STUDENT-Athletes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
04B89135-7524-466B-8434-9A53B58FD372.jpeg

Reaction Score
I would love to know who, and which semesters, but I'm willing to give the ladies some privacy. For the record, I had a 3.9 in my years at UConn, and I'm certain I spent as much time in the old Field House playing hoops as they do practicing. Of course, I didn't have to travel... lol

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
That's outstanding!!!! Not just Great on the court, but Excellent in the classroom!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is there a place you can see the players' majors?
Yes. Their Bios on the UCONN Roster page.

Griffin - Women's Studies (grad) now minors in Human Dev and Fam Services and Urban Community
Bueckers - Human Development and Family Services
Muhl - Psychology
Edwards - Communication
Ducharme - Sociology
Fudd - Communications
DeBerry - American Sign Language
Patterson - Sports Performance (individualized)
Brady - Communications
El Alfy, Bettencourt, Shade, Arnold, Samuels - either undecided or not listed

Reaction Score
My last semester at Uconn, I was kicked out as back then they didn’t allow a third semester of Scholastic Probation. My GPA: 0.627. Yup your are reading that right. The only one worse than that. John Blutarsky, Animal House, 0.00. Things did get better after that. High School was too easy so I didn’t really learn how to study.

Reaction Score
That is a great statistic considering how much some of the younger players are having to focus on Basketball while learning how to deal with a college work load. I have always thought Women did a much better job of taking care of school while playing sports and UConn has always seemed to have pretty smart players.

Reaction Score
My last semester at Uconn, I was kicked out as back then they didn’t allow a third semester of Scholastic Probation. My GPA: 0.627. Yup your are reading that right. The only one worse than that. John Blutarsky, Animal House, 0.00. Things did get better after that. High School was too easy so I didn’t really learn how to study.
Hell of a batting average!

Reaction Score
My 1.4 and 2.5 did get me a 3.9 for the year.

Reaction Score
That's still a common problem sadly. Glad things worked out for you in the long run.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I would love to know who, and which semesters, but I'm willing to give the ladies some privacy. For the record, I had a 3.9 in my years at UConn, and I'm certain I spent as much time in the old Field House playing hoops as they do practicing. Of course, I didn't have to travel... lol

I graduated Summa and was Phi Beta Kappa. :)

Reaction Score
I graduated Summa and was Phi Beta Kappa. :)
That must be why you are the "Voice of Reason." :) I was also Summa.... and got PBK my junior year, which is much harder than senior year (top 1% vs top 10%). Were you junior or senior year?

Reaction Score
Ha. So you think there is a comparison between you playing pick up and Geno practices just because of the time involved?

Reaction Score
Student athlete - on it's way to become an oxymoron. Nice that UConn still values that.

Reaction Score
Student athlete - on it's way to become an oxymoron. Nice that UConn still values that.
Why? It's not like there is a "one and done" component for WBB. They're getting their course load done and excelling grade-wise, with a schedule that could be seen a similar to having a part time job.

I don't see the difference in comparison to students who aren't on an athletic scholarship. It's not easy to keep up in either situation. Kudos to all students, athlete or otherwise, for accomplishing it.

Reaction Score
The best thing about the N.I.L. deal is that there's no push to leave early for the pros just for the money. It allows the kids to stay in school for the academic component which was kind of the point some hundred years ago. Now, post-covid, if a student graduates on time academically, and chooses to pursue grad school, will they allow a fifth year of eligibility? Not likely, but they are supposed to be students, and the income potential in the pros for the vast majority is non-existent. If it gives some the opportunity to continue studies...

Reaction Score
Ha. So you think there is a comparison between you playing pick up and Geno practices just because of the time involved?
time involved in terms of academics.... not the physical and mental demands of practice... :) But heck, they practice against men, I played pickup against men... LOL

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
In today’s world, even the parents don’t get to see anything unless the student agrees. Probably more justification for that for kids on full scholarship than when parents are paying a chunk of the freight. I wonder how many 18 and older students don’t give permission. Probably not many if they want car insurance paid for.

Reaction Score
In today’s world, even the parents don’t get to see anything unless the student agrees. Probably more justification for that for kids on full scholarship than when parents are paying a chunk of the freight. I wonder how many 18 and older students don’t give permission. Probably not many if they want car insurance paid for.
And cell phones. Let's not forget those cell phone bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom