Stokes guarding EDD makes me smile | The Boneyard

Stokes guarding EDD makes me smile

Status
Not open for further replies.

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Not a horrible night for Kiah, with 11 pts / 10 rb / 4 ast / 2 blk / 1 to. She may not be in EDD's class as a basketball player, but she's classy enough for me. ;)

In the end, she was part of some really good Team defense. Kiah moved well on defense. EDD may have gotten hers, but she was hampered all night. Will have to look at her shooting average. Have to believe it was below normal.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
In the end, she was part of some really good Team defense. Kiah moved well on defense. EDD may have gotten hers, but she was hampered all night. Will have to look at her shooting average. Have to believe it was below normal.

EDD was 8-20, so yes, below average

Reaction Score
Kiah had 2 straight good games averaging 10ppg 7reb 2a 2.5blk 2 wins

Reaction Score
Kiah has looked more aggressive on offense since she was taken out of the starting
lineup. I think coach Bill sent a message to her to be more aggressive and start
looking for her shot. They can't play four against five and she needs to contribute
on offense. She has scored 9 and 11 in her last two games along with guarding
two of the best players in the WNBA (Ogwumike and Delle Donne).

After 10 games now in the WNBA, we are starting to see improvement on the
offensive side of the ball. She needs to keep getting to the foul line and take a
few more good shots and she will be a big help to this team. She has already
made a name for herself defensively around the league.

Today she played 32 minutes which shows the confidence the coaching staff
has in her. She is always on the floor at the end of the game. That's impressive
for a rookie in this league.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
479079122-new-york-liberty-v-chicago-sky-gettyimages.jpg

Reaction Score
She has already
made a name for herself defensively around the league.

Where did you see this or was it on TV. I would like to read any newspaper comments on Kiah, who was one of my favorites.

Reaction Score
Few players are in EDD's class as a ballplayer, but that was a nice line for Kiah. I particularly like the 4 assists.
Yes but fewer players are in Kiah's class defensively!!! Looks like Lambear really got the STEAL of this WNBA Recruiting class!! Isn't it great to see the player we cheered all year at UConn getting big results in the WNBA???

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
EDD is on a current streak of free throws of 58 in a row...yikes! She set the high school record of 80
back when....don't know if it was broken since then.

Reaction Score
Where did you see this or was it on TV. I would like to read any newspaper comments on Kiah, who was one of my favorites.
That was my own observation. I did not read it anywhere.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Success as a rookie is as much about team fit as it is skill and ability. Stokes is being asked to do what she does best...ball facilitate, screens, rebounding, and putbacks. The difference is she is asked to do this on a heightened level, as New York does not have great shooters.

Stokes is 10th among rookies in scoring, but 1st in rebounds and 1st in blocks. And she is tied for 13th among all players in rebounds per game while being 2nd in the entire WNBA in blocks per game.

And she is doing this in only 24 minutes per game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I though that Kiah would find her niche in the WNBA based upon defense, blocks and rebounding. I am excited with how things are working out for her. She may well be a far better pro than she was a college player. I'm very happy for her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The guy who said Kiah should have been taken before EW was right. It may take a few years to prove it, but I'm pretty sure.
Rebecca Lobo also said it:
“If I am a pro team, Elizabeth Williams frightens me a little because of her injury history; knees and legs, it’s a concern,” Lobo said. “In the long term, I frankly think Kiah could be a better bet.”

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82363232/

Reaction Score
In the same article Rebecca also said: “She is good enough finishing off around the basket that she should be able to score six or eight points a game,” Lobo said. “And I think she knows how to play with superstars. She knows how to impact the game without demanding [offensive] touches. …. She’s not going to be a Tina Charles-MVP type player, but she can be pretty good for a long time.”
Very prescient of her.:);)

HGN

Reaction Score
In my opinion , Stokes did a great job when you consider she is just a rookie and EDD is an accomplished pro and All-Star.

It just appears that Kiah is much more comfortable coming off the bench rather than starting for whatever reason. Hopefully she adapts to a starting role sooner than later.

Heads Up Kiah , there's much more $Money as a starter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo also said it:
“If I am a pro team, Elizabeth Williams frightens me a little because of her injury history; knees and legs, it’s a concern,” Lobo said. “In the long term, I frankly think Kiah could be a better bet.”

http://touch.courant.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-82363232/

When did EW ever have knee trouble ? She missed 2-3 games as a senior with a bum ankle... and had a foot injury that slowed her down her freshman an sophomore years. I dont recall any knee problems.

I knew this thread would start the EW vs Stokes debate ..... :rolleyes: ... and I was correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom