Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Syracuse vs South Carolina, Stanford vs Notre Dame

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The WCBB world is officially upside down. Two of these teams are going to be in the FF: Washington, Syracuse, TN, or Stanford. One of those teams would have been a surprise two is inexpiable!
And one of them will be in the NC game!

Reaction Score
I think you're forgetting that we play defense pretty good. We're pretty good at basketball. :rolleyes:
Same can be said of ND. My point is it only takes one crazy night and the rest of the seasons statistics are meaningless. See Tenn. See SC. See ND. Stanford highest output came at such a perfect time. But having said all that, this UConn team is above that IMO. We will see.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They didn't beat UConn in the tournament. Big difference.
Yep, big difference. But the Cardinal beat ND and UConn. The only team beating ND had been UConn. Stanford was the only team to really challenge us last year. Tourney or regular season, those were 2 shockers.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to change what they do. No way Stanford beats us. They learned that lesson last year. Stanford made an awful lot of horrible cross-court passes that should have been intercepted. Where was Notre Dame's D? Where was Briana Turner? Believe me, UConn will not allow Stanford to score 50 points in one half.

Where was ND DEFENSE? Who said they had any?..I hadn't seen it all year.

Reaction Score
Watch yourself, dude, or you will find yourself eating Augie's mojo sandwich!
What are the odds they get that far? 50-50 at best from what I see. They can play poorly anytime.

Reaction Score
Against Stanford last year, UConn was up what, maybe 8, with 4:00 to go in regulation and Kia gets her 5th foul. Saniya was an offensive star that game, but was lost on defense when it mattered most. That was sort of the end of her season. But Kiah Stokes took that terrible shot around 1:15 left in regulation that really gave Stanford the chance (and drove Geno crazy). UConn was playing its 2nd west coast game in a couple of days, and played sloppy at the end. UConn lost more than Stanford won.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I get too nervous to enjoy big games, so I decided to play cards instead of watching this one.

This was not the news I had hoped to come back to. I'm really proud of this team. Had some things going against them and probably overachieved to this point. I feel for the seniors. For the rest, this is motivation for next year.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
While I have no great love for the South Carolina players, it is disturbing to see a visibly upset young lady subjected to stupid questions. Congrats to her teammate for handling the major part of the foolishness and to Coach for stepping in for the really stupid question at the end. There were lots of good questions that could have been asked, instead mindless drivel.

Reaction Score
I reme
Against Stanford last year, UConn was up what, maybe 8, with 4:00 to go in regulation and Kia gets her 5th foul. Saniya was an offensive star that game, but was lost on defense when it mattered most. That was sort of the end of her season. But Kiah Stokes took that terrible shot around 1:15 left in regulation that really gave Stanford the chance (and drove Geno crazy). UConn was playing its 2nd west coast game in a couple of days, and played sloppy at the end. UConn lost more than Stanford won.

I remember Stokes shot - Auriemma clearly expected the offence to run some clock and get it under a minute to play before looking for the basket; he was so sure that's what they'd do, he had turned his back to the court to consult with his staff, when Stokes inexplicably put up that 18 foot brick. He immediately turned around and was, like, "what the hell?" I often wondered if that contributed significantly to Stokes avoiding taking shots (other than put-backs) the rest of the season.

In any case, it took a hell of a corner three by Orrange to get them to OT.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Where was ND DEFENSE? Who said they had any?..I hadn't seen it all year.

Yeah, and Brianna Turner disappeared the entire first half too. That's not like her. She got it going in the second half, but it was too late. Note Dame made a charge late in the game, but Stanford held them off.
Tonight was the first time I've rooted for Stanford since that fateful day back in Nov 2014. Isn't life wonderful? :)

Reaction Score
One of these teams will be playing in the championship game: Washington, Stanford, Syracuse, or Tennessee. Who would have thought?

Even before this day, still think that Baylor is an intriguing and possibly hardest match-up given the way they've been playing lately. Although it's probably best not to look ahead given the events that unfolded today....

Reaction Score
I wonder what the most popular college mascot is. There are several teams with Huskies. Maybe Tigers are pretty popular too.

The 12 most used names of four-year college mascots: Eagles (74), Tigers (46), Bulldogs (39), Panthers (33), Knights (32), Lions (31), Bears (30), Hawks (28), Cougars (27), Pioneers (27), Warriors (27) and Wildcats (25).

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
At least we got some good Taya Reimer twitter drama out of this.

Reaction Score
My young grandchildren who live almost in the shadow of the Dome are thrilled. However, their roots are UConn and Duke. Talk about a family with issues.
They need to follow their Husky hearts.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to change what they do. No way Stanford beats us. They learned that lesson last year. Stanford made an awful lot of horrible cross-court passes that should have been intercepted. Where was Notre Dame's D? Where was Briana Turner? Believe me, UConn will not allow Stanford to score 50 points in one half.
Last year UConn went to Stanford, played horrible perimeter defense, allowing an enormous amount of penetration, particularly at the end of the game and that gave Stanford the opportunity to get into overtime, where Morgan fouled out and that was the game. That won't ever happen again because UConn's defense learned from that and their guards are far, far more disciplined than they were in that 2nd game of the season. Beyond that, Breanna and Moriah are completely different type of players than they were then and little sister Samuelson is playing at a wonderful level. Stanford, if they're still around, won't sneak up on the Huskies, believe me.

Reaction Score
Yep, big difference. But the Cardinal beat ND and UConn. The only team beating ND had been UConn. Stanford was the only team to really challenge us last year. Tourney or regular season, those were 2 shockers.
True but we were playing at Stanford, had lost two starters and it was the second game of the season. UConn still played poorly but they weren't the cohesive unit they are now, to say the least. That was maybe the poorest defensive performance I have seen from UConn in many, many years and it still took some last minute stuff to send Stanford into overtime where foul trouble decided the game.

Reaction Score
Lol, y'all gotta let A'ja Wilson go. She made the decision for her. Let it go.

Just rejoice in our lost tonight like expected.

Good game by Syracuse. Coach Q called a good game. I like those guards. Wish we had some.
Sometimes recruits decide to go somewhere other than UCONN and it may very well be the best decision for them. She did take her time, and I think it probably WAS the best decision for HER.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom