Tenn up by 2 at the half against unranked Arkansas | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tenn up by 2 at the half against unranked Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well for Stewart, that kind of is struggling. ;)
True. I mean I neglected to mention that over her first 10 games, she scored more points than any other freshman to that point in UCONN history. Yes she went into a funk that caused her to struggle for most of the remainder of the season until the BET and NCAA's, but the only thing basketball related that Russell and Stewart have in common with regards to statistics, etc, is that they both were the top rated players in their classes, and both were freshman at one time...

Reaction Score
I am sure you are well aware of why there is a bit of an edge to posts about the LVs.

As for the comparison to Stewart, I'll make you a deal. If Russell earns the MOP in Nashville, I'll personally apologize for any and all Boneyarders who have failed to put her on the pedestal.
THe chances of Russel getting MOP in Nashville are zero to none so you are safe :) At this point she seems like a nice player but nothing more and for sure not a number 1 (in the mode of Stewie, or KML, or CO, or Griener, etc) caliber.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
THe chances of Russel getting MOP in Nashville are zero to none so you are safe :) At this point she seems like a nice player but nothing more and for sure not a number 1 (in the mode of Stewie, or KML, or CO, or Griener, etc) caliber.
Or Moore or Charles or EDD.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Harrison has 23, and Moore 13 blocks.
Moore? The player last off the bench?

Harrison averages one block a game.

Seriously, what is your point? Those aren't good numbers.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm a South Carolina fan and having seen every home game and a couple of road games up close, I'll tell you that Alaina Coates is even better than I expected as a freshman. Dawn is limiting her minutes so that she doesn't hit the freshman "wall". We only lose 1 senior this season, who only plays a few minutes a game, so hopefully w can meet you guys somewhere down the road in the Final Four.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a lot of LV games but the ones I have help explain Mercedes' disappointing results so far. It doesn't seem to me that the guards work very hard at getting the ball into the post; they'd much rather chuck up crazy shots 2 seconds into the shot clock. I think it's very hard for a post player to excel unless she has the ball in her hands and, feeling "left out" by her teammates, Mercedes lets it affect the rest of her game. She's a freshman and freshmen tend to let things affect them when an upperclassman might shrug it off. You're too hard on on an 18 year old kid that's apparently never been in a position to succeed. That's just MHO.

Also, it's not fair to compare Mercedes to Stewie while a comparison to Tina might be more apt. However, remember that Tina played with Renee and Mel in her freshman year. While Mercedes might eventually = Tina, Ariel Massengale and Meighan Simmons do not equal Renee and Mel .

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a lot of LV games but the ones I have help explain Mercedes' disappointing results so far. It doesn't seem to me that the guards work very hard at getting the ball into the post; they'd much rather chuck up crazy shots 2 seconds into the shot clock. I think it's very hard for a post player to excel unless she has the ball in her hands and, feeling "left out" by her teammates, Mercedes lets it affect the rest of her game. She's a freshman and freshmen tend to let things affect them when an upperclassman might shrug it off. You're too hard on on an 18 year old kid that's apparently never been in a position to succeed. That's just MHO.

Also, it's not fair to compare Mercedes to Stewie while a comparison to Tina might be more apt. However, remember that Tina played with Renee and Mel in her freshman year. While Mercedes might eventually = Tina, Ariel Massengale and Meighan Simmons do not equal Renee and Mel .
What about comparisons of Mercedes to Stef?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
did Stewart not struggle? were there not many threads and posts about it? my point is that some talented players need time to adjust. that is my point. nothing more or less. you can disagree if you want but that is a fact.

Did I say she did not?

No, that wasn't your point. Your goal was to compare Russell to Stewart. I understand why you want to make that comparison, and my point is that the comparison is not apt at this time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What about comparisons of Mercedes to Stef?
The same Stef that 1. came in ranked as the #39 high schooler with no expectations for her to be a dominant player and 2. had Maya Moore as her fellow post player? Not even close.

Reaction Score
All this talk about Mercedes.... I think a lot of the issue with her talent/progress has to do with great expectations of the LV fans..... who have embraced her as the "2nd coming"..... some wild stuff was being said about her on The Summit..... poor gal... that is a lot to live up to.....

LadyVols9 had said in another thread that 1. give her a bit of time..... and 2. trust in Dean's ability to develop...... and accept that ..... One fair criticism is that she has to run the floor better..... I have missed the last couple of LV games.... I hear she has done better in this department.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom