System QBs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

System QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Rich Rodriquez designed his version of the spread when his team was unable to make a first down. The spread allowed his lesser talented team top move the ball. The idea you need a strong team around to magnify the talent at QB is not supported. The west coast offense was invented because teams didn't have the talent to run the ball.

If you have strong talent, you don't need a gimmick offense.

I don't think a "gimmick offense" is a gimmick any longer... It's been like this for plus 10 years now... We ain't goin back to the old days run an offense... not if you don't have enough talent... It's a foolish way to think about running one's offense without having kids that can run it successfully... destined for mediocrity in the Win/Loss column....or worse, failure...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
LOL that you still think Boyle was better than Whitmer.
Exactly. I can't let him change the narrative to weasel his way out. Pal's argument was never to simply evaluate Boyle - it was ALWAYS that Boyle was BETTER than Whitmer, and that Diaco was too dumb to see it.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I can't let him change the narrative to weasel his way out. Pal's argument was never to simply evaluate Boyle - it was ALWAYS that Boyle was BETTER than Whitmer, and that Diaco was too dumb to see it.

Yes, that's why he boasted about his track record pointing to Orlovsky and Nebrich as his shining moments. When it became apparent that Boyle wasn't better than Whitmer he changed his narrative that he only wanted to give Boyle a chance. Odd that he'd brag about his track record of calling for backups to play more when the starter isn't producing. It's like bragging about your track record of predicting the sunrise to be 100%.

Reaction Score
Im like 1 for 4 - 25%
I thought Frazier would be REALLY good - he was decent - I was WRONG.
I thought Endres was the furture when he got his shot - that went up in smoke - Iwas WRONG.
I thought Nebrich would be given a chance - didnt happen - I was WRONG.
I thought Boyle was highly overrated and didnt see anything last year that made me feel warm and fuzzy and in his brief stints this year, that would lead me to believe he was the Future QB, until he got beaten out, according to HCBD - then he got his chance and so far he proved me right - so up to now I was RIGHT.

(He does have 2 years of eligibilty to prove me WRONG - which I hope he does, truly do!)
You were not wrong about Nebrich, he has been successful at Fordham. I would say you were at least half right!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Rich Rodriquez designed his version of the spread when his team was unable to make a first down. The spread allowed his lesser talented team top move the ball. The idea you need a strong team around to magnify the talent at QB is not supported. The west coast offense was invented because teams didn't have the talent to run the ball.

If you have strong talent, you don't need a gimmick offense.
What is gimmicky about not having the same talent on the offensive line from 1 year to the next?

Reaction Score
Didn't CC set a UConn passing record with that talent last year?

Our WRs were the strongest unit on the team with Davis and Foxx both superior college receivers. No?
See Husky 25 response......He gets it...

Reaction Score
It was really the only choice. Continuing to play Whitmer made zero sense. At least, now, we know what we have in Boyle, a very unpolished and not very reliable player. It's still better than going into next year in the dark, no?

You weren't ahead of Diaco. Boyle wasn't playing for a reason most rational people could decipher. He wasn't as good as Whitmer. Continuing to play Whitmer made all the sense in the world as long as there was hope for a bowl game. Once that vanished he agreed with going with the inferior Quarterback who has more time to develop. The only difference between you and Diaco is you wanted to quit on the season earlier. So, perhaps you were ahead of Diaco in that regard. Diaco wasn't going into next year in the dark. He knew what he had because he saw him every day.

Basically you're congratulating yourself for whining for months because Diaco refused to prove to you what he already knew. Whitmer was better than your golden boy.

Reaction Score
What is gimmicky about not having the same talent on the offensive line from 1 year to the next?
That's almost every team. Systems are often used to help poor offensive lines just as they are used to compensate for QBs. The west coast ofense was invented for just such a reason. The WCO started as a gimmick offense.

This is pretty easy to understand. I'm making it as simple as possible.

Reaction Score
It was pretty easy to understand why Boyle wasn't playing more, but I digress.

The system is irrelevant if the QB can't execute it. We need more talent.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
It was pretty easy to understand why Boyle wasn't playing more, but I digress.

The system is irrelevant if the QB can't execute it. We need more talent.

Couldnt agree more -

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That's almost every team. Systems are often used to help poor offensive lines just as they are used to compensate for QBs. The west coast ofense was invented for just such a reason. The WCO started as a gimmick offense.

This is pretty easy to understand. I'm making it as simple as possible.
The West Coast offense is a much a gimmick as the forward pass. It's origins can be traced back over 45 years, but look at the names at QB who initially ran Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense (or derivation thereof).

It starts with Kenny Anderson, Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Elway, Donovan McNabb, Brett Favre, (Heisman Trophy Winner) Ty Detmer, and Jim McMahon, among others.

I'll let you figure out what they all have in common.

Also, the basic principle of the West Coast offense is to use short to intermediate passes to open up the running game and take a few shots down the field. The UConn line couldn't hold blocks long enough on a consistent enough basis to allow for the shots down field.

Systems are used for poor O-lines as much as poor QBs, but what system compensates for deficiencies in both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom