team in the type of conversation it's never been in before, which is, they may not make the tournament. Without a win on Sunday against Georgia, I would almost put them out at that point, and then certainly a loss in the first round of the SEC tournament would almost assuredly leave them out of the field of 64. So Sunday is the pivotal game for the Lady Vols: beat Georgia, probably in my mind end up in the field when all is said and done; but don't beat Georgia, and it's gonna take a win, maybe even a super-big upset in the SEC tournament beyond their first game for the Lady Vols to get into the NCAA tournament."

()

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline