Stuck in the AAC | The Boneyard

Stuck in the AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People can complain all they want about our new conference, however it looks like we will be stuck in this conference for a while. I think in order for us to get into one of the "power" conferences we need to do more then win-we need to sell out all our games and have some sort of stadium expansion planned (which they won't do until we sell out). People can say if we win, we will be accepted to a power conference-but what those people don't realize is that this is all about money and those conferences don't have incentive to invite a school that can't even fill 40k seats (we weren't selling out when we were winning either). If fans (especially the people on this board) started supporting the program by going to all games instead of just the games against the good programs) then maybe the university can make an argument to expand to 50-55k seats which will make us more attractive to recruits as well as other conferences (football is the one thing holding us back right now). I agree that coach P wasn't the best choice and hasn't performed and the same can be said of Warden Manuel, however that is out of our control-what is in our control is supporting the program by going to all the games and hopefully the rest will follow. I also believe that not supporting the football program more (and we need to do this immediately) that it will be to the detriment of all the sports programs.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
This is a critical time to support the program. We need to put fannies in seats, play solid, exciting football and the administration needs to work every angle possible. Those are the things we can control - we can't force any conference to expand for the sake of saving us.

Reaction Score
People can complain all they want about our new conference, however it looks like we will be stuck in this conference for a while. I think in order for us to get into one of the "power" conferences we need to do more then win-we need to sell out all our games and have some sort of stadium expansion planned (which they won't do until we sell out). People can say if we win, we will be accepted to a power conference-but what those people don't realize is that this is all about money and those conferences don't have incentive to invite a school that can't even fill 40k seats (we weren't selling out when we were winning either). If fans (especially the people on this board) started supporting the program by going to all games instead of just the games against the good programs) then maybe the university can make an argument to expand to 50-55k seats which will make us more attractive to recruits as well as other conferences (football is the one thing holding us back right now). I agree that coach P wasn't the best choice and hasn't performed and the same can be said of Warden Manuel, however that is out of our control-what is in our control is supporting the program by going to all the games and hopefully the rest will follow. I also believe that not supporting the football program more (and we need to do this immediately) that it will be to the detriment of all the sports programs.
ok we hear you. What r your ideas for getting people in the seats. The culture in connecticut needs to adopt this school and create sellouts and a lottery system to even get tickets. What do you propose? I don't know many people in my hometown that even talk about uconn football that aren't alums.

Reaction Score
ok we hear you. What r your ideas for getting people in the seats. The culture in connecticut needs to adopt this school and create sellouts and a lottery system to even get tickets. What do you propose? I don't know many people in my hometown that even talk about uconn football that aren't alums.

The only thing we can do as fans is buy tickets and encourage friends, family, co-workers, etc. to do the same. What more can we do? People are being paid big bucks to figure this out. Not our job. Go to games, travel if you can, and spread the word.

I often cannot give away my extras.

Reaction Score

Stadium needs to be expanded to a big boy venue. This replica of Santa's Christmas village does little to attract recruits or conferences. The excitement over stadium expansion (along with high octane promotion) will only help. Also fire Pasqualoni and get in here the best offensive/passing game coach money can buy. Got to start making Rentschler Football exciting, not the snooze fests they've become. Geez, the fans in the stands should be able to correctly call every 1st and 10 play.

Reaction Score
Invite HS football teams to a UConn sponsored tailgate and game on Wednesday/Thursday night games (There probably will be more than 1) Could do the same on Friday nights/Saturday for those teams that aren't playing or have curfews the day/night before a HS game.

Invite pop warner teams to weekend games......let them walk the field at half time.

Invite last year HS playoff teams to a reception prior to the first three games (I'm not sure if HS play starts before mid Sept).

If it is obvious there will be plenty of tickets available, don't cross your fingers and hope there is a huge crown buying tickets at the gate the day of the game........set aside a portion unsold seats to certain games well in advance to those games. Maybe then people that straggle in and find tickets aren't available the day of the game, will adopt a different attitude and pay more attention.

At least some of the unsold seats will have fanny's in them.

Reaction Score
The only thing we can do as fans is buy tickets and encourage friends, family, co-workers, etc. to do the same. What more can we do? People are being paid big bucks to figure this out. Not our job. Go to games, travel if you can, and spread the word.

same here.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Virtually anything involving high school aged athletes would be a NCAA violation. If they want to buy group tickets than sure, but you can't just invite them for free.
I'm pretty sure Rutgers invites entire HS rosters of schools with just one kid they are recruiting. There's some loophole, maybe they get free tickets because regular fans get freebies also.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

The biggest thing we can do is involve undergrads, at whatever subsidy necessary. They are our future.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Stadium needs to be expanded to a big boy venue. This replica of Santa's Christmas village does little to attract recruits or conferences. The excitement over stadium expansion (along with high octane promotion) will only help. Also fire Pasqualoni and get in here the best offensive/passing game coach money can buy. Got to start making Rentschler Football exciting, not the snooze fests they've become. Geez, the fans in the stands should be able to correctly call every 1st and 10 play.
Do you ever tire of writing the same posts over and over again?

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
And how do you sell out games and gain support? By winning.

Did we have a strong basketball following before JC showed up? I was at UConn for Edsall's last couple years and I feel like we had power-conference-worthy showings. What's the difference between then and now? We aren't winning.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
UConn's atheltic department had a lot of problems under Hathaway that may have contributed to our getting left back in the AAC. But even if we had had more competant leadership during that time, and more success on the football field, we just can't say with certainty that it would have been enough to leapfrog Pitt, cuse, Louisville, Rutgers, WVU. There's geography, TV markets, and luck. We can't change geography, the TV markets will change only slowly (though we can enhance that argument by building the brand), and most of the fanbase - judging by the boneyard with a few exceptions - is too shell-shocked by last year's realignments to have faith our luck will change. If Cuse and BC continue to help FSU c*ckblock us from getting the the ACC, our most likely escape route will continue to be unavailable.

The current athletic administration is a step up from Hathaway and hopefully will continue to improve. Yes, win more. Yes, do a better job with the fanbase, whatever that entails with this fickle state. And of course continue to build academics and research on the other side of things. But I fear too much of it is out of the hands of anybody at UConn, we need events to fall in our favor elsewhere (and the ACC GOR is a huge blow to those hopes).

So - my bottom line would be: support the team, buy tickets, bring friends, make noise in the stadium, stay through the fourth quarter, etc. etc. But do it because we love the team, and not because we expect to get invited to another conference in a year or two. Not doing that will hurt our chances, but to get in another conference we have to support the school and get lucky.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Bulls to the left of me, Green Wave to the right, here we are, stuck in the AAC

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are right of course but....

Sigh.

Reaction Score

So - my bottom line would be: support the team, buy tickets, bring friends, make noise in the stadium, stay through the fourth quarter, etc. etc. But do it because we love the team, and not because we expect to get invited to another conference in a year or two. Not doing that will hurt our chances, but to get in another conference we have to support the school and get lucky.

Lot of wisdom there imho.

I'm deeply disappointed about where we are. But, I'm keeping my season tickets and plan on being at the games with our group.....and I fully expect to have as good a time as we always do. Much bigger tragedies in life....

Reaction Score
Go into Thanksgiving weekend undefeated and there will be plenty of buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom