Sue!!!!!!!! | The Boneyard

Sue!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
8 points and 5 assists in 7 minutes. Seattle took a 17-2 lead over the Sun. It's now 28-14 with 2 mins left in the first. Stewie is raining threes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
30-16 at the end of 1. Good ball movement and even better shooting, at 77%. Stewie has 11 and 5 in 10 minutes. On a per 40 basis, that's 44 and 20. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
56-37 at the half. Stewie has a very efficient 19 points on just 7 shots. She, Sue, and Jewell have combined for 41 points.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sue's having an excellent year. Stewie showing she's the future of the game at her position. Obviously both showing what we already knew - deserving to be on the Olympic team.

But... I've not seen Minny play this year - what's up with Whalen? You think if there were any revisiting of her spot on the team, they might consider Sims over her? I'm really curious about her - for people who have watched a number of WNBA games, any thought that maybe Whalen should have been passed over for a different PG?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Great line from the Seattle color announcer: "Sue Bird is playing chess when everyone else is playing checkers."

Reaction Score
Sue's having an excellent year. Stewie showing she's the future of the game at her position. Obviously both showing what we already knew - deserving to be on the Olympic team.

But... I've not seen Minny play this year - what's up with Whalen? You think if there were any revisiting of her spot on the team, they might consider Sims over her? I'm really curious about her - for people who have watched a number of WNBA games, any thought that maybe Whalen should have been passed over for a different PG?
i have to admit, I love Whalen. She's my favorite non-uconn player, but yeah she was banged up last year and this year looks better but maybe not where she was 4 years ago. I think it just comes down to the fact that Geno trusts her. After all, minny is undefeated.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seattle showed tonight what they're capable of when Stewie, Sue, and Jewell all have great games. Langhorne also had a good offensive game. They still need more from their bench, but it's hard not to be impressed with what they showed.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The presumptive Rookie of the Year had 29 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. As TJI says, MVP-type numbers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
i have to admit, I love Whalen. She's my favorite non-uconn player, but yeah she was banged up last year and this year looks better but maybe not where she was 4 years ago. I think it just comes down to the fact that Geno trusts her. After all, minny is undefeated.

Not any more more. The Lynx finally fell back to earth. Tonight's final score: MY Sparks 94, your Minny 76. How you like us now? ;)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Not a chance - Whalen and Bird both know how to be star players and the fifth offensive option on a team at the same time. That is a balance that is really hard to achieve and something that Diggins and Sims do not yet possess. It is difficult to pick that up on pro teams because they end up being the first or second or at worst third best option on those teams. Watching Jewel run point for Seattle when Bird takes a breather is painful - she is a really exciting player on her own, but her vision is limited to what is immediately in front of her.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Not any more more. The Lynx finally fell back to earth. Tonight's final score: MY Sparks 94, your Minny 76. How you like us now? ;)
maybe Parker could replace Whalen or Augustus on the Olympic after tonight's victory

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not a chance - Whalen and Bird both know how to be star players and the fifth offensive option on a team at the same time. That is a balance that is really hard to achieve and something that Diggins and Sims do not yet possess. It is difficult to pick that up on pro teams because they end up being the first or second or at worst third best option on those teams. Watching Jewel run point for Seattle when Bird takes a breather is painful - she is a really exciting player on her own, but her vision is limited to what is immediately in front of her.
Makes sense. I was just curious what other people are thinking in watching the ladies play this season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Seattle showed tonight what they're capable of when Stewie, Sue, and Jewell all have great games. Langhorne also had a good offensive game.

And when they get to play against the Sun...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Agreed about Jewel at PG. She's a star in the making at PG, but they could use Erin Phillips or Tully Bevilaqua. When Sue is out of the game, the ball movement suffers. When Sue, Stewie, and Jewell are out of the game, they are severely scoring challenged. When their Big 3 are on their games, as they were last night, the team looks very, very good. They shot 70% in the first half and 61% for the game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Seattle showed tonight what they're capable of when Stewie, Sue, and Jewell all have great games. Langhorne also had a good offensive game. They still need more from their bench, but it's hard not to be impressed with what they showed.

Seattle (Connecticut Sun/San Antonio Stars) qualified for a lottery pick the last two seasons for a reason, they stink!! Their teams were incapable of beating the elite teams (the Lynx & Mercury etc.) in the league, and thus had the worst records in the league. Remember those pearls of wisdom from that astute scholar and philosopher, former NFL head coach Bill Parcels: "You are what your record says you are".

Their front office personnel didn't help. They made a series of bad decisions in drafting and making trades. It takes time to turn a franchise around. In spite of the recent additions of KML, Loyd and Stewart, the Storm is still a year or two away (depending on future draft picks, free agent acquisitions and trades), and from becoming a legitimate contender for a playoff berth on a consistent basis.

Today's top teams in the league (Sparks, Lynx, Mercury, and Liberty) all have something in common. Quality and experienced leadership at the top. Quality veteran GM's and coaches that know their craft, and know how to evaluate and attract elite available talent, in addition to being better than average chess players. Leadership always starts at the top.

Look at the professional sports organizations that are constantly at the top of the leader board every year, i.e, The Pittsburgh Steelers, The SF 49'ers (during their glory years> DeBartelo/Bill Walsh/Montana/Rice era), New England Patriots (Kraft/Belichick era), the Boston Celtics (Red Auerbach/Bill Russell era), L.A. Lakers during Jerry Buss/Pat Riley & Phil Jackson/showtime era. See the commonalities?

ALL consistent winners over an extended period of time. All of these organizations had solid ownership, excellent coaches, above average players and a long term blue print for success that they executed and didn't waiver from. It's a fact of life. If you want to be successful, look around you and find others that are successful at doing what you want to do, and follow their lead. Do exactly what they are doing.

There's an art to being successful, and understanding business. It has to be learned/mastered. If it was easy, it would be common place, and everybody would be rich and successful. Everybody is not suited to be a GM, just as everyone is not suited to be a leader.

The Cleveland Browns - an example of a team/organization that has not yet grasped this concept. Perennial bottom feeders year after year after year. No stability. They change coaching staffs every 2- 3 years. Their last head coach got fired after only 1 year. Their players seldom stay long either. The Browns have yet to produce an environment/culture that attracts the league's best players.

Carnac

Reaction Score
maybe Parker could replace Whalen or Augustus on the Olympic after tonight's victory

I've read just about every post submitted here regarding Parker and her being left off the 2016 Olympic Team. Based on what I've read here in the boneyard, this is what I've taken away from this situation:
1. - I think it's a done deal. Barring injury to players on the current Olympic roster, I don't see Parker being added to the squad. Whalen (they feel) is a better fit chemistry wise than Parker.
2. - I don't think it was a matter of her talent level/proficiency that kept her off the team. It seems to be a team chemistry issue, and the panel that chose the final roster didn't feel that she was a good fit on this year's team.
3. - I think her omission was was more political than anything else.

I'm not an expert on the women's Olympic team, or the nuances of it's operation. There are other contributors to this board that are far closer, much more knowledgeable and have more insight on this issue than I do.
Personally, I think Parker should be on the team. She's been an all-star, a league MVP several times, and one of the premier players in the WNBA for years. She still appears to be at the top of her game today.

Her omission has to be for reasons other than her physical ability or inability to compete at the world level. I think she's as good as anyone else on the team, and can play multiple positions. She's the Sparks' leading scorer on most nights. As far as we know, she's completely healthy. I also understand that there were a lot of other all-star caliber players that did not make the cut. A similar argument could be made for them as well.

I think some of the players were selected because of their prior membership/performances on prior Olympic teams. The coaches already know them, what they can do, and what they can be counted on to bring to team.
Their ability and willingness to accept whatever roll(s) the coaches want/need them to fill. All of this is assuming that they are healthy, they want to play on the team, and can still play at an optimum level.

I know there will be a poster or two that will disagree with this take. That's OK. This is MY take. This is the summation of what I took away from the comments and observations that were posted. There's no wrong or right here, just our various opinions. This is a topic that this collective board does not/will not agree on.

Reaction Score
The presumptive Rookie of the Year had 29 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 3 blocks. As TJI says, MVP-type numbers.
Maybe someday we'll see her do the unprecedented: a quintuple double!

Reaction Score
Seattle (Connecticut Sun/San Antonio Stars) qualified for a lottery pick the last two seasons for a reason, they stink!! Their teams were incapable of beating the elite teams (the Lynx & Mercury etc.) in the league, and thus had the worst records in the league. Remember those pearls of wisdom from that astute scholar and philosopher, former NFL head coach Bill Parcels: "You are what your record says you are".

Their front office personnel didn't help. They made a series of bad decisions in drafting and making trades. It takes time to turn a franchise around. In spite of the recent additions of KML, Loyd and Stewart, the Storm is still a year or two away (depending on future draft picks, free agent acquisitions and trades), and from becoming a legitimate contender for a playoff berth on a consistent basis.

Today's top teams in the league (Sparks, Lynx, Mercury, and Liberty) all have something in common. Quality and experienced leadership at the top. Quality veteran GM's and coaches that know their craft, and know how to evaluate and attract elite available talent, in addition to being better than average chess players. Leadership always starts at the top.

Look at the professional sports organizations that are constantly at the top of the leader board every year, i.e, The Pittsburgh Steelers, The SF 49'ers (during their glory years> DeBartelo/Bill Walsh/Montana/Rice era), New England Patriots (Kraft/Belichick era), the Boston Celtics (Red Auerbach/Bill Russell era), L.A. Lakers during Jerry Buss/Pat Riley & Phil Jackson/showtime era. See the commonalities?

ALL consistent winners over an extended period of time. All of these organizations had solid ownership, excellent coaches, above average players and a long term blue print for success that they executed and didn't waiver from. It's a fact of life. If you want to be successful, look around you and find others that are successful at doing what you want to do, and follow their lead. Do exactly what they are doing.

There's an art to being successful, and understanding business. It has to be learned/mastered. If it was easy, it would be common place, and everybody would be rich and successful. Everybody is not suited to be a GM, just as everyone is not suited to be a leader.

The Cleveland Browns - an example of a team/organization that has not yet grasped this concept. Perennial bottom feeders year after year after year. No stability. They change coaching staffs every 2- 3 years. Their last head coach got fired after only 1 year. Their players seldom stay long either. The Browns have yet to produce an environment/culture that attracts the league's best players.

Seattle has beaten the Mercury twice this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Seattle has beaten the Mercury twice this year.

I said "were incapable " to beat them. Were, as in "past tense". This is a new season. Seattle has a better team THIS year than they did last year. Stewie is beginning to figure this thing out. Let's see where the Storm finishes, and if they make the playoffs. As of today, they're 5-9 on the season. 4 games UNDER .500. The season is not half way done yet. Plenty of time left for them to fold, or to make their move to cement a spot in the post season. Let's not break out the party favors just yet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I said Whalen was my favorite non-uconn player, not that minny was my favorite team. I stand for Liberty. Let's see where your Sparks end up at the end of the season. They do look really good. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I said Whalen was my favorite non-uconn player, not that minny was my favorite team. I stand for Liberty. Let's see where your Sparks end up at the end of the season. They do look really good. ;)
I saw L.A. against San Antonio earlier in the season, and L.A. won only because S.A. was severely scoring challenged, irrespective of the defense. In most games, L.A. has looked VERY good. In the second half of last season, they looked very good too, though they definitely had lulls. When the Sparks are on top of their game, they are clearly a top 3 team and perhaps the best. I give Coach Agler a lot of credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom