Sun and Storm Trade -- Renee to Seattle | The Boneyard

Sun and Storm Trade -- Renee to Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
LINK

SEATTLE – In support of the mission to reinvigorate and rebuild the franchise, the Seattle Storm is excited to announce the acquisition of new talent to the franchise. In a trade with the Connecticut Sun, the Storm has added guard Renee Montgomery, and the third and 15th picks in the upcoming 2015 WNBA draft. In return, the Sun acquire veteran post Camille Little and forward Shekinna Stricklen.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Renee was probably in Donovan's Dog House more then she ever was in Geno's She gets a new start in Seattle. With the acquisition of Stricklen, Kelly Faris may have a hard time making the Sun Roster this year.

Wondering if Storm will take Eliz Williams with the 3rd pick if she's available. Too high to take Kiah.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
You know when I first read it, I thought it I saw 12th and 15th picks. I agree Kiah isn't going 3, but two top picks in the back of the 1st early second, I would think it would be a no brainer. We'll see. You can never have too many Huskies on your team. I think something like only one champion in the last dozen years or so didn't have a Husky (Indiana).

Reaction Score
The Sun had to do something to make up for the loss of Chiney.
She may be back by mid-July, but maybe not.

Reaction Score
My cousin Camille coming to visit CT for the summer. Good pickup while Chiney is out but hate to see Renee go

mr006

Reaction Score
You can never have too many Huskies on your team...

The Sun (or, more likely, Donovan) seems to disagree. Down to just Kelly Faris now. Will be interesting to see if that impacts attendance.

Reaction Score
The Sun (or, more likely, Donovan) seems to disagree. Down to just Kelly Faris now. Will be interesting to see if that impacts attendance.
I think losing is far more detrimental to attendance than not having UCONN players on the team

Reaction Score
Good move for the Sun.

I think it will work out well for Renee. With Chelsea Gray set to come back this year, Renee probably wasn't going to get much playing time. Now she's in a situation where she potentially has a future, instead of being mired in the muck that is the Connecticut Sun right now.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
So let me get this straight... The Sun trade two first-round draft picks and a solid PG for two players off one of only two teams that were worse than they were last year? This will be another tough year for the Sun and, hopefully, the last year for Donovan whose hiring will probably go down as the second worst coaching decision in the State's history. (Pasqualoni, of course, remains number one by a significant margin.)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Renee can learn from Sue. I'm thinking that K may wind up in Seattle too.

Reaction Score
So let me get this straight... The Sun trade two first-round draft picks and a solid PG for two players off one of only two teams that were worse than they were last year? This will be another tough year for the Sun and, hopefully, the last year for Donovan whose hiring will probably go down as the second worst coaching decision in the State's history. (Pasqualoni, of course, remains number one by a significant margin.)

The Sun traded a first and a second round. They retain the overall#4 pick in the draft. I anticipate both teams will benefit from this trade. Renee's time in CT had passed, she didn't fit in this new team. Stricklen very much will, and Little certainly tides them over through missing Chiney this summer, and provides extra post strength for the future.

Reaction Score
Interesting trade by Seattle. Any thought to the idea that they have their sites set not necessarily on this draft but instead on 2016?

#StinkForStewie?

Reaction Score
I wondered about that. They traded two vets for Renee and two picks from a weak draft. Net/Net not a lot of help for this year. They could be downgrading in hopes of getting a high pick in next year's much stronger, Stewart/Loyd draft. Is Jackson coming back this year? That could make a big difference too.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

I worry about chemistry. Last year it seemed pretty good. Renee has always been a good glue player as was Chiney. Dunno how these guys will blend. At least 3 new players (assuming the Sun are done trading), Loss of the team's star player (again), short training camp, and a short season = no real time to gel.

Unfortunately, odds are greatly against Kelly staying with the Sun this year IMO. She didn't show a lot so far as a pro, and even in the WNBL (where Kelsey Griffin is a genuine star) she was not impressive. 12 to a roster and a #4 pick coming in (maybe). How do you keep her? Her only hope is that the Sun finally give up on McCray, but even then...

13 as of today...
PLAYER POS HT
Alex Bentley G 5''7"
Kelsey Bone F-C 6'4"
Katie Douglas G-F 6'0"
Kelly Faris G 5"11"
Kelsey Griffin F 6'2"
Allison Hightower G 5'10"
Ebony Hoffman F 6'2"
Danielle McCray G-F 5'11"
Kayla Pedersen F 6'4"
Alyssa Thomas F 6'2"
Shekinna Stricklen F-G 6'2"
Camille Little F 6'2"
Chelsea Gray G 5'11"

Reaction Score
IMO- that roster doesn't look too bad considering they should get a good draft pick.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Who was the head coach of the 2004 WNBA champions--that defeated Mike Thibault?

rocky rococo- - - You could have coached Seattle to the 2004 title with Sue Bird, Lauren Jackson, Swin Cash, & MVP Betty Lennox among other stars!
And any dead person, oh wait, we're talking Anne Donovan here, could have won the Olympic Title with the greatest players in the world on your bench! The WBB Olympic Head Coach's prayer is " Please God don't let me F this up!" Geno has said several time you don't OVER COACH this team you give them direction and discipline and get out of their way!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Donovan's record as a head coach:
Regular season: 190 - 195
Post season: 14 - 17.

Her record says it all!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
IMO- that roster doesn't look too bad considering they should get a good draft pick.

PS - Kelsey Bone is tweeting that she has some sort of a knee problem. No indication of how serious, but she seems concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom