Temple coming | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So I maintain. Basketball has not suffered and may actually have improved. Football has not suffered and would get worse in the ACC. We end up like BC. Not for me.

We lost Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia and replaced them with UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis and probably Temple and we improved?

Reaction Score
Honestly I am not. ACC is a downer and will continue to spiral down. I think that we have a chance to take a big leap with the new conference.

So I maintain. Basketball has not suffered and may actually have improved. Football has not suffered and would get worse in the ACC. We end up like BC. Not for me.

No, we and the BE are in a tough spot, but it is what it is.

We are not BC and would not suffer the same plight as BC in the ACC. Completely different institutions and leadership.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The ACC's future is a lot brighter than the Big East's. What part of that is difficult to understand?

If your comment wasn't directed to me, I will apologize in advance. If it was directed at me, take a look at the message I was responding to. I was responding to the question of which is more stable, ACC vs Big12, NOT the ACC vs Big East. Let's hope you were commenting on someone else's post...

Reaction Score
We lost Pitt, Syracuse, and West Virginia and replaced them with UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis and probably Temple and we improved?

Do you believe losing storied programs like SU and Pitt are a loss for other than historical reasons? Losing WVU hurts, but there is a reason you deftly chose to ignore Boise, so we'll consider that a push. Line up Pitt or SU against any of those programs, and I like the new conference mates chances. Do I wish we could go back in time and keep the good old boys together, sure; but I choose to not drive down the highway staring at my rearview mirror. We need to look forward. We need to make the best of this. We need to stop fighting reality and just accept it.

Reaction Score
Do you believe losing storied programs like SU and Pitt are a loss for other than historical reasons? Losing WVU hurts, but there is a reason you deftly chose to ignore Boise, so we'll consider that a push. Line up Pitt or SU against any of those programs, and I like the new conference mates chances. Do I wish we could go back in time and keep the good old boys together, sure; but I choose to not drive down the highway staring at my rearview mirror. We need to look forward. We need to make the best of this. We need to stop fighting reality and just accept it.
Actually if you line up Syracuse vs memphis you have a line withing a touchdown.

Reaction Score
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you deal with it. While I think Jimmy was being sarcastic I for one could care less if CCSU joins the Big East.

All our guys can do is line up and play. Just win baby.

When Temple, Boise, SMU, SDSU, Houston and Navy comes to town I will be excited, hoarse from yelling and hopefully celebrating a win.

You see.....I can't do a damn thing about who we play. Why would I moan about it and ruin the greatest time I've ever had....every UConn football game I've ever attended.

Except the 2009 loss in the last seconds to RU when we were remembering Jazz. Still hurts.

Source: Temple will join Big East for 2012 football season

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/03/07/big-east-temple.ap/index.html#ixzz1oSFcttxt

+1 to sportsart. However, my most painful memory of a UConn loss occured the week after Jazz was killed. With a win for Jazz so close in hand, it was just heart wrenching to be in Morgantown and watch WVU's Noel Devine run 56 yards for a touchdown in the closing minutes to the end of the game. The fans were sympathetic to UConn, but the feelings of loss after everything the team had been through were overwhelming.

Reaction Score
I think Boise State was ignored for travel reasons.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

I was responding to his quote about the basketball league, not the football league

Reaction Score
Now how long will it take to make the schedule?? Hopefully it will be released by the time spring ball is over!

Reaction Score
If your comment wasn't directed to me, I will apologize in advance. If it was directed at me, take a look at the message I was responding to. I was responding to the question of which is more stable, ACC vs Big12, NOT the ACC vs Big East. Let's hope you were commenting on someone else's post...

OR . . . . ?????? For the record though, it was not directed at you. No apology necessary. We are all free here to dissent in our opinions if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction Score
Hearing the Big East is spending 7 mil to bring Temple back after 8 years. awesome. Strategy.

Reaction Score
Hearing the Big East is spending 7 mil to bring Temple back after 8 years. awesome. Strategy.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ootball-play-big-east-2012-season-source-says

"Temple will pay the MAC a $6 million exit fee, a source told Schad, but the school believes it will quickly recoup that money with increased revenue from Big East affiliation."

This article makes it seem like the BE is not giving temple anything to join the BE. Just more money than they would make in the MAC.

Reaction Score
Source: Temple will join Big East for 2012 football season

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/03/07/big-east-temple.ap/index.html#ixzz1oSFcttxt

+1 to sportsart. However, my most painful memory of a UConn loss occured the week after Jazz was killed. With a win for Jazz so close in hand, it was just heart wrenching to be in Morgantown and watch WVU's Noel Devine run 56 yards for a touchdown in the closing minutes to the end of the game. The fans were sympathetic to UConn, but the feelings of loss after everything the team had been through were overwhelming.

It's funny that you're disagreeing. As someone who was at both those games, the point was that they were back to back -- the team had to not get it done for Jazz at the end in M'Town, and then come back to the Rent and not get it done again. Those two were followed by the 2 point loss at Cincy, and then, after a week off, finally, a month after the tragedy, the win at ND that let everyone feel like they had won for their brother.

Reaction Score
That's good to hear. If we really paid 7 mil to buy back a school we gave the boot then that would have been abysmally pathetic.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...ootball-play-big-east-2012-season-source-says

"Temple will pay the MAC a $6 million exit fee, a source told Schad, but the school believes it will quickly recoup that money with increased revenue from Big East affiliation."

This article makes it seem like the BE is not giving temple anything to join the BE. Just more money than they would make in the MAC.

Reaction Score
It's funny that you're disagreeing. As someone who was at both those games, the point was that they were back to back -- the team had to not get it done for Jazz at the end in M'Town, and then come back to the Rent and not get it done again. Those two were followed by the 2 point loss at Cincy, and then, after a week off, finally, a month after the tragedy, the win at ND that let everyone feel like they had won for their brother.
I think most people would understand that I agreed with what sportsarts had to say about not really giving a damn who we play as long as UConn wins, and separate that from my comment on what I thought was a more painful memory of losing. Just so you're clear, the point I was trying to make was that IMO, the loss to WVU left more of an impression on me than the losses that followed. And I was at all those games you mentioned too. Next.

Reaction Score
No, what's abysmally pathetic is reconfiguring the league by replacing the three members that left, and then booting out Temple football to remain at 8 teams for football, and adding DePaul And Marquette basketball 8 years ago.

Let's keep to what's real here. The big east is what it is, we need to go out on the playing fields and line up and kick ass no matter who we're playing. That's all.

I'm very happy to gain back at least one natural rival in this ship called the Big East that needs to get righted and frigging squared away and moving in the right direction.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Actually, they just did line up SMU vs. Pitt, and SMU flattened Pitt. Pitt and Syracuse will leave for the ACC having finished 7th and 8th in the Big East football conference. Pitt is now struggling in hoops, and Boeheim may not survive his dual scandals.

Karma mofo.

Reaction Score
The ACC's future is a lot brighter than the Big East's. What part of that is difficult to understand?
All of it. We pick up Memphis, Temple, Navy and Boise St. I am happy with that. Can't see why anybody is so enamored with the ACC.

BC is the example of what happens when you join the ACC.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Edsall would be freaking out with this news if he was still UConn's coach.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
OR . . . . ?????? For the record though, it was not directed at you. No apology necessary. We are all free here to dissent in our opinions if I'm not mistaken.

Okay, good. And as for being "free here to dissent in our opinions", it was hard to make that out when you posted "What part of that is difficult to understand?" It was almost as if you felt someone wasn't "free here to dissent in our opinions".....OR......???? ;)

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said: "Edsall would be freaking out with this news if he was still UConn's coach."​
BNich said: "And he isn't the head coach. So get over it."

Thanks BNich you beat me to it. Now, look guys, going to the ACC is a mistake. Look what happened to BC. No natural rivals. their closest conference opponent is like 7 hours away driving wise. You don't gain anything basketball wise, actually you lose because instead of a 2 1/2 hr drive to NYC for the conference tourney you'll be traveling halfway down the Eastern seaboard. Don't think for a minute that fans of UNC, NC St, Wake and the ones even farther south are gonna want to go through the madness that is NYC more than once to see their tourney. Football wise the conference will be much stronger than the ACC once the dust settles. Coach P has the program moving in the right direction so lets just suit up, strap up, find your seat before the game starts and enjoy yourself no matter who's lined up on the other side of the ball. Screw the ACC. Why trade one basketball conference for another when the football will be better here? The TV money is going to be there. Lets just get UConn football ranked every year and everything else will take care of itself. Within a decade Syracuse will be begging to come back, mark my words.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Just to play devils advocate...

UConn to the ACC reunites UConn to BC, Cuse, and Pitt as regional rivals....
The Nets are building a state of the art arena in Brooklyn...
Now maybe the ACC keeps the status quo with their bball tournament in NC, but it would be pretty bold to have their future hoops tournaments at the new arena in Brooklyn and take things to the Big East's backyard.

Otherwise, agree with all the "just win" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom