Status of Champions Center | The Boneyard

Status of Champions Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It appears (by viewing construction cam) that exterior work is nearly finished. Still need sod and plantings.

On the men's board is a month-old photo of one of the gyms. Looks beautiful and useable.

Bids for "exhibit fabricator services" were opened on June 16 and bids ranged from $2.4M to $3.9M. Work will take 6-8 months. Bid specs not to be disclosed until project completion.

My best guess is that they will soon start using the facilities but displays (trophies, etc.) will take several months.

Anyone have anything better?

(Don't all raise your hands at once.):rolleyes:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
What are "exhibit fabricator services"? For $4MN?

HGN

Reaction Score
What are "exhibit fabricator services"? For $4MN?
Sounds like a bunch of trophy cases and Hall of Fame exhibits....But don't hold me to it.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
HGN said:
Sounds like a bunch of trophy cases and Hall of Fame exhibits....But don't hold me to it.
to the Champions Center? That would be tedious and time consuming...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maybe I am missing something and I keep looking for any one of our red hot journalists to make some inquiries or enlighten us about what's going on -- or when it's going on.

The UConn web site states clearly that the target completion date is May 2014. More recently, AD Warde Manuel was quoted by a writer as stating that the Champions Center would be "done" in a couple weeks (my recollection) and he said that in June.

Now we know that bids for "exhibit fabricator services" were not opened until June 16 and that the projection for work completion is at least six months, possibly eight if done in two phases (and, FWIW, I understand the bids were $2.4M to $3.9M).

We don't know exactly what the scope of this work entails because all bidders signed a non-disclosure statement before bidding. Which means they know, but we don't.

We can only guess that this work has something to do with the "Halls of Fame" displays that are depicted in the virtual tours, and that this work will take place even after the offices, practice courts, and other amenities are operable.

And we can look at the construction cam and see that outside work continues -- and, again, guess when it will be completed. Precious little info is available about the status of the interior.

I think it's time for one of The Horde to knock on Mr. Manuel's door and ask a few questions. Am I delusional in thinking this is newsworthy?

Or maybe I am just missing something.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...We can only guess...
-Yes, Sir. And I think we’ll always be in that position until they announce the date for any opening ceremony because… As a layman, my impression is building projects are ultimately event-driven, not calendar-driven. That is, while contracts may quite properly contain incentives and penalties regarding schedule, that only mitigates the typical cascading effect of schedule delays, caused each time a sub-contractor or supplier does not execute within their assigned portion of the project’s (‘critical path’) timeline. So…

...knock on Mr. Manuel's door...
-Not me – that guy looks like he could bench-press my car. Actually, I think we’re really lucky to have him as our AD. But no matter what anybody estimates (e.g, Prime contractor, Govt Contracting Officer, Contracting Officer’s technical rep in charge of construction,.. much less an AD, coach, public affairs spokesperson, etc...), it’s still just an estimate that will certainly change… because, again, its ultimately event driven, not paper-schedule driven.

...and ask a few questions...
-The Basketball Champions Center is not just a good-news story; it’s a great news story. It’s not in UConn’s interest to change that. And I submit that could indeed change, if they made the mistake of providing frequent updates, unintentionally turning a good story now, into newspaper handwringing over each week’s minor update on routine target completion delays… every time a contractor, sub-contractor, or supplier takes longer than originally projected on a master schedule (not to mention when the customer buys new desired mods to the contract). UConn doesn't need that. Personally, I think UConn’s done a great job by providing a live camera since Day 1.

...maybe I am just missing something...
-I don’t think so. And I know I haven’t said anything above you did not already know; it’s just my rationale for...
-My point is (thanks for inviting such opinion) I for one, just look at it differently. I try not to worry about the stuff I can’t influence, and I don’t believe I influence this in a good way by asking the Horde to jump on this, because, (1) it will not influence the project completion date, (2) I want my University to carefully take its time ensuring everything is inspected and performed completely to their satisfaction, without now feeling any unnecessary time-pressure generated by the press, etc, (3) nor will any date likely be absolutely firm, (4) they will certainly announce when UConn’s formal opening is, and (5) unless the project slides into December, it wouldn't seem like much of a story to me (Just my 2 cents).

...Am I delusional... .
-Actually, now that you…. hey, wait a second. Aren't you our Alpha pyro-guy who keeps posting on our Grilling threads… the guy who owns some kind of turbo-charged, fuel-injected Weber Mega Grill with heat seeking thermocouples???!!
- I refuse to answer your question, on the grounds it might tend to incinerate me! :eek:

...........................................Worrying is like rocking in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere" - Ziggy

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
OK, Arty, I concede the point of your comprehensive analysis of the Champions Center progress or likely reasons for delays. I defer to your knowledge of contractual work, how things get slowed, and reasons to keep the lid on the news.

Except for two little items.

One is that traditionally one of the biggest reasons for delays or cost overruns, or both, is "change in scope" of work to be performed. Bet that as work progressed that fellows like Geno and Kevin identified something that the architects overlooked or didn't provide for. Happens all the time. (One example: look at what is being done (construction cam) vs. the renderings of what was envisioned (virtual tour).

Two, AD Manuel is a very smart guy. OK, maybe not smart enough to convince the Big Ten that the New England TV audience for college football exceeds that of the midwest (including Rutgers and Maryland). But smart.

So why did he drop that quotable comment to the effect that the place was about ready to fling its doors open in June? He should have seen that question (when?) coming and hit it outta the park. Something like: "The Champions Center will be the finest facility of its kind anywhere, suitable for use by our championship basketball teams. It's being built thanks to the generosity of our donors and full support from the UConn community. Work has progressed throughout our recent difficult winter {a non-excuse excuse if I ever heard one) and I expect to announce the day of the ribbon-cutting to mark this historic event soon."

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller @NHRJimFuller · Jun 18
#UConn AD Warde Manuel said basketball practice facility will be done either this week or next week

Kib, thanks for the reply. – I have to agree with both your points:

1. I dug up that 18 June Jim Fuller Tweet again, above; OK, I understand exactly what you've been saying all along now, particularly recommending something akin to: ' I expect to announce the day of the ribbon-cutting to mark this historic event soon.'

2. Gotta agree you’re also so right about those contract modifications ‘adding new scope,’ including basic stuff unintentionally overlooked in an original contract. Seems like, whether its sniper scopes or contract scopes, as my former Battalion Commander would say, "You never get what you expect, you get what you inspect."

Reaction Score
The Basketball Champions Center is not just a good-news story; it’s a great news story. It’s not in UConn’s interest to change that. And I submit that could indeed change, if they made the mistake of providing frequent updates, unintentionally turning a good story now, into newspaper handwringing over each week’s minor update on routine target completion delays… every time a contractor, sub-contractor, or supplier takes longer than originally projected on a master schedule (not to mention when the customer buys new desired mods to the contract). UConn doesn't need that. Personally, I think UConn’s done a great job by providing a live camera since Day 1.
Supurb post Arty. Just wanted to add that I wouldn't worry too much about inquisitive reporters turning a great story into a good one, or even worse. Once the building is opened the oohs and aahs will make everyone quickly forget this nano-second delay.

I lived in Sydney when their iconic Opera House was being built. I've long forgotten the details of that project but it overran its original projections not but a few percentage points, or even a few dozen but full multiples, coming in hundreds of millions of (Aussie) dollars over budget and years late. If you were conscious in the early 1970s, you may even have heard the howls here. Now every knows it as one of the most recognizable buildings in the world. Even if the Champions Center opens in December, by September 2015, few will remember this summer and no one will care.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RegisteredUconn said:
I lived in Sydney when their iconic Opera House was being built. I've long forgotten the details of that project but it overran its original projections not but a few percentage points, or even a few dozen but full multiples, coming in hundreds of millions of (Aussie) dollars over budget and years late.
If you were conscious in the early 1970s, you may even have heard the howls here...

howls?? Are you sure it wasn't some tenor warming up? :-P

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
howls?? Are you sure it wasn't some tenor warming up? :-P

OK, slow day, so why not a little levity (operatic Tenor joke).

Guy goes to the opera for the first time. Overture. Chorus. Little solos. Then the star tenor steps forward and does a long solo (big aria). When he concludes, he awaits audience applause, but when it comes, it is tepid. But one fellow (seated near our subject), shouts, "Encore! Encore!" whereupon the tenor smiles and nods to the conductor. The orchestra begins playing and the tenor sings the same aria, this time to a fidgety audience. He finishes. No applause. A few boos, hisses and catcalls.

Same guy shouts again, "ENCORE! ENCORE!" Our subject asks, "Why are you insisting that this tenor sing that piece again when the audience seems so displeased with his performance?":rolleyes:

Response: "I'm going to make that SOB keep singing it until he gets it right!":mad:

(HINT: Use this one to rationalize the reelection of any politician (either party) to public office.)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
OK, slow day, so why not a little levity (operatic Tenor joke).

Guy goes to the opera for the first time. Overture. Chorus. Little solos. Then the star tenor steps forward and does a long solo (big aria). When he concludes, he awaits audience applause, but when it comes, it is tepid. But one fellow (seated near our subject), shouts, "Encore! Encore!" whereupon the tenor smiles and nods to the conductor. The orchestra begins playing and the tenor sings the same aria, this time to a fidgety audience. He finishes. No applause. A few boos, hisses and catcalls.

Same guy shouts again, "ENCORE! ENCORE!" Our subject asks, "Why are you insisting that this tenor sing that piece again when the audience seems so displeased with his performance?":rolleyes:

Response: "I'm going to make that SOB keep singing it until he gets it right!":mad:

(HINT: Use this one to rationalize the reelection of any politician (either party) to public office.)

fantastic! thanks, Kib!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score
They're paving a driveway and curbside edge of the road, at the moment.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
...Once the building is opened the oohs and aahs will make everyone quickly forget this nano-second delay.
I lived in Sydney when their iconic Opera House was being built...
- Wow, well there’s no arguing with that example! You’re right. I was wrong.

-I really envy you’re having the opportunity to live in Sydney – favorite city of everyone I served with, during a year of non-stop port calls, cruising the western Pacific & IO.

-As a visitor, even the Opera House’s location seemed inspired. Looks great when sailing in, but I was unprepared how impressive the view also was whenever approaching it through the gardens, along the cove, harbor background, etc., etc.

- The Champions Center could be quite an experience: As soon as we exit that Center’s historic, inspiring displays, we’ll immediately find ourselves beside massive Gampel Pavilion. From that perspective, Gampel may never look the same.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maybe I am missing something and I keep looking for any one of our red hot journalists to make some inquiries or enlighten us about what's going on -- or when it's going on.

I think it's time for one of The Horde to knock on Mr. Manuel's door and ask a few questions. Am I delusional in thinking this is newsworthy?

Or maybe I am just missing something.

When I wrote this, I was both amazed and disappointed at the total lack of reporting on the status of progress or reasons for delays in the construction of the Champions Center. So I nonchalantly questioned not only the curiosity and resourcefulness of several fine journalists (John, Rich, Jim, Carl, Mike et al) but even their very professionalism.

Dumb me.:oops:

It did not occur to me then that the most likely reason for no reports and no pics is that the UConn AD must have placed an embargo on Champions Center news until he is ready to make One Big Splash with a spectacular news release, complete with photos, etc. Plus a preview guided tour for The Horde with AD Manuel and Coaches Auriemma and Ollie present. Plus a few more bells and whistles.

So my implied criticism of our beat writers was, I new believe, misplaced. I now await the Big Splash announcement about the ribbon-cutting and grand opening.:D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I lived in Sydney when their iconic Opera House was being built. I've long forgotten the details of that project but it overran its original projections not but a few percentage points, or even a few dozen but full multiples, coming in hundreds of millions of (Aussie) dollars over budget and years late. If you were conscious in the early 1970s, you may even have heard the howls here.
Ha, nothing like the Big Dig. Try 9 years and almost $12 Billion overrun. And it freaking still leaked. :mad:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Ha, nothing like the Big Dig. Try 9 years and almost $12 Billion overrun. And it freaking still leaked. :mad:
Any chance graft was involved?

These builders in Sydney and Boston seem to have followed the model of Robert Moses, who had unlimited power and reigned supremely over New York City construction from 1934 until 1968. All documented in a comprehensive (1,344 pages) bio by Robert Caro entitled "Power Broker - Robert Moses and the Fall of New York."

Moses developed grandiose plans and was smarter than lawyers reading them. Time and again, he (deliberately?) underestimated the cost to get approval, then rang up the overruns as work progressed. He focused intensely on automotive transportation while giving short shrift to public transportation. The results include a vast network of parkways, the massive Long Island Expressway, the perpetually clogged Cross Bronx and the insufferable LIRR.

A couple of interesting tidbits. Moses deserves much of the blame for the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn (he made them an offer they could refuse). The NY Times despised him but the publishers (Sulzbergers) were reluctant to lambaste a guy named Moses on their editorial page.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
These builders in Sydney and Boston seem to have followed the model of Robert Moses, who had unlimited power and reigned supremely over New York City construction from 1934 until 1968. All documented in a comprehensive (1,344 pages) bio by Robert Caro entitled "Power Broker - Robert Moses and the Fall of New York."

Moses developed grandiose plans and was smarter than lawyers reading them. Time and again, he (deliberately?) underestimated the cost to get approval, then rang up the overruns as work progressed. He focused intensely on automotive transportation while giving short shrift to public transportation. The results include a vast network of parkways, the massive Long Island Expressway, the perpetually clogged Cross Bronx and the insufferable LIRR.

A couple of interesting tidbits. Moses deserves much of the blame for the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn (he made them an offer they could refuse). The NY Times despised him but the publishers (Sulzbergers) were reluctant to lambaste a guy named Moses on their editorial page.
I guess he made NYC his Promised Land. (a land of bilk and money)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
News Flash. (My apologies for not doing links.)

An AP article was published today (July 21) in the Sacramento Bee by Pat Eaton-Robb about the ambitious plans for construction of new athletic facilities at UConn.

Warde Manuel is quoted as stating that they have raised 75% of funds for what is referred to as the "new basketball training facility," whose ultimate cost is estimated to be $40 million.

The article also informs us that finishing touches are being applied and that "the facility will open in the fall."

Well, now we know. About five months later than projected and $5 million over original estimated cost.

If that doesn't impress Ms Durr and Ms Cox, we are back to reliance on Geno's Pasta Primavera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom