Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Stephanie Mavunga granted release to transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least Ohio State is an...interesting...choice. But Kentucky? Sorry, but they've been overhyped and overrated, IMHO. Kentucky is in better shape with upperclassmen, but I think UNC's incoming class will have a big impact. I doubt either KU or UNC would make a Final 4 even with Mavunga, so it's not much better than a lateral move. Seems like she's not in a rush to play in the WNBA. It's possible she'd like a master's degree on scholarship so getting a 5th year paid for is an incentive. But if that was my plan, I'd probably pursue a better school academically, if I were loading up on free degrees. Usually kids transfer up (for a better shot at Final 4/Championships, etc.) or transfer down (for more playing time). But again, Kentucky feels a bit too lateral.

Obviously Ohio State probably won't win a national championship or maybe not even a Final 4 even with Mavunga. But I personally can just see the allure of joining a program that's "hot" and on the rise, with tons of potential. A lineup of Kelsey Mitchell, Sierra Calhoun, Alexa Hart, Stephanie Mavunga, then either the other Duke transfer or the Georgetown transfer, would be dangerous. Kentucky has more depth, but Ohio State would definitely have more fire power in terms of their starters.

At the end of the day, I think she's got boatloads of potential and will make a good pro regardless. Would rather see what she could do at Ohio State, but I know I'm overlooking a bunch of other factors including non-basketball ones, which are important. I guess I feel a bit guilty for being so critical here, lol, so I just wanna emphasize that I wish Mavunga the best.

And I do think the statement she gave upon leaving UNC left me with the impression that she's a classy, intelligent, appreciative, and sincere young woman.

Reaction Score
At least Ohio State is an...interesting...choice. But Kentucky? Sorry, but they've been overhyped and overrated, IMHO. Kentucky is in better shape with upperclassmen, but I think UNC's incoming class will have a big impact. I doubt either KU or UNC would make a Final 4 even with Mavunga, so it's not much better than a lateral move. Seems like she's not in a rush to play in the WNBA. It's possible she'd like a master's degree on scholarship so getting a 5th year paid for is an incentive. But if that was my plan, I'd probably pursue a better school academically, if I were loading up on free degrees. Usually kids transfer up (for a better shot at Final 4/Championships, etc.) or transfer down (for more playing time). But again, Kentucky feels a bit too lateral.

Obviously Ohio State probably won't win a national championship or maybe not even a Final 4 even with Mavunga. But I personally can just see the allure of joining a program that's "hot" and on the rise, with tons of potential. A lineup of Kelsey Mitchell, Sierra Calhoun, Alexa Hart, Stephanie Mavunga, then either the other Duke transfer or the Georgetown transfer, would be dangerous. Kentucky has more depth, but Ohio State would definitely have more fire power in terms of their starters.

At the end of the day, I think she's got boatloads of potential and will make a good pro regardless. Would rather see what she could do at Ohio State, but I know I'm overlooking a bunch of other factors including non-basketball ones, which are important. I guess I feel a bit guilty for being so critical here, lol, so I just wanna emphasize that I wish Mavunga the best.

And I do think the statement she gave upon leaving UNC left me with the impression that she's a classy, intelligent, appreciative, and sincere young woman.
Probably she'll want to stay in the conference that her friends are in and will get to see them again and play against them. Also Kentucky is a strong team. They are scrappy and she fits that mold. She'd probably would rather be at SC but it just doesn't look possible.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Probably she'll want to stay in the conference that her friends are in and will get to see them again and play against them. Also Kentucky is a strong team. They are scrappy and she fits that mold. She'd probably would rather be at SC but it just doesn't look possible.

Which is why I feel like she'll end up at Kentucky... She fits that mold. Aggressive, overly physical, annoying..

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This may have been answered elsewhere but when a student-athlete is granted release to transfer does that official severe ties with their previous team, or does it merely give them the opportunity to explore and the chance to return?

BuckLucas

Bucks Are The Crux
Reaction Score
I say explore but neither are tied to each other at this point....

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
HuskyFan1125 said:
I thought about that but SC has so much size already I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe B1G since she is from Indiana. Maybe Ohio State!?

I may have been right. Some chirping that it will be Ohio State.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nothing, I repeat NOTHING has been stranger than Lexie Brown leaving Maryland for Duke.... Im still chuckling about that one :p
Triad & ACC WCBB fans or redshirt experts do you know what the situation is with X redshirt wise? I have not been able to read anything definitive if she is eligible for a redhsirt. She played in 12 of 35 games before the injury last year. Stamfordhusky if you are out there you usually have the best handle on these redshirt situations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Triad & ACC WCBB fans or redshirt experts do you know what the situation is with X redshirt wise? I have not been able to read anything definitive if she is eligible for a redhsirt. She played in 12 of 35 games before the injury last year. Stamfordhusky if you are out there you usually have the best handle on these redshirt situations.
I assume you're talking about Xylina McDaniel? UNC played 35 games, but the 3 NCAA tournament games don't figure into the calculation, and the ACC tournament counts as 1 game. So that's 31. 12 out of 31 amounts to 38.7%, which is over the 30% limit for a medical redshirt, making her ineligible for one.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Stranger things have happened, especially this off season.

I thought it was strange when Gray came to SC. Those two teams DO NOT like one another.. The last 3 or 4 games vs. UNC have been testy. Mavunga was heated with SC after the NCAAT lost. I never believed that Mavunga wanted to come to SC...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I thought it was strange when Gray came to SC. Those two teams DO NOT like one another.. The last 3 or 4 games vs. UNC have been testy. Mavunga was heated with SC after the NCAAT lost. I never believed that Mavunga wanted to come to SC...

I think Mavunga is heated after every loss ;) Perfect example of a player who its easy to root against, but if she was on your team.. you'd love her to death. I kinda hope she ends up at Kentucky... that would give the SEC 3 strong teams...... but if she ended up at Ohio State..... that wouldnt be too bad either.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
Not that I think she will end up here, she is currently in Knoxville visiting.

I'm honestly shocked by this.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not that I think she will end up here, she is currently in Knoxville visiting.

I'm honestly shocked by this.

Now that's funny. You mean that ol' "salty" shrew Sylvia didn't block her?

No fan base can turn up the outrage machine quite like LV fans, even when the outrage is over not being able to benefit from another's misfortune.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score

No fan base can turn up the outrage machine quite like LV fans, even when the outrage is over not being able to benefit from another's misfortune.

I never said she was blocked. I said Gray was, because she was. Mavunga was given an unconditional release. This wasn't a planned visit either, it literally just happened.

Not sure where you're getting an outrage feel.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mavunga is visiting Knoxville according to a tweet. Tweet also said she is thought to be a Ohio State lean

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Self -inflicted destruction of a program from years of academic fraud is hardly misfortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom