Temple Should Be At The Top of The List for Big 12 Expansion | The Boneyard

Temple Should Be At The Top of The List for Big 12 Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A "hey - why not us" article from a Temple Prof:

<<UConn is trying to use its Jedi mind tricks to try to position itself as part of the New York city market, which it isn’t. Storrs, Connecticut, UConn’s home, is around 135 miles from Manhattan, while Temple is around 95 miles from Manhattan. Many media outlets, including the New York Times, have referred to Philadelphia as the Sixth Borough of New York.<<

Reaction Score

<<UConn is trying to use its Jedi mind tricks to try to position itself as part of the New York city market, which it isn’t. Storrs, Connecticut, UConn’s home, is around 135 miles from Manhattan, while Temple is around 95 miles from Manhattan. Many media outlets, including the New York Times, have referred to Philadelphia as the Sixth Borough of New York.<<

BS nobody has ever referred to Philly as "The 6th borough."

The Philly tourism board has referred to Philly as, "A mini-New York."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

All garbage. But that said, I do think Temple's status in SNJ and eastern PA is on the upswing after bottoming out. I know I will get crucified, but Temple allows someone to plant a flag in Philly where no other major conference has a flag.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Larry Atkins teaches Journalism as an Adjunct Professor at Temple University.

Oh, an adjunct professor.

Larry Atkins = Joe from AOL?

Reaction Score
58937041.jpg

Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score

UConn is the 6th borough of New York City. Temple is the 6th borough of North Philadelphia.

Reaction Score
I'm not one who likes to claim UConn is NY's team or anything like that but its astonishing how people just don't get that, as a state flagship, the entire state of CT is UConn's market and that includes Fairfield County, which is part of the NYC DMA. What is so hard to understand about this?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I've never once heard of Philly being referred to as the 6th Borough. That's an absolute joke.

Reaction Score
I have nothing against Temple, but they do not have a market presence in Philly. They just don't. The fact that they can draw big crowds to play ND and Penn State in football in Philly has no more to do with Temple's market power than playing Notre Dame and Penn State in Yankee Stadium to full crowds would have to do with Fordham's market power. In each case, it's just a question of who is the Washington Generals.

And I say that without in any way knocking Temple's basketball tradition or recent football improvement. If Temple were to join the XII with us instead of Cincy because that's what the TV consultants say, great. One drivable conference opponent. But I don't see it. As for the 6th Borough, Philly would be an exurb of NYC if it didn't have its own metropolitan identity. Fairfield County is a suburb of NYC. The end.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have nothing against Temple, but they do not have a market presence in Philly. They just don't. The fact that they can draw big crowds to play ND and Penn State in football in Philly has no more to do with Temple's market power than playing Notre Dame and Penn State in Yankee Stadium to full crowds would have to do with Fordham's market power. In each case, it's just a question of who is the Washington Generals.

And I say that without in any way knocking Temple's basketball tradition or recent football improvement. If Temple were to join the XII with us instead of Cincy because that's what the TV consultants say, great. One drivable conference opponent. But I don't see it. As for the 6th Borough, Philly would be an exurb of NYC if it didn't have its own metropolitan identity. Fairfield County is a suburb of NYC. The end.

Yes, but there is a vacuum opportunity in this market. Rutty seems unlikely to ever dominate Philly, neither will Pitt. Penn State is of course dominate, but it also plays 5 hrs west.

As of today, the ACC has a long campus gap from Richmond VA to Chestnut Hill. That's a lot of large populations in between without ACC action. Not one coastal City for ACC alumni to gather in for after work basketball, events, etc.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Yes, but there is a vacuum opportunity in this market. Rutty seems unlikely to ever dominate Philly, neither will Pitt. Penn State is of course dominate, but it also plays 5 hrs west.

As of today, the ACC has a long campus gap from Richmond VA to Chestnut Hill. That's a lot of large populations in between without ACC action. Not one coastal City for ACC alumni to gather in for after work basketball, events, etc.
Yup. I still think it would be a natural fit for the ACC to take us and Temple.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Lived in Philly for 4 years. Still have friends and family there. Never heard this once. Philly is a top 10 market, why would it attempt to attach itself to NYC? That makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Lived in Philly for 4 years. Still have friends and family there. Never heard this once.

I've been there every week for the past few years... I asked two South Philly old timers today. One has heard it but laughed @ it as "yuppie talk"and the other never heard it.

Reaction Score
I have had family living in southeastern Pennsylvania for over 30 years now, so I get down there often enough, and see enough Philadelphia news in the process. I too have never heard any of this Philly 6th borough talk.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not one who likes to claim UConn is NY's team or anything like that but its astonishing how people just don't get that, as a state flagship, the entire state of CT is UConn's market and that includes Fairfield County, which is part of the NYC DMA. What is so hard to understand about this?
I think because it's kind of a unique dynamic. No other state has one MAJOR university that the entire state pulls for and treats like the only show in town. Almost every other P5 program has another P5 school or even G5 school competing with it for an audience. No other school can really call the entire state their market like UConn can. Part of that is due to the small size of Connecticut, but a lot of it is the mentality of those born and raised here.

Coming to UConn, from living my whole life in NJ, it was a big change of culture in terms of everyone growing up wanting to go to UConn because they rooted for them. Rutgers never pulled the entire state even though they were the only college show in town. No one even had interest in GOING to Rutgers. Even now they don't pull as well. Penn State and ND were huge draws and still are.

People who don't live in CT and are just looking for where Storrs is on a map and just makes the assumption that we are all crazy because the main campus is so far from NYC. Unless folks live here or know the area well, they will always claim that UConn doesn't pull the NYC market like we know it does. They'll ignore the fact that SNY was nowhere to be found in CT until they signed their deal with UConn. They'll ignore the fact that UConn basketball takes over the Garden when we play there. All those things don't get looked at when you simply look at a map and allow geography to dictate your thoughtless commentary like these journalists are doing. It's why Jacobs and others need to keep publishing those articles and why Dooley and others need to keep fighting the good fight through social media.

In the end, any research firm worth anything should be able to easily see that UConn pulls all of CT, including Fairfield county.

Reaction Score
I think because it's kind of a unique dynamic. No other state has one MAJOR university that the entire state pulls for and treats like the only show in town. Almost every other P5 program has another P5 school or even G5 school competing with it for an audience. No other school can really call the entire state their market like UConn can. Part of that is due to the small size of Connecticut, but a lot of it is the mentality of those born and raised here.

Coming to UConn, from living my whole life in NJ, it was a big change of culture in terms of everyone growing up wanting to go to UConn because they rooted for them. Rutgers never pulled the entire state even though they were the only college show in town. No one even had interest in GOING to Rutgers. Even now they don't pull as well. Penn State and ND were huge draws and still are.

People who don't live in CT and are just looking for where Storrs is on a map and just makes the assumption that we are all crazy because the main campus is so far from NYC. Unless folks live here or know the area well, they will always claim that UConn doesn't pull the NYC market like we know it does. They'll ignore the fact that SNY was nowhere to be found in CT until they signed their deal with UConn. They'll ignore the fact that UConn basketball takes over the Garden when we play there. All those things don't get looked at when you simply look at a map and allow geography to dictate your thoughtless commentary like these journalists are doing. It's why Jacobs and others need to keep publishing those articles and why Dooley and others need to keep fighting the good fight through social media.

In the end, any research firm worth anything should be able to easily see that UConn pulls all of CT, including Fairfield county.
This always kills me. Yes the entire fanbase exists solely in Storrs. Nevermind the nearly 1 million people living in Fairfield County where there is growing Stamford branch 40 miles from the city and 10s of thousands of alumni.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

This particular Temple professor needs to lay off the bong hits while he's writing stuff. There are good reasons why Temple is not a player in CR. It's just another mediocre academic commuter school. It isn't even No.1 in it's own local media market, playing second fiddle to Penn State. Get real, professor.

Reaction Score
This always kills me. Yes the entire fanbase exists solely in Storrs. Nevermind the nearly 1 million people living in Fairfield County where there is growing Stamford branch 40 miles from the city and 10s of thousands of alumni.
For any one who doubts Fairfield County inclusion as part of NY City, just ask them to visit the Craigslist NY City market area. Upper right = FCT. A neutral, third party like Craigslist knows the truth. They should too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the world was wiped out by an asteroid and the only things remaining on earth were John Swofford, Bob Bowlsby and Temple University, Temple still would not get into the ACC or the Big 12.

This is their high water mark.

Reaction Score
Lived in Philly for 4 years. Still have friends and family there. Never heard this once. Philly is a top 10 market, why would it attempt to attach itself to NYC? That makes no sense.

Philly folks would * razorblades before they would refer to themselves as being the 6th Boro. The dude who wrote this was either smoking PCP when he wrote this, or had just arrived on Earth from another planet.

Reaction Score
Clearly UConn adds nothing but the Storrs/Mansfield DMA. 40 people, 15 of whom have cable TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom