Steve Enoch Armenian highlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Does the Armenian National Team develop bigs better than we do? :eek:

Reaction Score
The 2nd play, the play at about 0:45, and at about 0:59 looked like a small forward !

I wish we could also have a "lowlight" tape to see his development this summer in total....but he certainly showed some moves we hadnt seen before.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He's a special prospect.

6'10, 250, seemingly long arms, athletic(quickness, vertical, overall explosiveness), jump shot, touch.

If he puts it all together he should be a lottery pick someday. I believe he will.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He's a special prospect.

6'10, 250, seemingly long arms, athletic(quickness, vertical, overall explosiveness), jump shot, touch.
See, I think that's his biggest drawback. He's a smooth and controlled athlete with really superb body control, but he's not quick laterally or off the floor, which is why his rebounding & blocked shot numbers were so low.

Hopefully that will come as he gets a little older, and hopefully he can make up for some of his physical shortcomings by playing smarter as he gets more minutes.

He definitely seems to have a lot of NBA-level gifts, though, and I can't wait to see what the next two seasons bring.

Reaction Score
He's a special prospect.

If he puts it all together he should be a lottery pick someday. I believe he will.

He's just gotta play better defense so he can actually see the court. If he can become an average defender he'll get a lot of minutes due to his versatility on offense.

Reaction Score
He's a special prospect.

His coach at STM said that his wingspan was 7'3, which would be exceptional.

And regarding his quickness elevating and lateral speed... It is hard to tell at this point in his development because he is both so young, and one of his shortcomings is conditioning. At STM he was not able to stay on the floor because of his motor.

Or maybe his lack of bball IQ impacted his ability to commit to hard lateral and vertical moves. We saw so little of him I'm not comfortable making much of an assessment either way. I just know Ollie has been really targeting athletic bigs recently.

If he is a better conditioned athlete maybe we can see better defense and rebounding numbers from him.

If Steve is so inept defensively, how was he ranked top 100? Was it the few performances at camps we saw? Or was it his more imposing offensive skill set and his measurements? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
His coach at STM said that his wingspan was 7'3, which would be exceptional.

And regarding his quickness elevating and lateral speed... It is hard to tell at this point in his development because he is both so young, and one of his shortcomings is conditioning. At STM he was not able to stay on the floor because of his motor.

Or maybe his lack of bball IQ impacted his ability to commit to hard lateral and vertical moves. We saw so little of him I'm not comfortable making much of an assessment either way. I just know Ollie has been really targeting athletic bigs recently.

If he is a better conditioned athlete maybe we can see better defense and rebounding numbers from him.

If Steve is so inept defensively, how was he ranked top 100? Was it the few performances at camps we saw? Or was it his more imposing offensive skill set and his measurements? Just wondering.

Pretty big difference playing team D in college basketball compared to AAU camps, which is where Enoch first took off in the rankings the spring/summer before his senior year. I doubt AAU coaches are asking their bigs to hedge high defending ball handlers while recovering fast enough to get back in the lane and defend the paint, or handle defensive responsibilities in ICE coverage while defending the pick and roll. There's more to D than just guarding your man or helping weakside at the college and pro levels.

Reaction Score
I'm the first guy to praise Enoch, and his jumper does look pretty polished in this highlight reel, but it appears he's playing some serious scrubs in this video that have no defensive intensity whatsoever. Love his combo of size, finesse, athleticism, strength, and shooting ability....but he knows as well as we do it's gonna be another level of intensity and ability come November/December.

Reaction Score
I'm the first guy to praise Enoch, and his jumper does look pretty polished in this highlight reel, but it appears he's playing some serious scrubs in this video that have no defensive intensity whatsoever. Love his combo of size, finesse, athleticism, strength, and shooting ability....but he knows as well as we do it's gonna be another level of intensity and ability come November/December.

He has the intensity and the ability we all know that, but as Matrim pointed to above the lateral quickness, footwork needs to get better. Last year people went by him like he was a chair at times, if he wants to be on the floor that needs to change. If he doesn't get quicker then he can improve by being smarter and giving space to make up for it and reading plays faster but something needs to give. It would be good for the Huskies if he figures it out though because there is some real good stuff there.

Reaction Score
Steve looks to be a foot taller and 50 lbs. heavier than his opponents but still, his shot and touch look impressive. His greatest value for us will be rebounding if he can become a force inside. He has a great upside considering he was only 18 last season.

Reaction Score
Pretty big difference playing team D in college basketball compared to AAU camps, which is where Enoch first took off in the rankings the spring/summer before his senior year. I doubt AAU coaches are asking their bigs to hedge high defending ball handlers while recovering fast enough to get back in the lane and defend the paint, or handle defensive responsibilities in ICE coverage while defending the pick and roll. There's more to D than just guarding your man or helping weakside at the college and pro levels.

Ahhh the old AAU coaches.... I coach a 13u and 16u team and they've certainly told to do that. If ur Aau team isn't going over pick n roll coverage prolly want a new team.

Enoch has so much potential just a matter of when it all comes together. Just turned 19 he's the same age as most of these freshman coming in now a days.

Reaction Score
Steve looks to be a foot taller and 50 lbs. heavier than his opponents but still, his shot and touch look impressive. His greatest value for us will be rebounding if he can become a force inside. He has a great upside considering he was only 18 last season.

I for one am very excited about the team. I think we have plenty of options scoring wise. If there is one big question mark its gotta be rebounding. I think SE can be a big part of that solution. He showed flashes last yr, just needed more time on the court out of foul trouble. My money is on SE

Reaction Score
Ahhh the old AAU coaches.... I coach a 13u and 16u team and they've certainly told to do that. If ur Aau team isn't going over pick n roll coverage prolly want a new team.

Enoch has so much potential just a matter of when it all comes together. Just turned 19 he's the same age as most of these freshman coming in now a days.

Nobody's blaming AAU coaches so there's no need for you to catch feelings, here's an e-hug if you need one, the overall point is that I'm pretty sure KO is rolling out a much more sophisticated defensive scheme than whatever you are going over at practice with 13 year olds while coaching the Bingo All-Stars. Hell, when Drummond got to the NBA there was an SI article that talked about how he struggled with defensive terminology and schemes so things can get even more sophisticated going from the college to the NBA level. Given that Enoch went from relatively unknown to playing prep school at one of the best prep leagues in the country and then to UConn in a relatively short time its not surprising that he was a step behind defensively, I expect him to be fine with more experience.

Reaction Score
He already had an offense to work with and was more advanced than Phil last year.

Sorry but for this fan I just want to see the defensive highlights. That would excite me more than putbacks, layups, dunks and turnarounds on display here.

What good is his offense if he can't stay on the floor?

Reaction Score
Nobody's blaming AAU coaches so there's no need for you to catch feelings, here's an e-hug if you need one, the overall point is that I'm pretty sure KO is rolling out a much more sophisticated defensive scheme than whatever you are going over at practice with 13 year olds while coaching the Bingo All-Stars. Hell, when Drummond got to the NBA there was an SI article that talked about how he struggled with defensive terminology and schemes so things can get even more sophisticated going from the college to the NBA level. Given that Enoch went from relatively unknown to playing prep school at one of the best prep leagues in the country and then to UConn in a relatively short time its not surprising that he was a step behind defensively, I expect him to be fine with more experience.

My defensive scheme with the 13u all stars is incredible complicated. I can't even get my 6'10 center in cause he can't hedge the ball screen on the 4'11 guards. It's frustrating man.

Wasn't affended by ur post. Just the whole Aau thing is kinda played out. Enoch is behind cause he started playing seriously late. He played for a smaller AAU team normally those actually practice and have solid coaching.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Smooth lookin jumper for a big guy. Really nice handle too, that surprised me at his size. I know he won't be doing a lot of that for us this year, but, man... the kid has tremendous upside, hopefully he can start to realize it sooner than later.

Reaction Score
My defensive scheme with the 13u all stars is incredible complicated. I can't even get my 6'10 center in cause he can't hedge the ball screen on the 4'11 guards. It's frustrating man.

Wasn't affended by ur post. Just the whole Aau thing is kinda played out. Enoch is behind cause he started playing seriously late. He played for a smaller AAU team normally those actually practice and have solid coaching.

1. You have a 13-year-old at 6'10??

2. Is it really beneficial for the 6'10 kids development to be sitting because he's struggling with ball screens? I'm not saying you're wrong, that just surprises me.

3. How early is too early to be introducing complicated schemes? I played with some high level teams (which shouldn't be confused with me being good) and I never heard the word hedge until I was almost 15.

Reaction Score
1. You have a 13-year-old at 6'10??

2. Is it really beneficial for the 6'10 kids development to be sitting because he's struggling with ball screens? I'm not saying you're wrong, that just surprises me.

3. How early is too early to be introducing complicated schemes? I played with some high level teams (which shouldn't be confused with me being good) and I never heard the word hedge until I was almost 15.

Sarcasm. Lol.

Reaction Score
See, I think that's his biggest drawback. He's a smooth and controlled athlete with really superb body control, but he's not quick laterally or off the floor, which is why his rebounding & blocked shot numbers were so low.

Hopefully that will come as he gets a little older, and hopefully he can make up for some of his physical shortcomings by playing smarter as he gets more minutes.

He definitely seems to have a lot of NBA-level gifts, though, and I can't wait to see what the next two seasons bring.

I agree. And I'm worried this will affect his defensive rotations more than anything. He's demonstrated that he can score in plenty of ways that don't require quickness and beating his defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom