Tailgating Toys/Tips/Food | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tailgating Toys/Tips/Food

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I've only tailgated once and it was a blast. I had season tickets for two years (lost my job at the time so couldn't afford to renew), but it was really only me and my girlfriend at the time. So we ended up just heading to the stadium a little early so I can see UCMB (being a former member makes we not want to miss a second of pre, half or after game show). Unfortunately, I work two jobs now so I can only make it to one game this year, which will most likely be BYU or Boise St. I am going to try to get a bunch of people to come with me. Any recommendations on what kind of food I should cook? All I know is buffalo chicken dip is a must!

What to cook depends on how much you like to cook. Easy thing to do is grill sausages (I always throw in peppers and onions), hamburgers, etc. Chili in a crock pot is always good too. Sweets (cookies, brownies) are good for kids and visitors. Look into a 500 watt power inverter that you can hook to the car battery for electronics as well. Then you can bring a tv, radio, fan, etc if you want.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
There must be a market for that, but I don't see it. Grill, cooler, tent, table, chairs, and a produce box from Sams' Club for the unperishables fits nicely into the back of an SUV.

Go to a game down south. I know many many people that would spend $2200 at the drop of a hat for tailgating gear. Sadly, they would not pay that same money to improve their public school systems :)

Reaction Score
What to cook depends on how much you like to cook. Easy thing to do is grill sausages (I always throw in peppers and onions), hamburgers, etc. Chili in a crock pot is always good too. Sweets (cookies, brownies) are good for kids and visitors. Look into a 500 watt power inverter that you can hook to the car battery for electronics as well. Then you can bring a tv, radio, fan, etc if you want.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely have gotten a lot of feed back. I convinced a few of my friends to go, one of which has a nice generator we'll be able to use. So we'll definitely be able to have a radio, crockpot and TV going. I'm gonna buy just a cheap propane grill for now so that it'll at least get me through the spring game and then take it from there. Food so far hasn't so much been planned out. We were talking pot luck for now. I think this works out for everyone since everyone is pretty strapped for cash lately. But I'm hoping for wings, burgers, dogs, buffalo chicken dip and maybe some steak tips (see how the cash flow is next month) and hopefully stuffed peppers. Games will definitely have a table for pong and flip cup, my friend made a bean bag set and hoping the generator is able to set up my Nintendo 64 so we can play Mario Kart 64. Other than that, I think all I need is going to be a canopy.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Based on your post above, you are good to go. Really don't need much else. The tailgate goes fast, so enjoy it and don't worry about that 1 item you forgot. It'll take 3-4 tailgates before you really get your system down anyway. An over the air antenna will get you ABC, Fox, and CBS which will have a game on if our game is later than noon, so you should be good there too. As for the canopy, and EZ Up is nice if you can borrow one, but not necessary. Bring water too.

Reaction Score
Go to a game down south. I know many many people that would spend $2200 at the drop of a hat for tailgating gear. Sadly, they would not pay that same money to improve their public school systems :)
I totally agree. I can think of two people off the top of my head who would order this before the end of the summer if I sent that link to them. One is my cousin, his last set-up cost at least $1,700. He would buy this just to keep up with the tailgate arms race he and two of his buddies have been fighting for years. Personally, I have a coleman grill, two tables, two coolers, and a crock-pot. More than enough for me and my crew.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Personally, I have a coleman grill, two tables, two coolers, and a crock-pot. More than enough for me and my crew.

Yeah, it is not rocket science, and my fun at a tailgate has NEVER been impacted by how fancy someone's gear is. A grill, folding table, tv, food, & booze is all I need.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I can think of two people off the top of my head who would order this before the end of the summer if I sent that link to them. One is my cousin, his last set-up cost at least $1,700. He would buy this just to keep up with the tailgate arms race he and two of his buddies have been fighting for years. Personally, I have a coleman grill, two tables, two coolers, and a crock-pot. More than enough for me and my crew.

Yeah, it is not rocket science, and my fun at a tailgate has NEVER been impacted by how fancy someone's gear is. A grill, folding table, tv, food, & booze is all I need.

Given the arms races in the South where there is not only College football, but NASCAR and the RV parks are bigger than the Car parking lots, I can see it. They smoke full pig during a tailgate if they can get there early enough. But I'm in the same boat as not worrying about what the guy next to me has in order to enjoy myself.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

That's the ticket right there. It's all good, everybody brings something. Well, almost all good. Back when we first started, the guy in charge of bringing the food shows up late, tosses a pound of sliced turkey on the table and says "Where's the beer?" Then about the beer. That was only time I bought food inside.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But I'm in the same boat as not worrying about what the guy next to me has in order to enjoy myself.

Exactly, but what's cool is if you forget something or run out of fuel the guy next to you will always help you out.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
That's the ticket right there. It's all good, everybody brings something. Well, almost all good. Back when we first started, the guy in charge of bringing the food shows up late, tosses a pound of sliced turkey on the table and says "Where's the beer?" Then about the beer. That was only time I bought food inside.

LOL, I would have let him have it.

Reaction Score
http://www.boxlife.squarespace.com/

ATM%20-%2003.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...e-future-of-tailgating--photos-195041150.html

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It could use a hot tub where the two captain chairs are on top.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Powdered alcohol? That's a cry for help.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Some thoughts for the BYU menu... http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/51637367-80/aggie-amet-bear-burgers.html.csp

Fry Sauce? Green Jello?, Funeral Potatoes? Pastrami Burgers?? I'm liking the Pastrami burger concept tho...

I'm with you husky medic. The pastrami burger sounds DAMN good!

Pastrami burgers

In Utah, it's perfectly acceptable to put mounds of thinly sliced pastrami on a charbroiled cheeseburger. This meaty offering first appeared in the 1980s as the signature offering at Crown Burgers restaurants. Since then, other Greek-American fast-food outlets have also made it a menu staple. News of this distinctive burger has even reached the coasts, as the pastrami burger was the focus of a 2009 New York Times' regional food feature.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom