Student Rec Center Sites Set...What does that mean For the Hockey Facility Location | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Student Rec Center Sites Set...What does that mean For the Hockey Facility Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
DoggPound please explain to us how UCONN can even be a middle of the pack HE program playing 45 min away from campus running the program out of Freitas which is a dump compared to the facilities of the program's you want to compete with on the recruiting trail.

I already have, post #6.

Reaction Score
The circus always come to Hartford in early(ish) May. I don't see how that interferes with the college hockey season, unless I'm missing something here?
Oh sorry, not the circus, Marvel Universe Live. Even better. UConn's home game with BU is on a Tuesday because that clownshow is in town for the entire weekend in October from the 22-25. http://www.xlcenter.com/events/detail/marvel-universe-live

The only reason that flies in Hockey East is because the travel isn't too long. The B1G would have none of it.

Reaction Score
Oh sorry, not the circus, Marvel Universe Live. Even better. UConn's home game with BU is on a Tuesday because that clownshow is in town for the entire weekend in October from the 22-25. http://www.xlcenter.com/events/detail/marvel-universe-live

The only reason that flies in Hockey East is because the travel isn't too long. The B1G would have none of it.

Once again for the umpteenth time, when the Wolf Pack leave in the next season or 2 it won't friggin matter that Marvel Universe or the circus is in town - there will be THIRTY-EIGHT opened dates (at least 20 of those Friday's and Saturday's). I don't know how this isn't registering yet but I guess it never will if it hasn't already, jeez.

Reaction Score
I already have, post #6.
Your scenario there isn't bad, but it's predicated upon this XL Center refurb that we all know is not going to be done by 2020. I'll run from Gampel to the XL Center if the facility is completed by then. If that facility ever does get done (never mind the question of where's the state getting money for two new arenas!) and a facility is built on campus, playing some of the bigger games in Hartford isn't a terrible idea - make them "event" games. But in order for recruiting to be up to par with the rest of the league, the program MUST be run out of the on-campus facility. That means, up-to-standard practice and weight facilities, more than 50% of games there, all player and coaching facilities there. Hockey isn't like basketball where you lace 'em up and play where you play and it's the same thing. Hockey players want to play their home games where they practice. They want to know how the boards bounce, how the ice surface works, where the dead spots are, get used to the rink width. These advantages are lost significantly if you're playing in a facility that's not where you practice, and it will negatively impact recruiting.

Reaction Score
Once again for the umpteenth time, when the Wolf Pack leave in the next season or 2 it won't friggin matter that Marvel Universe or the circus is in town - there will be THIRTY-EIGHT opened dates (at least 20 of those Friday's and Saturday's). I don't know how this isn't registering yet but I guess it never will if it hasn't already, jeez.
I don't know how it's not registering with you that Marvel Universe, Women of Faith, and Disney Live are all scheduled events on weekends in the fall at XL Center in time slots that could and should be slotted for UConn Hockey. You're arguing that because the Wolf Pack are supposedly leaving that all of these events are going to leave too in the future? The problem is that these events are even in the conversation for being scheduled ahead of UConn Hockey. No other Hockey East arena has these scheduling issues. All non-BU events at Agganis are 100% scheduled around hockey, all non-UMass events at Mullins Center are scheduled around UMass sports, the same for the Whit at UNH. That's because these arenas are owned by the universities. XL is not owned by UConn and thus they have to fight for their spots. Build an arena in Storrs and you don't have to worry about that at all. If Hartford is so desperate to keep big UConn hockey games games, then uConn tells them fine, for the BU, BC, ND, and whoever games that'll be there - we/Hockey East tell you the game's at 7:30 on Friday _______ and Marvel Universe takes a hike. Plain and simple. Tuesday games will not fly.

Reaction Score
Ok I don't know what else to say. If it doesn't register how 38 opened dates would make the other scheduling the building does a moot point it never will. Dead issue as far as I'm concerned if you're going to be obtuse.

Reaction Score
I maybe wrong; but with UMass-Lowell buying Tsongas a few years back and UMaine moving their basketball games to Bangor, all Hockey East Arenas are owned by their respective university except for UConn and only BC (and we know which team rules that roost) and UMass-Amherst have to share their hockey facility with another tenant. Ditto the B1G, with all university owned rinks with Ohio St and Wisconsin using dual purpose (hockey & basketball) arenas.

Reaction Score
Part of the long-term deal UConn's going to sign with the XL Center includes a provision for priority in scheduling.

Reaction Score
It would seem pretty obvious to me the impact on recruiting a new on campus facility has. Exhibit 1 is the UConn men's basketball team. It sure seems that their recent recruiting success more or less coincided with the opening of the new basketball practice facility, don't you think? This is a big reason why the new ice rink facility needs to be built in Storrs.

Reaction Score
It would seem to me the impact on recruiting a new on campus facility has to be pretty obvious. Exhibit 1 is the UConn men's basketball team. It sure seems that their recent recruiting success more or less coincided with the opening of the new basketball practice facility, don't you think? This is a big reason why the new ice rink facility needs to be built in Storrs.
Someone gets it! The Wolf Pack leaving is good, but not going to do it! Yeah, the 38 dates are great, but we're going to magically move all of those there and those tours are all going to oblige? And if not, XL is going to willingly not schedule them? There's way too many ifs and gonnas associated with playing all home games at XL on the weekend. The overarching point is, if you build an arena on campus, there's a 0% chance these are issues at all!

Reaction Score
I already have, post #6.
So I went back and re-read your post. DoggPound do you realize that the stance you take on the XL Center is totally contradictory to what you posted in post #6? You have only 1 time ever mentioned anything about a on-campus facility...and that was then. I don't think I'm the only one who is taking your position wrong either. You come across as wanting absolutely NOTHING to do with any on-campus facility what so ever...and that the XL Center is the end all...be all for UCONN hockey.

Reaction Score
So I went back and re-read your post. DoggPound do you realize that the stance you take on the XL Center is totally contradictory to what you posted in post #6? You have only 1 time ever mentioned anything about a on-campus facility...and that was then. I don't think I'm the only one who is taking your position wrong either. You come across as wanting absolutely NOTHING to do with any on-campus facility what so ever...and that the XL Center is the end all...be all for UCONN hockey.

I realize an on-campus arena needs to be in the offing and it'll be a significant asset in the long run for all purposes but where I disagree with many on here is about a. how many games should be played there ultimately and b. the timeline to build it. To me there's no rush and while I fully realize HE set a break ground mandate UConn itself doesn't seem overly concerned about it so either am I. As far as amount of games I believe there needs to be a split similar to the basketball.

My fear is if you go to Storrs full time UConn Hockey will become a more-or-less glorified QU. I don't want that for this program - I believe we can achieve more which is why both facilities are necessary long-term.

Reaction Score
I realize an on-campus arena needs to be in the offing and it'll be a significant asset in the long run for all purposes but where I disagree with many on here is about a. how many games should be played there ultimately and b. the timeline to build it. To me there's no rush and while I fully realize HE set a break ground mandate UConn itself doesn't seem overly concerned about it so either am I. As far as amount of games I believe there needs to be a split similar to the basketball.

My fear is if you go to Storrs full time UConn Hockey will become a more-or-less glorified QU. I don't want that for this program - I believe we can achieve more which is why both facilities are necessary long-term.
I agree with you 100% especially on the split (which I had also spelled out in an earlier post in this thread) except 1 point you make here. HE has given UCONN a deadline of April 2016 to have plans in place...1 yr later to have shovel in the ground. I would and fully do expect UCONN to announce plans sometime in March....why rush something like this. End game is around 5500 on campus...whether they get there in initial build or make it expandable is the biggest question.

Reaction Score
April '16 HE deadline goes away in a really B1G way.

If by some miracle that was to happen, may not matter much as the B1G may press for the samething. Currently, all B1G hockey teams play in university owned arenas on-campus with 4 schools with hockey only arenas (Penn St, Michigan, Michigan St & Minnesota) and 2 schools with dual purpose basketball/hockey arenas (Ohio St & Wisconsin).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom