Suggestions on stuff to do in Boston | The Boneyard

Suggestions on stuff to do in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Going there for college visits and for my son to attend a prospect clinic. We have done most of the typical stuff. Any suggestions on less-typical stuff to do there?

Reaction Score
Was there for the 4th...we kayaked the charles river which was a lot of fun and doesn't seem to be the typical tourist thing to do

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, grabbing a meal and a few beers at Redbones and then catching a session and a few Guinness at The Burren is a great night imo.

They are in Somerville, right off Davis Square.

Reaction Score
In all seriousness, grabbing a meal and a few beers at Redbones and then catching a session and a few Guinness at The Burren is a great night imo.

Close to a red line T stop. Thanks!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
What kind of activities are you looking for? Restaurants, bars, museums? If you want nontypical and you're looking for father-son fun, hit up F1 racing in Braintree (assuming you don't have something similar in your area).

Reaction Score
What kind of activities are you looking for? Restaurants, bars, museums? If you want nontypical and you're looking for father-son fun, hit up F1 racing in Braintree (assuming you don't have something similar in your area).
Sounds like a blast but a bit out of town. I am pretty open right now. I know we will eat our way through the north end and maybe hit the aquarium as my wife hasn't been there yet.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Avoid Fenway if you are considering it "as a thing to do" unless you are a hardcore baseball fan. It's cool for about 10 minutes until you realize it's the bottom of the first inning, you are $200 deep and now broke for any future beers and your bored out of your mind. To me it's a tourist trap.

Try Faneuil Hall during the day, maybe go whale watching and hit Kenmore Square/Harvard Square at night or the North End for some good food. The Charles river area near the Science Museum is awesome, the aquarium is great too.

Good places to eat a nice (aka somewhat expensive) meal are Pico, Toro, Gaslight or Parish Cafe for great gourmet sandwiches by Boston's popular chefs.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what an under-drinking-age teen might find fun in Boston, the city is pretty directed towards already-in college students, yuppies, and tourists.

Reaction Score
I thought the aquarium was pretty fun. Looking at fish is never a bad way to kill some time. There are some good spots to eat around there too without having to commit to one of the touristy restaurants (i.e. cheesecake factory).

Agree with poster above re: fenway. You'll drop some serious coin before you know what hit you on food, drinks, admission etc.

Reaction Score
Isabella Stewart Gardner museum is really cool.

Shellfish at Atlantic Fish or Island Creek.

Duck boat tour was better than expected if you haven't done that yet.

I also 2nd kayaking or paddle boarding (or even sailing) on the Charles and through the Esplanade lagoons. Fun for a teen and great views of the city.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Davis is actually a great little young / hipster neighborhood. The next Harvard Sq. I lived there for 3 years (not sure how they allowed that considering I'm the opposite of hip). If he is looking at Tufts, you've got to go to Davis.

Reaction Score
I had my wife's teenage cousins visit last summer, we took them kayaking on the Charles and they loved it. I second the Gardner museum too

If you like jazz music, there are a couple of jazz clubs right off Mass Ave not far from the symphony. Daryl's, which is like a formal place with food, and Wally's which is a hole in the wall and serves cheap drinks with no cover, great music at either.

There's a bunch of escape room places throughout the city, only been to one but it was a good time. Depending on your family dynamic that might be fun or aggravating

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Davis Sq has been my stomping grounds for the last 7 years or so. There are some great restaurants in addition to the aforementioned Redbones.

Painted Burro has great Mexican & margs
The Foundry is a gastropub w/ pretty good craft beer and whisky selection
5 Horses is fairly similar to The Foundry but a little more mainstream and a bit cheaper. Better Beer list in my opinion.
Next to the Burren is an unmarked door that leads down to Saloon. Its a great whisky bar. Neat vibe.

Harvard Sq is also worth checking out for restaurants and bars.

For touristy things - I would have to agree with @Jay-Bone that the Duck Boat tours were much better than expected.

Something I did recently that I really liked was a Boston Harbor Cruise to Spectacle Island & George's Island - Harbor Islands

Spectacle Island has a very easy hike that will get you a nice view of Boston, and Georges Island is basically an old fort. Very cool to explore. You can even bring food out there and they have grills and pick nick tables set up. Only costs $17 for a round trip ticket and you can plan your own day based on their schedules.

The Gardner Museum is my favorite in Boston.

Reaction Score
Surprised to see so much discussion of Davis Square. I also live in near Tufts.

Reaction Score
The walk in globe at the Christian Science Center is great (I know I'm a broken record).

I love the Daily Catch in the North End, but I like it in the afternoon and I've been going there for 30 years so I probably have a bias in favor of how good I think it is. Calamari (not just fried, thankfully) is obviously good and the skate is great.

Getting out on the Charles is always going to be good.

I don't know, oysters and drinks at ICOB then a game at fenway is pretty damn good.

Reaction Score
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas guys and there is a serious convergence on this Gardner Museum so I will take a close look at that. Same with the duck boat tour.

Reaction Score
A lot of great suggestions have already been posted and you can't go wrong with any of them, but definitely go to the Gardner Museum.

I assume you probably have been to the North End, but if not be sure to go there and enjoy the Italian food and be sure to get a cannoli at either Mike's or Modern Pastry. Both are great, but you can sit down and have a cappuccino with your cannoli at Modern Pastry.

For fun go to BCU and ask if they still have a basketball program. :D

Reaction Score

Had sweet cheeks in Kenmore for thee first time recently. Thought it was very good.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I assume you probably have been to the North End, but if not be sure to go there and enjoy the Italian food and be sure to get a cannoli at either Mike's or Modern Pastry. Both are great, but you can sit down and have a cappuccino with your cannoli at Modern Pastry.

And quite frankly, Modern is better anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom