Stokes guarding EDD makes me smile | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stokes guarding EDD makes me smile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I knew this thread would start the EW vs Stokes debate ..... :rolleyes: ... and I was correct.

Congrats.....your as good a prognosticator as Rebecca Lobo!

Why is it a :rolleyes: topic?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Eliz Williams is playing 8+ minutes per-game and averaging 1.8 points
In a different league from Kiah's accomplishments

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congrats.....your as good a prognosticator as Rebecca Lobo!

Why is it a :rolleyes: topic?

I'll wait beyond 10 games...... I'll check back in 2017.

Reaction Score
Amazing what a player can do when the coach demonstrates confidence in that player, not only in words, but in actions. Laimbeer has been Kiah's biggest fan since day 1, and has really done a great job in having her get comfortable on the floor. I'm thrilled for her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Kiah playing alongside Tina is pretty good for Kiah -- Tina misses a ton of shots so Kiah should be able to get some offensve rebounds and put-backs.

Overall, Kiah isn't really doing things much differently than she did at UConn though the competition is much better. Defensively she's the same: excellent on defense, shot-blocking and rebounding. On offense she's still not looking to aggressively post-up on the block -- something she chose not to do at UConn either. She's been able to get a few layups off of pick-and-rolls and some put-backs since her pro teammates miss a lot more shots than her college teammates did.

She's playing 6 more mpg than she did at UConn while averaging 1.3 more points/gm, 0.5 fewer rebounds/gm and about 1.7 fewer blocks/gm. The competition is much tougher so good for Kiah for stepping up her game. Looks like she had excellent preparation for defending at the pro level.

Reaction Score
Kiah playing alongside Tina is pretty good for Kiah -- Tina misses a ton of shots so Kiah should be able to get some offensve rebounds and put-backs.

Overall, Kiah isn't really doing things much differently than she did at UConn though the competition is much better. Defensively she's the same: excellent on defense, shot-blocking and rebounding. On offense she's still not looking to aggressively post-up on the block -- something she chose not to do at UConn either. She's been able to get a few layups off of pick-and-rolls and some put-backs since her pro teammates miss a lot more shots than her college teammates did.

She's playing 6 more mpg than she did at UConn while averaging 1.3 more points/gm, 0.5 fewer rebounds/gm and about 1.7 fewer blocks/gm. The competition is much tougher so good for Kiah for stepping up her game. Looks like she had excellent preparation for defending at the pro level.

nice try.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"The steal of the draft," said Liberty coach Bill Laimbeer. "She's a solid defender, shot-blocker. She has great timing and is a solid rebounder. … I looked at her as a glue player alongside Tina [Charles] or in the worst case, a third post. But she's proven herself. She's going to be a really good WNBA player for a lot of years. I don't think spectacular, but in theory she can be a double-double, 10-11 points and 10 rebounds."

Solid defender, shot-blocker...great timing ... solid rebounder. Where did we hear that before?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes but fewer players are in Kiah's class defensively!!! Looks like Lambear really got the STEAL of this WNBA Recruiting class!! Isn't it great to see the player we cheered all year at UConn getting big results in the WNBA???
Kiah is still learning. I don't know if the is the 2nd best defender yet, but in a few years, only Griner will be a better defender. And Kiah is the better rebounder.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Success as a rookie is as much about team fit as it is skill and ability. Stokes is being asked to do what she does best...ball facilitate, screens, rebounding, and putbacks. The difference is she is asked to do this on a heightened level, as New York does not have great shooters.

Stokes is 10th among rookies in scoring, but 1st in rebounds and 1st in blocks. And she is tied for 13th among all players in rebounds per game while being 2nd in the entire WNBA in blocks per game.

And she is doing this in only 24 minutes per game.
Cam is spot-on about success depending on the team fit. Some of the Huskies, like Tiffany, have been a good fit. Kelly probably has not had as good a fit.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the same article Rebecca also said: “She is good enough finishing off around the basket that she should be able to score six or eight points a game,” Lobo said. “And I think she knows how to play with superstars. She knows how to impact the game without demanding [offensive] touches. …. She’s not going to be a Tina Charles-MVP type player, but she can be pretty good for a long time.”
Very prescient of her.:);)
Playing with superstars? Teammates Stef, Bria, Moriah, Kaleena, and Breanna combined for 9 first team All-American selections whole playing with Kiah.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I agree with your assessment. One quote from Kiah to add about her offensive game from the post-game presser last night:

“When Tina [Charles] gets it and she’s doubled, I can dive. There were times when I missed that and I could have had a few more baskets but in the end it’s just getting used to playing with each other especially with Tina [Charles]. As long as I’m just moving when [Charles] gets doubled and finishing around the basket that’s what I need to do.”

Reaction Score
Amazing what a player can do when the coach demonstrates confidence in that player, not only in words, but in actions. Laimbeer has been Kiah's biggest fan since day 1, and has really done a great job in having her get comfortable on the floor. I'm thrilled for her.

I sort of laugh every time I read this type of post. This just illustrates how spoiled us UCONN fans are.

So Kiah Stokes was "the 6th man" on what is arguably one of the greatest wcbb teams of all time two years ago and this year she played comparable minutes somehow this is twisted into / implied that Geno didn't have ANY confidence in her?

So Geno randomly plays a 6th man consistently like he did two years ago even though he has no confidence, right? SO we're supposed to totally disregard the ND game in which we walloped ND on their home court in which Kiah was a star, and instead hold it against Geno for not playing her vs UC in which UCONN played near perfect?

A few problems I have is that one - some believe that if all players get 20+ minutes it means they will be better each year. IMO that is a fallacy. If you need big minutes in college to be a successful pro player than explain Kiah Stokes? The explanation is that she got enough minutes and enough practice to hone her skills as a pro ball player. You can't twist your way around that but some will try.

Secondly, most of us UCONN fans predicted Kiah should be a 1st round pick. She was drafted around the spot she was rated coming out of h/s. Many of us WE KNOW WHAT WE SAW. She didn't much of the media criticism. Further, many of us didn't believe Laimbeer at all when he said Kiah was going to be a significant type of scorer on this team. So "believe the hype?" Really? Haven't we been UCONN fans long enough to know what is hype and what isn't?

Third- I know many like her- but Doris Burke's type of comments of how futile Stokes is on offense was way out of hand. Then at the pre-draft you read some articles suggesting the same it twists reality. It was near criminal the statement she said "they are leaving her wide open." - sure they are - from 15 feet and out --yes they were leaving her wide open. Does this make her an incompetent offensive player? No. Heck with the shooters and scorers UCONN had on this team the opposing team would have left a young Willis Reed, Dave Cowens, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kevin McHale, Karl Malone and Tim Duncan all wide open that far away. UCONN had 2 50% shooters from 3, 1 40% shooter and two elite scorers. You think they're going to worry about 15 foot jump shots from Stokes with the type of firepower we had? Please.

Then we get shoved down our throats that "she is being left wide open so she must be an awful offensive player."

Reaction Score
Not bad Kia -- double double, 5/6 on FTs in 32 minutes (more minutes than 4 starters), Liberty beat the Sky 89-81!
Double-double.

I could make her do triple doubles every game. She has that much of an upside.

I sit in the front row at Mystic games and a lady next me gave me grief cause I was yelling encouragement to Kiah when they came here. LOL!

Rookie Of The Year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I sort of laugh every time I read this type of post. This just illustrates how spoiled us UCONN fans are.

So Kiah Stokes was "the 6th man" on what is arguably one of the greatest wcbb teams of all time two years ago and this year she played comparable minutes somehow this is twisted into / implied that Geno didn't have ANY confidence in her?

So Geno randomly plays a 6th man consistently like he did two years ago even though he has no confidence, right?

There was much noise throughout Kiah's career at UConn, a lot of it emanating from Geno, that he could not "get" to Kiah; and it was well-documented that she was perennially in the doghouse (for transgressions never completely explained...we never get the practice story, just the staff's conclusions...sometimes).

One quote in particular (which I will paraphrase, too lazy to go back and find it) noted how he "loved" her off the court
and sometimes "hated her" on it.

To conclude that this was a normal (love-in) type UConn relationship between player and coach runs counter to substantial evidence.

And the change in her demeanor is what is charming so many of her fans. She has a new look about her.

We cheered her like mad (at the TV) the other night

Good on you, Kiah.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
To those who believe that Kiah should have started her last two years, please name whom exactly she should have replaced. Steph Dolson? Morgan Tuck? Both will have better pro careers than Kiah. Perhaps UConn had more star players than the Liberty.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is no good reason to look back at Kiah days at UCONN with any regret. Here father has the right perspective about het time at UCONN:

"I'm proud of her, because she said it's the hardest thing she ever had to do. Coming from Iowa, where she was the big fish, she could get away with some things because she athletically could cover it up. At Connecticut, everybody is a big fish. She had to figure out who she is as an individual and learn to fight and play hard, not just one possession, but the entire time on the court."

Kiah is doing the same thing in the WNBA- working hard.

Reaction Score
kiah has been posting up aggressively and shes probably showed more back to the basket moves in 10 games w/ Liberty than i saw her in 4 years at uconn.

Reaction Score
I am a Kiah fan. But that means accepting who she is and not blaming others (Geno) for her production or dreaming her to be someone she isn't . Last year I predicted that she would average a double-double at UConn. I quickly had to reassess and accept and appreciate her for the player she is.

She is a complementary player with exceptional defensive skill and elite athletic ability. She does not have elite offense talent or mentality. She likes to fit in. She is also a player who does not have a selfish bone in her body. That is good and bad. To be a go-to player offensively you need to be a little selfish. You need to want the ball. You need to say to yourself "I am going to score when I get the ball." And you need the skills to pull it off. Kiah's first instinct when she gets the ball is not to try a move or two to see if she can score. That's just not who she is.

If you don't think, Diana, Maya, Tina, or Stewie have a bit of a selfish mentality you are kidding yourself. Having that mentality doesn't mean you aren't a team player. In fact Diana, Maya, Tina and Stewie are exceptional team players because they also understand that to win you can't do it alone. Team concepts are also apart of their make-up. But to score consistently you have to want to, believe that you can and have the talent to do it.

If Kiah is ever to become a productive offensive player she needs to change her mentality and think about offense more than just an adjunct to her game (crashing the boards or cutting to the basket when someone else is double teamed) In my view she will never consistently post her man up in the blocks and demand the ball with the mentality that she will score. She doesn't see herself that way.

I am not sure she will ever fully make that transformation. So I continue to accept and appreciate her for who she is.

Reaction Score

I assume this is a backhanded slight at Geno. If that was your intent, I believe it is an over simplified and naïve comment. Kiah had a stellar career at UCONN and by her own admission focused on what she was comfortable doing; playing defense, rebounding and blocking shots. The fact that she is expanding her game to be more offensive minded is great and a credit to her. Blaming someone else is unnecessary.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
One quote from Kiah to add about her offensive game from the post-game presser last night
Is either a transcript or video of the presser online? Thanks.

Reaction Score
I assume this is a backhanded slight at Geno. If that was your intent, I believe it is an over simplified and naïve comment. Kiah had a stellar career at UCONN and by her own admission focused on what she was comfortable doing; playing defense, rebounding and blocking shots. The fact that she is expanding her game to be more offensive minded is great and a credit to her. Blaming someone else is unnecessary.

It was not intended to be backhanded.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I am a Kiah fan. But that means accepting who she is and not blaming others (Geno) for her production or dreaming her to be someone she isn't . Last year I predicted that she would average a double-double at UConn. I quickly had to reassess and accept and appreciate her for the player she is.

She is a complementary player with exceptional defensive skill and elite athletic ability. She does not have elite offense talent or mentality. She likes to fit in. She is also a player who does not have a selfish bone in her body. That is good and bad. To be a go-to player offensively you need to be a little selfish. You need to want the ball. You need to say to yourself "I am going to score when I get the ball." And you need the skills to pull it off. Kiah's first instinct when she gets the ball is not to try a move or two to see if she can score. That's just not who she is.

If you don't think, Diana, Maya, Tina, or Stewie have a bit of a selfish mentality you are kidding yourself. Having that mentality doesn't mean you aren't a team player. In fact Diana, Maya, Tina and Stewie are exceptional team players because they also understand that to win you can't do it alone. Team concepts are also apart of their make-up. But to score consistently you have to want to, believe that you can and have the talent to do it.

If Kiah is ever to become a productive offensive player she needs to change her mentality and think about offense more than just an adjunct to her game (crashing the boards or cutting to the basket when someone else is double teamed) In my view she will never consistently post her man up in the blocks and demand the ball with the mentality that she will score. She doesn't see herself that way.

I am not sure she will ever fully make that transformation. So I continue to accept and appreciate her for who she is.

Well said.

Reaction Score
Bill Laimbeer on the Liberty’s game plan against Elena Delle Donne:

“Our plan was to make her work for everything. We were always in her space. I thought Kiah [Stokes] did a tremendous with her length; Stokes blocked two of [Delle Donne’s] jump shots, which is unheard of for Delle Donne.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom