Tailgate Menu for Buffalo-Back to basics... | The Boneyard

Tailgate Menu for Buffalo-Back to basics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Much like the team needs to hone in on the basics (blocking, tackling, yada yada), so to is our tailgate back to breakfast fare. We'll do eggs, pancakes, bacon. I have a bumper crop of chilies from my garden, so I'll be making some jalapeno & Fresno chili poppers as an appetizer. Maybe buy some wings on Friday to reheat on Saturday. Beer selection-will check out some choices at the packie from the Buffalo region. Maybe even take up Dan's plea to drink that libation from Old Latrobe for mojo purposes. There you have it: Back to basics & kick up the heat!

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I had it in my head that I had to make buffalo wings from scratch... Probably Friday night, then put them on the grill Saturday... Um if that's what I was going to do it would be WAY easier to just pick up cooked ones from somewhere instead! Thanks coachcap.

Now what else to add to the menu...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My father said he was making "buffalo hash" to have with eggs early. I'm not sure if that means buffalo meat or what. Can you even get buffalo meat around here?

Reaction Score
My father said he was making "buffalo hash" to have with eggs early. I'm not sure if that means buffalo meat or what. Can you even get buffalo meat around here?
There's a buffalo farm in Amherst, just off-campus from UMass. In addition, I saw a few grazing on a farm on the Conn-Mass border in May when I was driving from an event in Mass. to pick up my son in Storrs. So, to answer your question, it's around.

Reaction Score
Much like the team needs to hone in on the basics (blocking, tackling, yada yada), so to is our tailgate back to breakfast fare. We'll do eggs, pancakes, bacon. I have a bumper crop of chilies from my garden, so I'll be making some jalapeno & Fresno chili poppers as an appetizer. Maybe buy some wings on Friday to reheat on Saturday. Beer selection-will check out some choices at the packie from the Buffalo region. Maybe even take up Dan's plea to drink that libation from Old Latrobe for mojo purposes. There you have it: Back to basics & kick up the heat!
FYI- Since Anheuser-Busch bought Rolling Rock it is no longer brewed in Latrobe.
The old Rolling Rock brewery now brews Sam Adams.

Reaction Score
If you're trying to stick with a regional theme - Genesee is the remaining upstate NY beer. There are obviously tons of mircos up here, but the Genesee is the real survivor and is gaining popularity again (cue the laughter). I've got a bias as I grew up on it so I love Genny Reds, Genny Goat and 12 Horse. If I want a chewy beer that overly hopped none of these fit the bill, but for a regular light american lager cold Genny Reds are pretty good.

I happen to be a fan of the light american lager for a tailgate, I want to be able to drink a few beers and not be weighed down by those so I can eat and drink equally.

You should be able to get buffalo meat in your super market, I know we have it in eastern upstate NY in regular markets, not just specialty stores.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
If you're trying to stick with a regional theme - Genesee is the remaining upstate NY beer. There are obviously tons of mircos up here, but the Genesee is the real survivor and is gaining popularity again (cue the laughter). I've got a bias as I grew up on it so I love Genny Reds, Genny Goat and 12 Horse. If I want a chewy beer that overly hopped none of these fit the bill, but for a regular light american lager cold Genny Reds are pretty good.

I happen to be a fan of the light american lager for a tailgate, I want to be able to drink a few beers and not be weighed down by those so I can eat and drink equally.

You should be able to get buffalo meat in your super market, I know we have it in eastern upstate NY in regular markets, not just specialty stores.

nice! i visit upstate ny a good amount. when i'm up there i ask the bar for a blue light(genesee) or a club(utica). good looks!

Reaction Score
French toast casserole upon arrival, wings before the game (wings over Newington), buffalo burgers after the game. Lots of BLs & seasonal brews

Reaction Score
The Shoprite Stores carry it from some vendor as vacuumed packed ground bison/beefalo. In the ground beef section.

Reaction Score
In addition to the wings the beef on wheck is a very nice sandwich to add to the buffalo theme.

I will just be sticking to the liquid diet.

Reaction Score
Rolling with Challah bread French Toast and steak and egg sandwich on a bagel, doing it with sum NY flav........NY challah and bagels, as much as I love home, NY rules on the bagels and Challah bread........add Bloody Mary's and it's all good.........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Shoprite Stores carry it from some vendor as vacuumed packed ground bison/beefalo. In the ground beef section.

Dad shops at ShopRite. That must be part of his plan.

Reaction Score
This thread always makes me happy. Thanks for starting it each week coach.
Wings & Beer, it's what's for breakfast, along with the usual chips, dips etc... . Someone will bring a box of joe and munchkins from D&D no doubt.

Reaction Score
I've been there, I thought that was UMass
Could be. It's on the outskirts, & you can't miss it when coming from I-91. My boys would go nuts when they saw them when attending the huge Garber youth lacrosse tourney held annually on campus.

Reaction Score
Every time I go to Cabela's, which isn't often, I get a Buffalo Burger.

When I was in Montana last week I had a burger made out of Wagyu Beef. It was pretty much the best burger I have ever had.

Reaction Score
Pretty much almost any supermarket will have ground buffalo/bison meat. It'll be usually pre vacuum packed and in different packaging and is quite expensive. When cooking with it you have to take in consideration that it's a very lean meat. For instance, for the burgers you need to almost undercook them or they'll dry out since they don't have the standard fat content of an 80/20 mix that is usually what burgers are made from.

One of these days I have to try to do a tailgate. I have never gone to one before. My college had a football team but there was zero buzz and I never expressed an interest in going to it. What exactly is needed to participate in this? I see there are different lot parking passes and they're different prices. When people do them how early do they come, whats it like out there? Are people just mingling around going to tailgate to tailgate? Do people sell their food/drinks or is it just handed out to people?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty much almost any supermarket will have ground buffalo/bison meat. It'll be usually pre vacuum packed and in different packaging and is quite expensive. When cooking with it you have to take in consideration that it's a very lean meat. For instance, for the burgers you need to almost undercook them or they'll dry out since they don't have the standard fat content of an 80/20 mix that is usually what burgers are made from.

One of these days I have to try to do a tailgate. I have never gone to one before. My college had a football team but there was zero buzz and I never expressed an interest in going to it. What exactly is needed to participate in this? I see there are different lot parking passes and they're different prices. When people do them how early do they come, whats it like out there? Are people just mingling around going to tailgate to tailgate? Do people sell their food/drinks or is it just handed out to people?

You are welcome anytime at ours anytime, BG. Send me a PM, I'll tell you what to do. Park across the street at the Aircraft Club and stop by.

I can't speak for the Red Lot, but the Blue Lot may be the friendliest place in CT on game day. I have a buddy who will talk to anyone. He'll walk through the Blue Lot and say "Hey, that looks good!" Most (All?) of the time the folks will insist he try some of what ever it is.

My favorite story comes from that Virginia game. We had VA fans that were going to stop by and I met them in front of gate C. They were in their 60's I would guess. I pointed out our tailgate. One guy says, "If you don't mind, we'll be right there. But you see that Jack Daniel's flag over there? You have to figure that some one with a Jack Daniel's flag might have some Jack Daniel's? We are going to go check it out". A few minutes later they came by quite happy with the northern hospitality.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Try it, BG, you'll like it! Bring some friends, a grill, and some beverages and the rest will take care of itself. Lacking any of those- most can be obtained when you arrive if you ask nicely. :)

Gates open at 8am for a noon kickoff. No food vendors- bring your own- but like Waquoit alluded to, if you are friendly and outgoing, you can get fed quite easily! Most folks start cooking breakfast and roll right in to lunch stuffs... Other than that, throw back a few brews, play some cards or some bean toss, and just enjoy the atmosphere!

Reaction Score
You are welcome anytime at ours anytime, BG. Send me a PM, I'll tell you what to do. Park across the street at the Aircraft Club and stop by.

I can't speak for the Red Lot, but the Blue Lot may be the friendliest place in CT on game day. I have a buddy who will talk to anyone. He'll walk through the Blue Lot and say "Hey, that looks good!" Most (All?) of the time the folks will insist he try some of what ever it is.

My favorite story comes from that Virginia game. We had VA fans that were going to stop by and I met them in front of gate C. They were in their 60's I would guess. I pointed out our tailgate. One guy says, "If you don't mind, we'll be right there. But you see that Jack Daniel's flag over there? You have to figure that some one with a Jack Daniel's flag might have some Jack Daniel's? We are going to go check it out". A few minutes later they came by quite happy with the northern hospitality.

Thanks for the offer, whats the grey lot, I noticed a lot of those parking passes were available.

So if I get this right you basically bring/cook way more food than you need with the expectations of giving most of it away? I have no problem as I like to cook for others.

Reaction Score
Try it, BG, you'll like it! Bring some friends, a grill, and some beverages and the rest will take care of itself. Lacking any of those- most can be obtained when you arrive if you ask nicely. :)

Gates open at 8am for a noon kickoff. No food vendors- bring your own- but like Waquoit alluded to, if you are friendly and outgoing, you can get fed quite easily! Most folks start cooking breakfast and roll right in to lunch stuffs... Other than that, throw back a few brews, play some cards or some bean toss, and just enjoy the atmosphere!

The problem I have is I am basically the only avid sports fan out of my family and group of friends. I am envisioning the setup sort of like a campgrounds in that everyone has their own thing going on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for the offer, whats the grey lot, I noticed a lot of those parking passes were available.

So if I get this right you basically bring/cook way more food than you need with the expectations of giving most of it away? I have no problem as I like to cook for others.

The problem I have is I am basically the only avid sports fan out of my family and group of friends. I am envisioning the setup sort of like a campgrounds in that everyone has their own thing going on.

The campground comparison is apt. As far as our tailgate goes, it's like a pot-luck supper, people bring what they want. We handle the infrastructure and drinks and bring something. We try to make sure we have at least a pack of hot dogs in the well in case of unexpected company.

The grey lot is over on the Pratt side of the stadium. For non-pass holders, I suggest parking in the Aircraft Club lot off of Silver Lane. It's right across the street and easier to leave. A few bucks cheaper too.

Reaction Score
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to send a pm through this. I only get options to "start a conversation" which I assume is some sort of chat room or something or post on a profile which isnt a PM. Do you need a certain amount of posts or something before the option becomes available or am I missing it somehow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom