System QBs | The Boneyard

System QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You watch some of these offenses and you hear the announcers talking about system QBs. That's code for a QB who has great stats that are more attributable to the system than to the QBs talents.

Why can't we get a system like that?

Reaction Score
You watch some of these offenses and you hear the announcers talking about system QBs. That's code for a QB who has great stats that are more attributable to the system than to the QBs talents.

Maybe we already have the system but need the QB?

Reaction Score

Because ESPN hates UConn?

Reaction Score

Really? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=system quarterback
It also requires being surrounded by strong talent...No slander here but when is the last time you analyzed the talent surrounding our QB? Your code and moon dust aside you may see something in a couple of years.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I'm not totally convinced that our QB numbers in recent years don't accurately reflect the system(s) they've played in. Does the system QB label only apply to someone with good numbers?

Reaction Score
sign me up for an option oriented system with mobile QB's. I don't ever want to hear the UCONN offense called "pro style" again, I want a no huddle offense with all the latest gimmicks and tricks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=system quarterback
It also requires being surrounded by strong talent...No slander here but when is the last time you analyzed the talent surrounding our QB? Your code and moon dust aside you may see something in a couple of years.
Didn't CC set a UConn passing record with that talent last year?

Our WRs were the strongest unit on the team with Davis and Foxx both superior college receivers. No?

Reaction Score
Wait, I thought all we needed was for the backup to get a fair chance?
He did, the coaches did exactly what I suggested. ..and we're better off for it.

If we had just continued to play Whitmer as some of the denser fans insisted, we would have had the same record but would have gone blindly into 2015.

Reaction Score
And it worked out well for us.

It was really the only choice. Continuing to play Whitmer made zero sense. At least, now, we know what we have in Boyle, a very unpolished and not very reliable player. It's still better than going into next year in the dark, no?

Reaction Score
It was really the only choice. Continuing to play Whitmer made zero sense. At least, now, we know what we have in Boyle, a very unpolished and not very reliable player. It's still better than going into next year in the dark, no?

So in other words, despite your constant griping, Diaco handled this as well as he could. Played CW because he was clearly better and got to see enough of Boyle for a fair evaluation.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
He did, the coaches did exactly what I suggested. ..and we're better off for it.

If we had just continued to play Whitmer as some of the denser fans insisted, we would have had the same record but would have gone blindly into 2015.

So now that we dont go blindly into 2015 - what do you see for the future of UConn Quaterbacking?
Inquiring minds want to know as you are now 3 for 3 on calling for the backups, according to your track record you kept on this stuff.

Reaction Score
So now that we dont go blindly into 2015 - what do you see for the future of UConn Quaterbacking?
Inquiring minds want to know as you are now 3 for 3 on calling for the backups, according to your track record you kept on this stuff.

Listen he knew that Orlovsky should replace Keron Henry. He is practically a football savant.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Listen he knew that Orlovsky should replace Keron Henry. He is practically a football savant.

Im like 1 for 4 - 25%
I thought Frazier would be REALLY good - he was decent - I was WRONG.
I thought Endres was the furture when he got his shot - that went up in smoke - Iwas WRONG.
I thought Nebrich would be given a chance - didnt happen - I was WRONG.
I thought Boyle was highly overrated and didnt see anything last year that made me feel warm and fuzzy and in his brief stints this year, that would lead me to believe he was the Future QB, until he got beaten out, according to HCBD - then he got his chance and so far he proved me right - so up to now I was RIGHT.

(He does have 2 years of eligibilty to prove me WRONG - which I hope he does, truly do!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im like 1 for 4 - 25%
I thought Frazier would be REALLY good - he was decent - I was WRONG.
I thought Endres was the furture when he got his shot - that went up in smoke - Iwas WRONG.
I thought Nebrich would be given a chance - didnt happen - I was WRONG.
I thought Boyle was highly overrated and didnt see anything last year that made me feel warm and fuzzy and in his brief stints this year, that would lead me to believe he was the Future QB, until he got beaten out, according to HCBD - then he got his chance and so far he proved me right - so up to now I was RIGHT.

(He does have 2 years of eligibilty to prove me WRONG - which I hope he does, truly do!)

Frazier took us to the Fiesta Bowl. He wasn't great, but he was a gamer.
Endres - can't control for personal behavior.
Yes - Nebrich didn't get an opportunity initially, but he also then took himself out of the game (not saying he was wrong, but he left).
Boyle - I believe he can probably get better, but we need someone to be accurate, and that he isn't.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I will tell you where I was dead wrong. I thought with what I saw out of Boyle's arm in 2013, that he would do well if given a chance this year. I thought the only reason why they gave the job to Casey was because Boyle still had a red shirt year and Casey earned the shot to start after how he closed out 2013. Now that I have seen Boyle play, I realize it was capability holding him back all along. I still think he has the physical skills...but his confidence seems to be shot.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Didn't CC set a UConn passing record with that talent last year?

Our WRs were the strongest unit on the team with Davis and Foxx both superior college receivers. No?
You answered your own question correctly. The answer is no. There were 4 prominent offensive lineman on the 2013 team that were not there in 2014.

An offense is built from those closest to the ball, out. Not the other way around.

Reaction Score
So in other words, despite your constant griping, Diaco handled this as well as he could. Played CW because he was clearly better and got to see enough of Boyle for a fair evaluation.
I was just a little ahead of Diaco. LOL, that you are still promoting Whitmer. Did you catch the Army game?

Reaction Score
You answered your own question correctly. The answer is no. There were 4 prominent offensive lineman on the 2013 team that were not there in 2014.

An offense is built from those closest to the ball, out. Not the other way around.

Rich Rodriquez designed his version of the spread when his team was unable to make a first down. The spread allowed his lesser talented team top move the ball. The idea you need a strong team around to magnify the talent at QB is not supported. The west coast offense was invented because teams didn't have the talent to run the ball.

If you have strong talent, you don't need a gimmick offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom