TE/LB Scooter Harrington (Greenwich High) | The Boneyard

TE/LB Scooter Harrington (Greenwich High)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SWiltfong2474:02pm via web
Greenwich (Conn.) High 2016 TE Scooter Harrington visited #UConn yesterday, #BostonCollege today: bostoncollege. /Board/59454/Of…@CMAnderson247

6-4 225lb TE. Hold BC offer so far (Dad played DE for BC).
Medic, what actual shot does UConn have with this player? Seems like a Thunderchicken legacy, & UConn hasn't had much success recruiting Greenwich kids. I'd like to know if he intends to pursue a major that UConn offers & BC doesn't. What is his disposition toward UConn?

Reaction Score
Medic, what actual shot does UConn have with this player? Seems like a Thunderchicken legacy, & UConn hasn't had much success recruiting Greenwich kids. I'd like to know if he intends to pursue a major that UConn offers & BC doesn't. What is his disposition toward UConn?

I hear ya Coach and I have no info on the kid other than his name popped across my Twitter feed... but for some reason (even if it was just to compare facilities/campuses) - he made the drive up to UConn which is a start.

Reaction Score

Good question. His brother, a Sr this year and a really good FB player as well, committed to Duke lacrosse as a sophomore. So, who knows.

Strange thing is that Greenwich has a kid none of you will ever hear of; Austin Longi. He started from game-one at CB as a sophomore which is very rare. Greenwich's typical 60-man roster includes one or two sophs that seldom play. This year's had seven which is the most I've seen. Last season, as a Jr, Longi had almost 3000 yards (1600 rushing/11 carries per, 350 rcv/2 rcpts per, 900 in returns). Coach Al didn't really use him on offense until the fifth game. He's had returns of 99, 90, 80, 75(2), 65, 42 plus runs from scrimmage 80, 63, 60, 55 and more. Passing? 2 for 3, 90 yards and a TD. He's the two-time defending FCIAC indoor sprint champ, this year's LL co-champ and came in third in the State Open. He made all-conference, all Big 33 and NH Register all-state.

Problem? He's 5'7" and 151 pounds. He's got next year. Maybe a few inches, 20-pouinds. Who knows?

Reaction Score
His brother s going to dook, both of his parents are BC grads. Long shot at best if you ask me.

Reaction Score
Good question. His brother, a Sr this year and a really good FB player as well, committed to Duke lacrosse as a sophomore. So, who knows.

Strange thing is that Greenwich has a kid none of you will ever hear of; Austin Longi. He started from game-one at CB as a sophomore which is very rare. Greenwich's typical 60-man roster includes one or two sophs that seldom play. This year's had seven which is the most I've seen. Last season, as a Jr, Longi had almost 3000 yards (1600 rushing/11 carries per, 350 rcv/2 rcpts per, 900 in returns). Coach Al didn't really use him on offense until the fifth game. He's had returns of 99, 90, 80, 75(2), 65, 42 plus runs from scrimmage 80, 63, 60, 55 and more. Passing? 2 for 3, 90 yards and a TD. He's the two-time defending FCIAC indoor sprint champ, this year's LL co-champ and came in third in the State Open. He made all-conference, all Big 33 and NH Register all-state.

Problem? He's 5'7" and 151 pounds. He's got next year. Maybe a few inches, 20-pouinds. Who knows?

And Matt Balis? If he doesn't have a scholarship elsewhere how about a preferred walk on spot? Dare I say the name, I hate the Patriots, but Danny Woodhead anyone??

Reaction Score

Longi is probably the most dynamic player in the state this season. He's small but could make an impact as a KR immediately. He has plus speed and is elusive. He was one of the best players I saw last season.

Reaction Score
Longi is probably the most dynamic player in the state this season. He's small but could make an impact as a KR immediately. He has plus speed and is elusive. He was one of the best players I saw last season.

I realize that that coach likes his players "long," and it would be hard to argue with his recently revealed philosophy on recruiting. However, our recent positive history with diminutive KR's and not so positive really recent history with "normal" sized KR's, might get the kid, or others like him, a look. The fact that he's part of a program that has produced seven NFL players in the last 34-years might get him a look, as well.

It's too bad he's so damn small.

A question for those that understand foot speed development. Last (Soph) year, Longi's best 100 meter time was reported as 10.8. This past season, his best was 11.2 with 11.4 in both the "LL" and State Open. Could the disparity be caused by an attempt to gain weight? And, if that's the case, is there a chance he might return to the faster times? Again, I don't know if he gained weight, or if four-tenths is that big a deal. With Track, I have no clue. (By the way, I think his indoor times were a little slower, as well.)

Reaction Score
I realize that that coach likes his players "long," and it would be hard to argue with his recently revealed philosophy on recruiting. However, our recent positive history with diminutive KR's and not so positive really recent history with "normal" sized KR's, might get the kid, or others like him, a look. The fact that he's part of a program that has produced seven NFL players in the last 34-years might get him a look, as well.

It's too bad he's so damn small.

A question for those that understand foot speed development. Last (Soph) year, Longi's best 100 meter time was reported as 10.8. This past season, his best was 11.2 with 11.4 in both the "LL" and State Open. Could the disparity be caused by an attempt to gain weight? And, if that's the case, is there a chance he might return to the faster times? Again, I don't know if he gained weight, or if four-tenths is that big a deal. With Track, I have no clue. (By the way, I think his indoor times were a little slower, as well.)

It's really hard to figure when you're looking at PR's from year to year in track. Injuries, conditions, peaking or getting that great start can all make a difference. I'll bet he could give you every detail though. Any focus other than year round track can potentially have a negative impact and it looks like he was focused on FB last summer and fall.

Reaction Score
SWiltfong2474:02pm via web
Greenwich (Conn.) High 2016 TE Scooter Harrington visited #UConn yesterday, #BostonCollege today: bostoncollege. /Board/59454/Of…@CMAnderson247

6-4 225lb TE/LB. Hold BC offer so far (Dad played DE for BC).

edit add video: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2759994/scooter-harrington

Just below Harrington's video, I noticed there was a video on Taylor Olmstead. Taylor was an all-state Safety for Greenwich. According to Coach Al, his recruitment would have been heavier if he hadn't made it clear that he wanted to play baseball. Only the Ivies (4.0 GPA) offered both sports. He was drafted (12th round) by the Rangers. He ended up choosing to play for Coach Penders, at UCONN.

As his video shows, he was an incredible HS player. According to MSG, after their scrimmage, the coach at Don Bosco was very impressed with the kid, as in, "who's that # 40? He can play anywhere." The video speaks for itself.

So, what might have changed? Taylor was a red shirt this past year. As far as I can tell, he didn't play an inning. In any event, the video is worth a look if, for no other reason, he's already on campus. I'd forgotten how good he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom