Temple Owls | The Boneyard

Temple Owls

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Offense:

Temple played really well offensively last year, but only returns 4 starters. Temple's offense has improved each of the last 3 years, and with the pick up of recruiting under Golden and continued under Addazio, Temple is replacing graduating players with more talented, albeit inexperienced players.

The running game was great last year, and Matt Brown was also a big part of its success. QB Coyer was OK against Ohio and Wyoming, but is not the kind of guy you build an offense around. Temple loses its top 3 receivers. While the offensive line technically returns 1 starter, most of the 2 deep saw significant playing time last year. I find that defensive speed is the hardest thing for offensive lines to adjust to when a school upgrades its conference, so I expect the "sacks against" number of 21 to increase over 30.

With the step up in competition and departure of Pierce, I expect a significant drop from the offense, but it won't be terrible.

Defense:

Addazio plays a lot of kids on defense, especially on the line. While Temple loses its best linemen in DT Pat Boyle, everyone returning has significant playing experience on a defense that was pretty good last year. This line held opponents to 3.6 ypc and got 33 sacks against MAC competition, but was also stout against Penn State and Maryland, holding both schools under 3.0 ypc and sacking MD's QB 3 times.

They lose their best linebacker in Whitehead (a 5th round draft choice). Like with the line, the returning players that didn't start saw a lot of playing time for the most part. The entire secondary saw a lot of playing time last year, and they basically return 3 starters from a decent pass defense.

The defense was really good last year, and I am a bit surprised that they had some meltdowns such as the Toledo and Ohio games. It is something to watch this year, because when there is periodic breakdowns by good defenses it means there is a schematic problems, which goes to the coaches.

Schedule:

It is ridiculous that Temple could not get a 12th game with all the schools that either play 2 FCS opponents or play an FCS school that doesn't qualify for bowl eligibility. Temple looked good against Maryland and Penn State last year. Penn State won on a huge drive near the end of the game with a couple of fourth down conversion. Temple can play with the big boys, and I don't subscribe to the "week in, week out" theory that teams will wear down. Other upgrades haven't seemed to miss a beat. Utah didn't dominate the Pac 12, but played very well in what would have been a rebuilding year regardless.

4 Big East home games, and Maryland at home, make this a manageable schedule.

Conclusion:

Temple is making a big upgrade in competition and is returning 10 starters by my count, although that number is a bit squishy with all the players Addazio uses. It seems like Temple is still learning to win, with closes losses to some of the better teams on its schedule last year. I don't think they will suck, and they get Syracuse at home, but they are not Big East caliber yet.

A winning record is a possibility, but they likely come up short to Penn State and don't find a second win in the Big East.

Prediction:

4-7 (1-6)

Reaction Score
I pretty much agree with this. I think they might get a second win in-conference, though. They give us fits and I'm not overwhelmed with Pitt.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Did you forget about Montel Harris? Different running styles, but then again, so were DB and Todman. I basically consider this a wash, and think you're discounting them.

pj

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Syracuse is on their schedule now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I did forget about Harris. A running back that has smoked his knee twice is not a lock for the starting job, especially when the incumbent is strong, but Addazio gave Harris a scholarship so they must think he has a shot of contributing. I think Brown wins the job in the end.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised everyone seems to have Temple pegged as #8 in the Big East. they had a pretty good team last season and i think they'll have a pretty good team this season. it's always hard to predict records, as USF's 1-6 BE showed last year, but i think they'll be decent on the field

Reaction Score
I'm surprised everyone seems to have Temple pegged as #8 in the Big East. they had a pretty good team last season and i think they'll have a pretty good team this season. it's always hard to predict records, as USF's 1-6 BE showed last year, but i think they'll be decent on the field

Football, to me, is all about the line of scrimmage.

Temple is going to see a level of size, strength, speed and competition at scrimmage, week in and week out this year, especially as the season gets into conference play into November, and players are nicked up.....that they are not used to seeing. Big East conference offensive and defensive fronts, are no joke. Big EAst offenses in general? Different story, but offensive lines, and the defensive fronts in this league are no joke.

Addazio, I think is a better head coach, than co-ordinator, so they will be prepared, and will do better than most give them credit for, but this year is goign to be an adjustment year for them on the lines, and when you have trouble on the lines into conference play, you have trouble in general in games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good teams are good teams. I think Temple was a pretty good MAC team last year. They are stepping up 2 levels of competition, but they have talent and depth. Temple's bigger problem is its small number of returning starters.

They could finish above Pitt. I think a finish above 6 is unlikely.

Reaction Score
It's very easy to imagine that. Would have been nice to add a school that actually has fans.

Reaction Score
But, but....television revenue!

ECU is probably next in line to join the BE anyway. If Louisville, UConn and Rutgers go, I think it's possible ECU will be in.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Temple has potentially 6 freshman in this year's class having to sit out in prep school because they cant get approval of the clearinghouse. I wonder if the BE has held the line on partial qualifiers, etc?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm just going to put this here:

YRUC0.gif

Reaction Score
Cosby spoke at my commencement ceremony. He shook only the hands of African-Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom