Syracuse, UConn headed different directions since Big East split (Syracuse.com) | The Boneyard

Syracuse, UConn headed different directions since Big East split (Syracuse.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really hate posting this because I can see SmugMurphy's face while reading his quotes.

Syracuse, UConn headed different directions since Big East split

Then there's this schlit from the Cuse writer:

>>So far, UConn has done a good job maintaining the strength of its revenue programs, although there may be some cracks starting to show.

After four seasons without a bowl appearance, UConn went to the St. Petersburg Bowl last year. The men's basketball team won national titles in 2011 and 2014, but it also missed the tournament in 2015 and hasn't been higher than a No. 7 seed since 2011. The Huskies are battling the perception that head coach Kevin Ollie will soon transition to the NBA. The Huskies finished 44th in the Director's Cup in 2011. They placed 57th last year, and 74th the year before that.

Syracuse, meanwhile, is delivering school-record Director's Cup results, and has a pair of men's basketball Final Four appearances in the past four seasons. It's only missed the NCAA Tournament once since 2009. The football team is scuffling, but many believe head coach Dino Babers can fix that.<<

Reaction Score
What measures success? I like championships. It would be interesting to see how many NC's compared to them since the breakup. I'm sure it's lopsided in our favor.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The cuse football radio guy was on wtic this week talking about how being in the ACC has somehow made them nationally relevant in soccer and field hockey. Basically, sports everyone tells UConn that don't matter. Didn't Frost turn down the cuse coaching gig for UCF?

Reaction Score
A lot - not all but a lot - of Cuse fans on their board are insane. One guy said he'd take only one championship over our 4 if it meant being in the ACC.

I don't know about you but I watch sports and find euphoria in winning it all. Apparently other fanbases find euphoria on the day the conference schedule comes out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A lot - not all but a lot - of Cuse fans on their board are insane. One guy said he'd take only one championship over our 4 if it meant being in the ACC.

I don't know about you but I watch sports and find euphoria in winning it all. Apparently other fanbases find euphoria on the day the conference schedule comes out.

I'd be willing to make a deal: I'd trade 10 women's basketball championships for membership in the ACC. I'll await their counter.

Reaction Score
Chris Carlson and I went to high school together in West Hartford. Conard High, class of '00. I went to UConn. He went to Syracuse. He was a good guy back in the day. Biggest thing we had in common was our love of UConn hoops.

Reaction Score
It seems to skip over a lot of details.

Let's face it, Syracuse being in a p5 gives them a big edge. But 10M isn't changing anything yet. Long term, yeah it's like asking Uconn to run a marathon carrying a 25lb backpack.

But what cracks? No mention of facilities? No mention of Uconn transitioning from a HOF coach, which Syracuse has yet to do? And there was that little snafu of NCAA violations. No mention of these.

And it suggests one game won't matter. Which is kind of true, but it certainly sends a message.

Lazy article meant to grab eyeballs from the fans.

Reaction Score
The cuse football radio guy was on wtic this week talking about how being in the ACC has somehow made them nationally relevant in soccer and field hockey. Basically, sports everyone tells UConn that don't matter. Didn't Frost turn down the cuse coaching gig for UCF?

Yes he did because he was smart enough to realize that UCF is 10x the job as Syracuse for a young coach. At UCF he can recruit Florida athletes, even if they are a tier below those that go to UF, FSU, and The U. At Syracuse they can recruit third tier kids from NY, NJ, PA and of course their home market Canada. At UCF you have a chance to build a relevant program, like they had a few years ago, and that Houston has now. He can win 9-10 games in The AAC. Cuse LOL. They can win maybe 5-6 games depending on what FCS Schools they can schedule and how bad Duke, BC, WF and UVA are in any given season.

Reaction Score
Sure Uconn has won 2 out of the last 6 Men's Bball Championships but they didn't make the tournament in 2015. We on the other hand have made two Final Fours over that same time period. Clearly 2 Final Fours>2 Championships when judging the direction of a program, LOL wut?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
"Georgetown was our rival."

Yeah? Then why go out of your way to write about...ahem...UConn.

And emphasize (poorly) that you're doing so much better now than them?

Insecurity and denial is the Zeitgeist of the modern Syracuse fan, and this article is Exhibit 'A.'

Reaction Score
Only 3 schools went from being in the BCS to out of what became the P5. Of course, miraculously we had to be 1.

Reaction Score
Since the split UConn has won 5 national titles: mbb, 2 field hockey, 2 wbb. Our football team has made 1 bowl game (0-1).

During that time Cuse has won 2 national titles in men's XC and Field Hockey. They also made 1 bowl game (1-0).

In what universe has Cuse faired better than UConn athletically since the split?

Reaction Score
The fruits suck. Hope we crush them today. Outside BCU, there isn't another team we want to hate more.

Reaction Score
Since the split UConn has won 5 national titles: mbb, 2 field hockey, 2 wbb. Our football team has made 1 bowl game (0-1).

During that time Cuse has won 2 national titles in men's XC and Field Hockey. They also made 1 bowl game (1-0).

In what universe has Cuse faired better than UConn athletically since the split?
This article is all about money and the future.

Reaction Score
This article is all about money and the future.

Right which is why half the story is about on the field success. Money is a part of it but the story looks at the big picture holistically.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Syracuse, UConn headed different directions since Big East split
Yep UConn keeps heading toward more national championships, while Syrcause has been heading away from them.

Reaction Score
Right which is why half the story is about on the field success. Money is a part of it but the story looks at the big picture holistically.
Since split, Director's cup rankings (aka on-field success) have gone in opposite directions and that is more than likely directly related to money. The story with basketball has been a bit different, and while I would take our teams over theirs any day, final four appearances are a big deal. Furthermore, it's sad that UConn has to subsidize its athletics so heavily compared to Cuse. Don't get me wrong, I hate Cuse but these numbers are difficult to ignore. It's now or never for UConn. It is, as the article says, unsustainable in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom