Stewie on benching | The Boneyard

Stewie on benching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hard to read much into a very short segment, but Stewie certainly does not seem to be her jovial self, and the fact that she thought Geno was sending her/Tuck a message while Geno claimed he was not and even told them so is also interesting.

Reaction Score
Hard to read much into a very short segment, but Stewie certainly does not seem to be her jovial self, and the fact that she thought Geno was sending her/Tuck a message while Geno claimed he was not and even told them so is also interesting.

It does seem like Stewie is distracted

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
It is a long season and doldrums can come - it has happened with nearly every team every year where for whatever reason the rhythm or flow or effort or whatever hit a little bump. And it is not unusual for it to happen either side of a 'big contest' where the focus may be more on what is coming and less on the present moment.
And Geno can call it whatever he wants but it was a 'message' being sent.

Reaction Score
She depends on the guards getting her the ball the right way. She was out of kilter for a reason...

Reaction Score
She depends on the guards getting her the ball the right way. She was out of kilter for a reason...
Stewie and Tuck's benching had nothing to do with the guards getting them the ball. It had everything to do with a perceived lack of energy and effort at tipoff (for more than one game). Your energy and effort has everything to do with you. The coach will address the guards if they are not doing their job. Stewie and Tuck control how hard they sprint during a fast break, how hard they post up or go after rebounds, how hard they dig in on defense.

One of my favorite sports quotes is from Joe DiMaggio. When asked why he ran so hard to first base on a routine ground out in a blow out win, he said "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first or last time, I owe him my best."

Gene would add "You owe your your best to your teammates and the game."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the problems associated with the AAC is the travel. Stewie had bags on her bags. Hope she had some fun and some good sleep after practice.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Geno has said for decades that playing well is not a switch that either a player or team can flip on at will. Hence the expectation is to give your best effort 100% of the time.

The last three games the team has come out at the game's start and looked like suck. That's a bad tendency and one that lessens UConn's chances of winning against a more competitive team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Had nothing to do with the situation.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The best and most surprising quote is from the end of the article.

Geno: "Nobody in history of academics or athletics has ever gotten less out of their abilities than me from the time I was in 10th grade to today. I hate when I see it in other people and I am going to prevent it to the best of my ability."

As usual for him, this is at least an exaggeration. But it may be somewhat accurate from the standpoint of academics and personal athletic performance (as opposed to coaching athletes, where he has clearly made the most of his abilities). He probably could have been a better student and a better basketball player if he had had a "Coach Auriemma" to bench him when he mailed it in (which he says he did rather frequently, maybe even typically), while also showing him how to do the right thing instead.

Reaction Score
I didn't read it that way. I don't think her response could have been any better. She put the blame squarely on her shoulders, very mature on her part.

I meant distracted during her playing time during the last game. Not in that interview. I agree with your post she took blame and is very mature.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Like Diana said; "He is going to sleep well tonight; you aren't." Or words to that effect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One of the problems associated with the AAC is the travel. Stewie had bags on her bags. Hope she had some fun and some good sleep after practice.
This.

Think money is the only issue with the AAC? Think again. The travel is horrendous and , especially for the women, the opponents are...uninspiring. College basketball is long season and playing in the AAC has a multiplier effect on the draining aspects of it. The sooner we are out of here the better. Unfortunately, it might be a long time before that happens.

Reaction Score
The best and most surprising quote is from the end of the article.

Geno: "Nobody in history of academics or athletics has ever gotten less out of their abilities than me from the time I was in 10th grade to today. I hate when I see it in other people and I am going to prevent it to the best of my ability."

As usual for him, this is at least an exaggeration. But it may be somewhat accurate from the standpoint of academics and personal athletic performance (as opposed to coaching athletes, where he has clearly made the most of his abilities). He probably could have been a better student and a better basketball player if he had had a "Coach Auriemma" to bench him when he mailed it in (which he says he did rather frequently, maybe even typically), while also showing him how to do the right thing instead.
The Geno quote is pretty much how I perceive Brianna. Basically, in discussing the best players in the game, last year or this year, you always mention her along with the usual suspects from other schools. But I think, that unlike the other players, who are achieving their greatness playing at about 95% of their potential, Brianna is in the conversation while playing about 70% of her abilities. IMHO of course. This is what is so frustrating, I think, for Geno. There is so much more she is capable of. I don't know exactly what ticked off Geno for the benching, but I think it had to be an accumulation of things, not just her 5 minute contribution to the Memphis game. I trust both Geno and BS, MT and KS will make the best of it going forward.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
In the clip accompanying Fuller's story? You have to be kidding.
She was extremely emotional and embarrassed- and that isn't a knock on Stewie by any stretch. That's the way I saw it. She was a monster last night! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom