Steve Enoch!! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Steve Enoch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Correct, I can't argue with that play or that particular game he was good. But you can say that Phil Nolan had more or equal impact and I believe, if memory serves me correct, was the "starter" for most of the tourney?

Nolan was the started because Ollie didn't want Brimah's to pick up early fouls.

Reaction Score
Correct, I can't argue with that play or that particular game he was good. But you can say that Phil Nolan had more or equal impact and I believe, if memory serves me correct, was the "starter" for most of the tourney?
Nolan started every game but pretty much went to the safety of the bench at the first opportunity. Only to return after AB had two fouls
KO was concerned with AB picking up early quick fouls.
KO's starting team is more strategical then anything else.
Good coach's are coaching the later first half or even the second half before the opening tip.
I said before I would like to see him pick up some additional ORB this year
The way we play him puts him in awful DRB position ,he is a free safety on D
His best contribution there is to box when possible.
Championships are won by teams ,individual stats can be meaningful but contribution to the overall effort is equally so.
Let me give you a simple example . You will acknowledge that AB's quickness allow him to get to the hoop for a slam. His man has to stay with him to defend that play.
A penetrating guard gets an uncontested 15 footer because of that.
It's not an assist,RB ,or Score but because of that aspect of his game your team is better.

Reaction Score
Nolan started every game but pretty much went to the safety of the bench at the first opportunity. Only to return after AB had two fouls
Good coach's are coaching the later first half or even the second half before the opening tip.
Championships are won by teams ,individual stats can be meaningful but contribution to the overall effort is equally so.
Let me give you a simple example . You will acknowledge that AB's quickness allow him to get to the hoop for a slam. His man has to stay with him to defend that play.
It's not an assist,RB ,or Score but because of that aspect of his game your team is better.

You give him too much credit but I respect that. No matter, 6+/4+/2+ your junior year from him is not good enough and it's not the impact required to make this a true contender. Paint it and toss it around anyway you want AZ he needs to bring more and we can only hope it's there.

It's also important to be able to throw the ball inside to your 5 to create space but they don't so there is none when he has a shooter on his side. This negates the space he allows when the occasional alley oops is available.
Also nice to actually get a jump hook to the rim instead of leaving it short constantly then maybe we can get a weak side offensive rebound.
It's also important to jump to a rebound when it's obviously yours and close to your hands but you let someone else take it because you never leave the ground.
It's very important to be able to body and guard a big on the low block instead of getting blown out of the play.

Listen I respect what you're saying but many here understand he's developed very little since that 3 point play against St Joes. He does some really good things, then not so good. For now he is what he is. If he somehow comes back his senior year and gets it, I know UConn will be a much better team for it. And I know I am and will root for the guy, I'm just realistic for now.

Reaction Score
Nolan was the started because Ollie didn't want Brimah's to pick up early fouls.

He played some huge minutes in the big games vs Mich St, UK and UF too let's not forget that. Phil was kind of the same after that, we all hoped maybe he and AB would be a real nice 1-2 the next 2 years. AB actually showed some improvement as a soph and Phil pretty much played out his career as a defense only guy except a game or 2 when he made a couple lay ups or put backs.

Reaction Score
In our NCAA tourney game against Kansas, Brimah and Facey combined for 4 points and 2 rebounds. They certainly don't get the total blame as Miller had his worst game but their defense lacked too. Until proven otherwise we had and still have a need there.

Reaction Score
He's gone up exactly 2.4 per game in points, 1.6 in boards and .4 in blocks. I think he's just stating he needs to finally take that leap expected from a talented guy who thus far has taken tiny baby steps in his first 3 years. Good to still have him on the team no doubting that, but would be nice to see a better player at some point.
He has been voted the best defensive player in the conference, criticizing him is like getting on Wade Boggs for not hitting homers when he's banging out 200 hits a year.

Reaction Score
He has been voted the best defensive player in the conference, criticizing him is like getting on Wade Boggs for not hitting homers when he's banging out 200 hits a year.

You used that one already I believe or you stole it. I won't call you "stupid" like others as all we are at this point is disagreeing, I respect your thoughts. Funny the same people who voted him BDP probably didn't even consider him this past year as his numbers went backwards. And by the way he wasn't even the best defensive player on his team that year so what they look for I have no idea. Listen I get what you guys want and are trying to see, but I hope that guy you believe is impacting this team they way you see it actually does show up for his senior year.

Reaction Score
Yeah but we won a NC with him not because of him. You can argue that his 3 point play was huge and it was, but he did very little besides that also. But he was a freshman so how much did we expect? I thought he did fine considering where he came from, HS rankings etc etc.. But since then, hardly a difference.

My point is the fact he hasn't improved is one of the reasons we are still waiting for another special season, not the only reason though. Not pinning it on him at all but a big jump in the middle could propel this team to a special season. Need to be able to dump it in there to assist the perimeter game and someone needs to step up.
We won a NCC with Alex Oriaki too. Brimah needs to rebound and defend his man.

Reaction Score

Is it "the way we play him" though or the way HE plays that puts him out of position for so many defensive rebounds? Brimah needs to learn when trying to block a shot and when holding his ground and being ready to rebound is the better strategy. He possesses a great skill to block shots but his desire to try to block everything in site has often hurt the team. Let's hope this is the year he finally understands the delicate balance.

Reaction Score
and now it's another Brimah thread for no reason. smh

It's just hoops talk which begins a positive spin for Enoch and then the naysayers start their stuff, then he won't take any minutes from AB and here are. It's all good I mean we're dying for some news to begin some "new" discussions but it's not quite here. But we're 2 months from "captains runs" and under 3 months for official practice so it's itchy time!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I don't think this is a good analogy. Wade Boggs like Pete Rose were contact hitters, mainly batted at the top (1 or two) and were expected to set the table. They were not cleanup hitters. I don't think AB was expected to be a table setter (point guard or point forward) as a 5. Surely he was expected to rebound and defend his man. He is an exceptional athlete but has never been able to develop the skills that a 5 is expected to have and shot blocking (admittedly a great skill) aside, he has a lot of liabilities.
Always wishing him the best at improving because, like Facey, he has a lot of heart. I am sure that KO is well aware his shortcomings and works tirelessly to help in every way
he can. I think all UConn fans are rooting for him and wish him the best at UConn and in the future where he may be able to make a fine living with those talents if he can develop them.

Reaction Score
If Enoch can just body straight up on defense without reaching in and hold his man with that big body, that can very well be good enough defensively. He had a tendency to foul on help rotations and that was something that I thought AB did very well. I like those numbers he posted.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In our NCAA tourney game against Kansas, Brimah and Facey combined for 4 points and 2 rebounds. They certainly don't get the total blame as Miller had his worst game but their defense lacked too. Until proven otherwise we had and still have a need there.

Did you see Kansas' front line? About eight 35+ year old men in there.

Reaction Score
Ellis and Mason were 22 and Seldon was 21, but didn't we have 2 fifth year players ourselves, and Rodney was a 4th year junior? Their front line was not taller than ours but they certainly were stronger, more solid and skilled.

Reaction Score
Had 23 and 16 today shooting 10-15. Very strong finish to the tournament.

Overall... good average for entire tourney
Strong finish for Enoch

Steven Enoch put a nice cap on his excursion to Greece Sunday.

The UConn center had 23 points and 16 rebounds as Armenia beat Bulgaria 65-61 in its final game as part of the U20 European Championships in Chalkida, Greece.

The 6-foot-10 Enoch was 10-of-15 from the field in the victory.

In six games in the tournament Enoch averaged 17.3 points and 15.2 rebounds

Reaction Score
Overall... good average for entire tourney
Strong finish for Enoch

Steven Enoch put a nice cap on his excursion to Greece Sunday.

The UConn center had 23 points and 16 rebounds as Armenia beat Bulgaria 65-61 in its final game as part of the U20 European Championships in Chalkida, Greece.

The 6-foot-10 Enoch was 10-of-15 from the field in the victory.

In six games in the tournament Enoch averaged 17.3 points and 15.2 rebounds

17.3 and 15.2, that's it? Anyone could have done that:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member