Stewie and Geno Headed To Spain, Italy, and Czech Republic Next Week | The Boneyard

Stewie and Geno Headed To Spain, Italy, and Czech Republic Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart’s summer schedule since the end of her freshman year at Cicero-North Syracuse High has included playing for USA Basketball.

“It was busy, but then again it wasn’t,” Stewart said. “I played USA Basketball but then I had the opportunity to go home and enjoy my family for a month, which usually doesn’t happen. It gave me a chance to recover and get ready for a new season.”

For the past month, she’s been here with the Huskies taking part in preseason workouts. But USA Basketball is calling again. She’s expected to take part in a 10-day European tour starting next week that will take coach Geno Auriemma and a group of senior national team pool players to Spain, Italy, and the Czech Republic for four games.

[MORE]

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
There are going to be some very likely Olympic team members who will be missing this trip....they will be participatingin the WNBA
playoffs. I wonder though: will Dee be with Geno? I am sure that her Phoenix teammates have understood her decision to take a needed breather
this past season given the money the elite players can earn overseas. Are all of them happy about going against Minny without her?
Doubtful. Would going overseas now for these exhibition games irritate a few....privately if not publicly?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Blake - I doubt it. Foreign players are always leaving teams for national commitments so everyone has seen it before. And I think in general the players are much more tuned in to everything that goes into being a pro and the stresses that puts on each of them. Phoenix fans might be a little more likely to be upset - but I think there to, the fan base appreciates the sacrifices the women's players make.

Glad to finally hear about the fall training period. I figured it would be happening during this timeframe but had yet to see anything published. USA basketball still has nothing on the site about it - no schedule, no list of who might be participating. Wonder if there was any thought of inviting Moriah. With MN, PH, IND, and NY all participating in the semis the list of pool members still playing is huge:
Tina; Catch and January; Griner, Bonner and Dupree; and Maya, Seimone, Sylvia, and Lindsay - plus possible a few others. Depending when they leave all four team's players will not be available. That represents 67% of the last National team.

Reaction Score
By the time they depart for the tour next week, only two teams will be left to play for the championship. Not really 67% at most 40% if MN is still in there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
By the time they depart for the tour next week, only two teams will be left to play for the championship. Not really 67% at most 40% if MN is still in there.
When do they depart? If the conference finals go three games then departure before say Thursday would exclude four teams unless the players travel by themselves.

Reaction Score
Conference finals could end tomorrow. If they go for the full three games, then should end Tuesday 29th.

Reaction Score
Two really super Stewie quotes on winning four, from the Adamec article:

“I think it’s something that is going to motivate us even more, make sure we are ultra-focused whether it’s individuals, practice or pickups. To do something that no one has ever done before, we’re going to have to work harder than anyone has ever worked before.”

“We know this is going to be probably the hardest year we’ve had,” Stewart said. “No one wants to see us do this besides us, and with that it brings out the competitive fire in all of us. We want to prove everyone wrong and show everyone that whether you want us to do it or not, we’re going to do it.”

You tell 'em, Stewie.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
we’re going to have to work harder than anyone has ever worked before.”
whether you want us to do it or not, we’re going to do it.”
You tell 'em, Stewie.

Spoken like a true badass! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online