Taking a knee.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Taking a knee....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Where on this planet did you get your facts for this post? Whitney Houston, 1991 Super Bowl, National Anthem. There are many more prior to 2009. Please get some facts right or everything else looks suspicious.
That is an isolated incident. It was NEVER a regular occurrence in every game before 2009. Get YOUR facts straight.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I have very strong on this one. IMO we OWE it to all those who served to respect the American Flag. Disrespecting the flag that so many fought for and some gave their lives for should not be tolerated. Burning the flag is another problem I have. Try burning in this country a Muslim, ISIS, British Mexican etc flag. See what happens. RESPECT for those who fought for it. God Bless the USA.

Respect is earned, not forced...

Veteran's Brilliant Response to Kaepernick Sitting for Anthem Shows U.S. What Tyranny Looks Like

Reaction Score
When all this sitting/knelling during the National Anthem began I was as upset as most of you are!
Then I had an epiphany (I looked that up), "Every-time they do that, no matter who it is, they are declaring that America is the greatest country on earth and they are honoring all who stood the wall defending their right to do that act!" So when you see athletes or whomever do that, they are broadcasting to the rest of the world that they live in the greatest country there was, is, and will be, because if they did that in Russia, Syria, North Korea, China, or anywhere the government tells them what to think or do, they would be killed on the spot, and here we argue whether it's right or wrong they have the constitutional freedom to express themselves peacefully!

Which gives me the same right to leave.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It's true that John Wooden forbade his players from joining a protest against the Vietnam War. In hindsight, I wonder if, a couple years later, he would have.
I do not believe Wooden forbade players from protesting on their own time, he just forbade them doing anything else during 'his time' i.e. the schedule practices/games - they were at school to go to classes and play basketball, as long as they respected those commitments, they could do whatever they wanted outside of that. Walton specifically was all over the place with political activism while still in school.

Reaction Score
With the season almost upon us... and tickets sales about to be "Huge".... I was curious about the latest fad out there where athletes are taking a knee during the National Anthem. Does anyone know if UCONN has a policy on this? Maybe it is just me but I would like to know before I attend a game if the players are planning on expressing themselves in such a manner. I know I do not always think the same as others, but players on a team represent that team and organization, and therefore have limited free speech and their expressions might not reflect those of the people who are paying to attend such event.

What do people think about this? Do you think it would happen at UCONN?
YES

Reaction Score
So, what if the all stand with one hand on their heart and the other raised in a fist, or as the Seahawks did as a team linking their arms, or if they all wear black lives matter tee shirts while standing, or ...?

I will not be surprised if they do choose to do something, and if they do, I am pretty sure they will all do the same thing as they know they are a team. That is the approach they have taken on their other social issues stances.

I will watch them regardless of what they choose to do - I believe in our constitution more than our flag and anthem, and I do not see protests to the playing of the anthem as anything more than a political statement that the country as a whole is not preforming as well as it should - I do not read into it anything about the military, or service men and women, or veterans whose service I honor, but do not put on a pedestal.

Geno and Chris are both knowledgeable of what's happening. If Geno believes his team wants to speak for those without a voice--Geno shall allow it. Some talked about how this actually honors America--I don't like the method--but it certainly speaks volumes that Americans have a right to speak or yell loudly when some section of Americans are being treated badly (not strong enough??)

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I do not believe Wooden forbade players from protesting on their own time, he just forbade them doing anything else during 'his time' i.e. the schedule practices/games - they were at school to go to classes and play basketball, as long as they respected those commitments, they could do whatever they wanted outside of that. Walton specifically was all over the place with political activism while still in school.

Exactly, my response was in respect to whole teams etc, rather than voicing as an individual. There are so many levels to this, what do people believe is the relevance to the anthem and flag, what do people believe is the responsibility to the team/employer etc. How are people getting involved at the root of the problems. There is a voice but there is also a process where actions show how to help those that need help. The beauty of the US is that everyone can voice their opinion but everyone should also expect to hear the opinions of others.

Reaction Score
That is an isolated incident. It was NEVER a regular occurrence in every game before 2009. Get YOUR facts straight.
I would be interested where you got your facts. I spent over 15 years watching football every Sunday from 1992 onward and they played the Anthem at every game I remember. So I guess I could believe you, or my own eyes.

Reaction Score
Do you think the black f
it's an interesting question as to what UConn's policy, and Coach Auriemma's policy, on the matter will be. Coach Auriemma has expressed admiration and respect for the women athletes in the WNBA who have joined these protests. He raised questions as to how the issue would be handled were it to come up at the Olympics. The issue did not come up. Would be worth the press corps asking him about it when the opportunity arises.

To those saying they would never support UConn women's basketball, or attend or watch a game, ever again were the players to kneel during the anthem, one should consider that the majority of players at the top ranks of the women's game, both in college and in the pro ranks, are black, while the fan base is overwhelmingly white. Black athletes are making a statement about their place in American society, and how they are being treated. Their experiences are often far different from those of the white fan base.

Whatever their plans, it's clear that black athletes are taking a stand, whether the white fan base approves or not. I wonder whether the UConn fan base would desert the Huskies were Coach Auriemma to offer his support for the gesture, and support his athletes' making that stand.
Do you think the black fan base would not follow the Huskies, if all the white players stand?

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Do you think the black f Do you think the black fan base would not follow the Huskies, if all the white players stand?
Any social commentary/political action/inaction may have an negative result with members of a fan bases - in is the nature of the beast. I react negatively to some posters on this and other boards based on their comments which is similar, and I actively avoid places, products, etc. when people associated with them offend me with their words or actions. Everyone weighs the importance of their beliefs against the pleasure that might be derived from ______ in choosing what they eat/drink/watch/particpate in/etc.

The NFL as an organization and many of their owners really offend me, but I really enjoy watching pro football so I still watch and read, but I have stopped watching any of the hours of pre and post game hoopla as my little protest.

If i could find a consistently good alternative to ESPN's web site, I would avoid it, because I don't like that company either, but they are still the best in the game especially for the WCBB and WNBA information so I am stuck.

Reaction Score
I was being
Any social commentary/political action/inaction may have an negative result with members of a fan bases - in is the nature of the beast. I react negatively to some posters on this and other boards based on their comments which is similar, and I actively avoid places, products, etc. when people associated with them offend me with their words or actions. Everyone weighs the importance of their beliefs against the pleasure that might be derived from ______ in choosing what they eat/drink/watch/particpate in/etc.

The NFL as an organization and many of their owners really offend me, but I really enjoy watching pro football so I still watch and read, but I have stopped watching any of the hours of pre and post game hoopla as my little protest.

If i could find a consistently good alternative to ESPN's web site, I would avoid it, because I don't like that company either, but they are still the best in the game especially for the WCBB and WNBA information so I am stuck.
I was being facetious....LOL

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I liked what the Liberty did on Saturday. Supportive, but not disrespectful. And the entire team participated. Pretty classy.

I suspect Geno will address this with the team and their response will be appropriate. He's bound to be asked about it before the first exhibition game.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I would be interested where you got your facts. I spent over 15 years watching football every Sunday from 1992 onward and they played the Anthem at every game I remember. So I guess I could believe you, or my own eyes.
Wrong again. What I said was, before 2009 players stayed in their locker rooms before the anthem was played. Before then the question of what players should or shouldn't do during the anthem's playing was irrelevant. At times some fans yell things or do things in concert during the playing of the anthem, some of which is not repeatable here. Is this honorable or respectable or unpatriotic?

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Wrong again. What I said was, before 2009 players stayed in their locker rooms before the anthem was played. Before then the question of what players should or shouldn't do during the anthem's playing was irrelevant. At times some fans yell things or do things in concert during the playing of the anthem, some of which is not repeatable here. Is this honorable or respectable or unpatriotic?

And just to make sure the two of you don't continue talking past each other:

JordyG, when you say "players," you're specifically and only talking about UConn women's basketball players, yes?

JordyG

Reaction Score
And just to make sure the two of you don't continue talking past each other:

JordyG, when you say "players," you're specifically and only talking about UConn women's basketball players, yes?
No, I'm talking about the NFL where the focal point of this discussion really is. I think I need to say something that I've said repeatedly here and elsewhere. I love this country to death. Sometimes as I walk this city that I love my heart bursts with pride. Yet I am also an avid believer in Voltaire's phrase "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I believe that when we start to parse our great constitution and say well, this amendment is more important or supercedes this one we run into trouble; I will defend to the death each and every amendment extant. It is my hope that most Boneyarders feel as I do.

Reaction Score
I guess I am still waiting for a source for this information. I, like you, don't take someone's opinion as fact..... especially when I have seen differently with my own eyes.

Reaction Score
I don't know if the article was real, but I read that Jerry Jones had informed the Cowboys players and staff that they would not take a knee on his field. Maybe that is just a bunch of Texas make-believe stuff but I can't say that it is not true, either. But it sounds like something that Jerry Jones...[mod edit: politics] would say.
As much as I hate the Cowboys, good for Jerry Jones.

Reaction Score
Do you think the black f Do you think the black fan base would not follow the Huskies, if all the white players stand?
I think you have to do this type of question on an individual basis--However, I look at this as not a RACE issue but an AMERICAN issue--I think you find there will almost/ if not greater White turn out in protesting the occurrences..

Reaction Score
Three different issues----Respectable (in the eye of the beholder), Honorable (depends on your value system and heritage) --
Unpatriotic---What determines what is or what isn't Patriotic. Personally ---I see the antics on the sidelines during the anthem as disrespectful (my value system would not allow me to do that). I attended lots of games at the Field house and Gampel but forget when the National Anthem was played---without incidents who remember these details from being there??? As for Uconn WBB prior to 2009 and during the time Svetlana Abrsomosa played (I remember because of an incident) all except Svet held their hands over their hearts--Svetie was a Russian not an American (no dis respect there) Swanea (spelling) Family was military and she ALWAYS held her hand on her heart during the playing Prior to 2009 and Svet was close to 1998

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, I'm talking about the NFL where the focal point of this discussion really is. I think I need to say something that I've said repeatedly here and elsewhere. I love this country to death. Sometimes as I walk this city that I love my heart bursts with pride. Yet I am also an avid believer in Voltaire's phrase defend to the death you"I may not agree with what you say, but I will r right to say it." I believe that when we start to parse our great constitution and say well, this amendment is more important or supercedes this one we run into trouble; I will defend to the death each and every amendment extant. It is my hope that most Boneyarders feel as I do.
I agree with you highly---I have, at least most of my life (with some exception) lived by those words and go one step further --I believe in the words Teddy used at Bobby funeral---don't recall all except " other see and ask WHY--Bobby asked Why not (my Never say Never grew out of that) I believe in the Constitution in the words written and meaning at the time written.

Reaction Score
If players have the right to take a knee (which I believe they do), then I have the right to be pissed off at them.
For ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction---for every action there is a consequence---what goes around comes around

Take your pick everything you do reflects upon you ( and at times your family) The most effective protest is Financial. Vote by walking.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I guess I am still waiting for a source for this information. I, like you, don't take someone's opinion as fact..... especially when I have seen differently with my own eyes.
Understandable. I have to say honestly this is why I love The Boneyard. I'm sure we agree on many things. The fact that we perhaps don't agree on this one takes nothing away from either of us. I'm sure however we can both agree that our love for this country informs everything we say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom