Team chemistry....as always this will be Geno's biggest challenge | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Team chemistry....as always this will be Geno's biggest challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With 3 first team AAs in Stewie Mojeff and Tuck UConn doesn't need much more to win. Is there really any threat for UConn this season? Baylor, South Carolina, ND. They are no threat. With that put aside does it really matter who shares time as the 5th player. Natalie, Lou and Collier. Williams and Chong will come off the bench. Everybody will get a lot of playtime as almost every game will be over before it starts. Barring injuries for those who need me to mention injuries I prefer not to no team will come within double digits of UConn this season. UConn has the top 3 players in WCBB this season and that's why. They have a games where you can meet the players. We need a game to Meet the Boneyarders. Perhaps Harbor Yard this season as well as Hartford. We need to come up with a date before the winter arrives perhaps in November or early December. Lets see if we can do that. Kibitzer you will have to make it and those of you who live afar this means you too. It would be a terrific afternoon.

Reaction Score
It will matter for next year because Breanna and Moriah are leaving. Morgan could possibly leave. Also, you have three new players coming in: Crystal Dangerfield, Kyla Irwin and Molly Bent. There could be one more. If Saniya and Courtney get buried at the end of the bench, will they return? Remember, Brianna Banks left to play this year, her senior year, at Penn St.

Reaction Score
With 3 first team AAs in Stewie Mojeff and Tuck UConn doesn't need much more to win. Is there really any threat for UConn this season? Baylor, South Carolina, ND. They are no threat. With that put aside does it really matter who shares time as the 5th player. Natalie, Lou and Collier. Williams and Chong will come off the bench. Everybody will get a lot of playtime as almost every game will be over before it starts. Barring injuries for those who need me to mention injuries I prefer not to no team will come within double digits of UConn this season. UConn has the top 3 players in WCBB this season and that's why. They have a games where you can meet the players. We need a game to Meet the Boneyarders. Perhaps Harbor Yard this season as well as Hartford. We need to come up with a date before the winter arrives perhaps in November or early December. Lets see if we can do that. Kibitzer you will have to make it and those of you who live afar this means you too. It would be a terrific afternoon.

Tonyc - good stuff. From what I know Geno likes a short bench. He also knows his team can lose like anyone else. Geno is anxious about losing even when his team has won 60-70-80 in a row. Geno is steadfast in developing his starting team until it is a well-oiled machine. Last year showed that when the starters were still in when ahead by 35 or more. Finally, as a coach, I believed in developing next year's team along the way in the current year. That's me and that's you Tonyc (and others.) That is not Geno. I have never seen UConn putting NEXT YEARs starters on the floor together to "get them ready." Geno takes care of TODAY. And as we all know, Geno wants perfection and it is rarely there--so the starters stay on the floor until Geno is satisfied. Another key point; Gabby rarely, if ever, got on the floor in crunch time last year. Same with Chong. Only Stokes got time off the bench--in crunch time. Geno is all about today. Who knows what tomorrow brings because tomorrow never comes. It is always today!! And today the focus is on the best starting 5 Geno can put on the floor.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Geno coaches from November to end of February to have his team at its best in March and April.

It seems to work.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno is steadfast in developing his starting team until it is a well-oiled machine. Last year showed that when the starters were still in when ahead by 35 or more.
Yea, well most coaches use the starting lineup to start the 2nd half. ;)

Reaction Score
Yea, well most coaches use the starting lineup to start the 2nd half. ;)

The main question addressed was--did Geno think about next year and put in players to get ready for next year! I think not. In addition, if Geno was ahead by 40 and used the starting line-up to start the second half--he would keep them in longer than some coaches or posters would think necessary--if Geno was not satisfied with the flow. Time or score (or getting players ready for next year) were not the determining factors--smooth teamwork and flow (at a NC level) was always the goal. Next year? What if Lou and Collier were not the key people next year? What if Danger and Cox played big time and they were the two new starters? We only have control of the present moment (somewhat.)

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Hey Gabbyfan! Welcome!

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention recruitment. Geno gets a certain type of player to come here. If you have a big head or a big attitude (& are NOT named Taurasi), you're not coming in the door. I've also heard a rumor or two that if the player has helicopter, or worse, snow plow parents, that player will be playing elsewhere.

Team chemistry is emphasized early & often. The players are sent on scavenger hunts & play "games" that enable them to learn to lean on each other. The incoming frosh are in class together. Bonding is a BIG part of why UCONN is such a successful program. Our players genuinely care about each other. That's obvious in how they interact on & off the court. Once they graduate, the are ambassadors for UCONN & are always part of the family.

Reaction Score
First, Lauren has not committed to UConn. Crystal might start, but most freshman don't. I didn't say all, I said most. That would mean Kia would stay at the number two position, although we know with Geno that doesn't mean much. Having a year's experience will give the freshman a head start over the incoming freshman, as Natalie has this year. I know she didn't play, but we're talking about the freshman of the year in the Big East, not a raw high school kid. While it is always about this year with Geno, most of UConn's fans will be completely surprised if Napheesa and Katie Lou do not become two of the best ever with their numbers up on the wall.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Tonyc - good stuff. From what I know Geno likes a short bench. He also knows his team can lose like anyone else. Geno is anxious about losing even when his team has won 60-70-80 in a row. Geno is steadfast in developing his starting team until it is a well-oiled machine. Last year showed that when the starters were still in when ahead by 35 or more. Finally, as a coach, I believed in developing next year's team along the way in the current year. That's me and that's you Tonyc (and others.) That is not Geno. I have never seen UConn putting NEXT YEARs starters on the floor together to "get them ready." Geno takes care of TODAY. And as we all know, Geno wants perfection and it is rarely there--so the starters stay on the floor until Geno is satisfied. Another key point; Gabby rarely, if ever, got on the floor in crunch time last year. Same with Chong. Only Stokes got time off the bench--in crunch time. Geno is all about today. Who knows what tomorrow brings because tomorrow never comes. It is always today!! And today the focus is on the best starting 5 Geno can put on the floor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You are 100% correct. Great minds think alike. I said the same exact thing in a prior blog during the NCAA Tournament. Geno starts coaching for those last six games on the first day of official team practice. I responded to a blogger that said Geno was going to start practicing for the next team up.

I replied that Geno started planning and scheming for that team in October. I reminded him that Geno plays everyone the same. He'd rather have other teams adjust to UConn, rather than try and plan and adjust for them. Sometimes simple plans are the best plans. His plan seems to be working pretty good.

We have a fast food restaurant (In N Out) locally that is the most popular burger and fries joint in town. They are the "Southwest Airlines" of burger joints(no frills). It's family owned (no franchises). They have restaurants in 3 states. They have a simple menu. They have not changed their menu in 60 years. Just great food at a fair price. Sometimes simple is good!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I think we see the greatest confirmation of this analysis in the NCAA Texas game, when Geno was interviewed in the second half with about 9 minutes to play. Up 40 plus at the time he was asked a question about what do you look for for the rest of this game, or something similar. He said, in a few more words than this, I'm looking for more of this and I'll do nothing to upset that momentum. Shortly after many of the starters left but the lead expanded. 51 points, the largest sweet 16 win ever. Repeat after me: In Geno I trust.

I have this game still on DVR. It starts with the co-anchors of the prior ESPN segment still on air with the man saying: They win by a million points...you'll see. The tenacity and speed of the UConn defense, for those who have not experienced it, is (to say the least) unsettling. My favorite play of that game was Kiah defending their 6'7" center into an up and down walk!

Reaction Score
Agree with you on everything PC!Geno always says they earn it in practice and he has said that his whole tenure in Storrs.If the freshmen come in and perform as advertised they will be deeper at crunch time!They need to earn his trust!Tournament time he always uses 6 to 8 players in the tough games.

Reaction Score
Tony's repetitive post reminds me of the fellow who went to the opera (first time) with a pal who was an aficionado. Midway through Act I, the tenor sang a big aria that was coldly received (a few hisses, tepid applause). Our novice's friend shouted "ENCORE! ENCORE!," whereupon the tenor sang the aria again. Really badly.

The audience showed their displeasure by jeering, hissing and booing loudly. Once again, the same fellow stood and shouted, "ENCORE! ENCORE!" Our newcomer was puzzled and asked his knowledgeable friend why he was so insistent on demanding repeat performances by this hapless tenor. The reply: "I'm gonna make him keep singing it until he gets it right!" :mad:
Your post reminds me of a story of two novice fans who go to see their first baseball game. It's a thriller. Home team wins 1-0. Visiting pitcher tosses a one-hitter while the home-town hero records a perfect game. As they are leaving, fan #1 says, "Well, that sure was boring." "Sure was," says #2, "if it wasn't for that one hit, we wouldn't a seen nuthin."

While my post (as is often the case) has little (i.e., nothing) to do with the topic at hand, it serves as a reminder to UConn's often under appreciated strength: defense. Case in point: Championship Game 2010. Huskies score 8 points in the first half. Eight freaking points!!! What made championship #7 even a possibility going into the second half? The defense that held Stanford to just 20 points.

Okay, free association time over. Carry on.

Reaction Score
Your post reminds me of a story of two novice fans who go to see their first baseball game. It's a thriller. Home team wins 1-0. Visiting pitcher tosses a one-hitter while the home-town hero records a perfect game. As they are leaving, fan #1 says, "Well, that sure was boring." "Sure was," says #2, "if it wasn't for that one hit, we wouldn't a seen nuthin."

While my post (as is often the case) has little (i.e., nothing) to do with the topic at hand, it serves as a reminder to UConn's often under appreciated strength: defense. Case in point: Championship Game 2010. Huskies score 8 points in the first half. Eight freaking points!!! What made championship #7 even a possibility going into the second half? The defense that held Stanford to just 20 points.

Okay, free association time over. Carry on.

Twelve freaking points!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
KLS will not break KML 3 pt record... she will not have as many attempts due to being taller and in the post most of the time. BTW How far is Stewie away from it?

Reaction Score
KLS will not break KML 3 pt record... she will not have as many attempts due to being taller and in the post most of the time. BTW How far is Stewie away from it?

DaddyChoc - I like your thought process for most of your posts. I agree with you on this post, however, IMHO Lou won't get the record for a different reason - because her % made will be less. This year Lou won't get inside much at all and next year Tuck and Butler will be down low (maybe with Gabby or the other big frosh.)

Reaction Score
DaddyChoc - I like your thought process for most of your posts. I agree with you on this post, however, IMHO Lou won't get the record for a different reason - because her % made will be less. This year Lou won't get inside much at all and next year Tuck and Butler will be down low (maybe with Gabby or the other big frosh.)
It will be fun to watch the next 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom