Stats, with a different take... | The Boneyard

Stats, with a different take...

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
...on the game.

I am stunned by Gabby's never-tiring efforts and the results they produce, and the team as a whole continued to create mostly beautiful basketball last night.

But I want to talk about last night's opponent. Download the updated per-40 spreadsheet here and follow along...

Tulsa is now 5-13 (1-4 AAC) and has a passel of youngsters on the team, many who start. Yet, last night they accomplished a number of things that many top-10 teams could not do so far this season:
-- Their A/FG ratio was .619. The rest of the field comes in at .468
-- They are one of the very few teams in the entire streak to have an A/TO ratio greater than 1. (1.08) All other opponents this year averaged .556.
-- They only had 12 turnovers. Everyone else averaged 18.4.
-- Doing what the Huskies knew they were going to do, they still shot 38.4% from 3 for the game (47.1% in the first half) while the others shot 25.1%

Me 'at's off to the Golden Hurricane! A very good, dogged effort. If they can build on this, they'll be a significant part of the hoped-for improvement of WBB in the ACC.

Reaction Score
...on the game.

I am stunned by Gabby's never-tiring efforts and the results they produce, and the team as a whole continued to create mostly beautiful basketball last night.

But I want to talk about last night's opponent. Download the updated per-40 spreadsheet here and follow along...

Tulsa is now 5-13 (1-4 AAC) and has a passel of youngsters on the team, many who start. Yet, last night they accomplished a number of things that many top-10 teams could not do so far this season:
-- Their A/FG ratio was .619. The rest of the field comes in at .468
-- They are one of the very few teams in the entire streak to have an A/TO ratio greater than 1. (1.08) All other opponents this year averaged .556.
-- They only had 12 turnovers. Everyone else averaged 18.4.
-- Doing what the Huskies knew they were going to do, they still shot 38.4% from 3 for the game (47.1% in the first half) while the others shot 25.1%

Me 'at's off to the Golden Hurricane! A very good, dogged effort. If they can build on this, they'll be a significant part of the hoped-for improvement of WBB in the ACC.
Very interesting JRRJ, thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice use of stats to identify positives - you should send this to the coaching staff as one more thing to use for the team.

I will say, the HC identified the futility of trying to play inside the paint against Uconn, and made sure her team did not try to force the issue - that probably helped reduce the TO numbers. It was likely a good choice on her part, but there might be a little extra flattery built in because of the choice.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
With all due respect to the original poster, stats are misleading. Tulsa lost by 40 and weirdly their coach isn't frustrated by it.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
To those who may have downloaded the blank workbook to use for your own purposes, I have added a link to a new 4.7 version to the downloads page.

The update is relatively minor:
1. A change to the formula for the EP column so that players who were not in a game get a blank there instead of "0.00"
2. Un-protecting the "Season Start" page so you don't need to un-protect each copy made before recording filllng in the copy

As usual, please remit any suggestions for improvements or bug reports you may have regarding the worksheet.

Enjoy!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom