State Budget Cuts Threaten UConn | The Boneyard

State Budget Cuts Threaten UConn

Reaction Score
Just got off plane in Vegas and saw this. Not sure whether it merits your attention but wanted you to see it.

Governor Malloy’s New Reality

UConn needs your help next Wednesday.

Governor Malloy this week embraced what he called a new reality: living within our means, demanding accountability and achievement, and delivering value for the investment of State funding. He also promoted the management model already in practice at UConn for over twenty years, which has made UConn responsible for managing its administrative and financial affairs and accountable for assuring results. Over the past 20 years, UConn stands alone in its public achievements.

Now the Governor’s budget proposal for UConn threatens the University’s continued progress and status by proposing more than $31 million in cuts next year to the University, including UConn Health. If approved by the General Assembly, it would represent $139 million in reduced state support over a seven-year period.

The entire UConn community stands together to support and defend UConn’s extraordinary achievements of the past twenty years. Investments of public and private funds have transformed UConn from a good regional university to one of national prominence. Today, UConn successfully competes for the highest achieving students – many of whom would otherwise have left our state to attend colleges and begin their careers elsewhere. We kept our promise to stop the “brain drain” of a prior generation, dramatically increasing the quality, diversity and numbers of outstanding students choosing to enroll at UConn. Not only are Connecticut students and their families benefiting, but our state is rewarded with the educated workforce that is our greatest asset.

On Wednesday, February 10, state legislators will hear from university officials, and later that day from students, employees, and alumni – concerned about responsible funding for UConn. (Learn more.) This will be the first opportunity for the UConn community to support and defend the University’s success in promoting a vibrant economy and expanding a talented workforce. UConn is properly held accountable, and so are we: alumni, citizens, and legislators alike.

More importantly for UConn alumni, who reside in every town in the state, we ask that you watch for local “town hall meetings” being scheduled soon by the Governor. These meetings are intended to get citizen input about the Governor’s budget, and area legislators will be in attendance. These meetings will provide our alumni with the opportunity to reach out to the Governor and state senators and representatives and speak-up for UConn. Your participation can have a significant impact on the deliberations that will occur at the State Capitol.

Proposals for drastic, across-the-board reductions in state funding for UConn would undermine all the progress we have made, and nullify the promises made to our current and future students, and to employers throughout Connecticut. Please send us your thoughts and concerns to pass along to lawmakers. If you can, please come to the State Capitol on Wednesday evening in support of UConn.

Well-intentioned plans to balance the State budget demand that sound judgments be made, and that investments in UConn and public higher education be defended as the most successful contributions to economic recovery, opportunity, and prosperity.

We welcome your feedback.

Pat Sheehan, Chairman
UConn Advocates
uconnadvocates@gmail.com

To learn more information about UConn Advocates, visit UConnAdvocates.org.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Will I would prefer funding to UConn remain the same or be increased, I understand cuts need to be made state-wide. I would prefer spending cuts to be applied to welfare (people who have been out of work for too long and are physically able of working but refuse to work for minimum wage or a little higher due to pride or getting more from the state to not work than work), but I would also reduce taxes so that companies like GE and Jackson Labs don't get to blackmail us, and we get to keep jobs.

Reaction Score
Rock & a hard place, UConn needs more money to compete; but, the state has to cut costs to survive...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
"Share the sacrifice." That's been this state's motto for five years. Yet, those benefitting from "social programs" have been sharing nothing but laughs at all of us during that time.

Reaction Score
So if by some miracle UConn gets into a P5, that extra juice may only cover what Malloy wants to take away. Great. Does he know something we don't?

Reaction Score
"Share the sacrifice." That's been this state's motto for five years. Yet, those benefitting from "social programs" have been sharing nothing but laughs at all of us during that time.

What makes you think social programs have not also received cuts?

Reaction Score
Yeah I know all those rich people using food stamps and getting energy assistance and all those people living in mansions in Greenwich because they are section 8 are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm sure there are people that take advantage of the social safety nets in place, but that has always been the case and always will be the case. If 1% of them are taking advantage, would I want to screw over the other 99% that truly need help? Of course not, but it seems people these days are perfectly happy to hold someone else's head under water if it means they get a little extra air for themselves. Also with respect to corporate taxes, let's not kid ourselves here, the only acceptable tax rate to GE would be zero percent. Corporations already have incredible leverage, not to mention all of the tax loopholes they regularly take advantage of. When the music finally stops in Boston, GE will complain again and start shopping for a new home. Give it 10 years and they'll be giving Atlanta or Dallas or some other city where the work force is willing to work for $7/hour a call. It's what corporations do - their only goal is to have the largest profit margin possible.

Reaction Score
Yeah I know all those rich people using food stamps and getting energy assistance and all those people living in mansions in Greenwich because they are section 8 are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm sure there are people that take advantage of the social safety nets in place, but that has always been the case and always will be the case. If 1% of them are taking advantage, would I want to screw over the other 99% that truly need help? Of course not, but it seems people these days are perfectly happy to hold someone else's head under water if it means they get a little extra air for themselves. Also with respect to corporate taxes, let's not kid ourselves here, the only acceptable tax rate to GE would be zero percent. Corporations already have incredible leverage, not to mention all of the tax loopholes they regularly take advantage of. When the music finally stops in Boston, GE will complain again and start shopping for a new home. Give it 10 years and they'll be giving Atlanta or Dallas or some other city where the work force is willing to work for $7/hour a call. It's what corporations do - their only goal is to have the largest profit margin possible.
Can you blame the big corporate giants for wanting to leave CT after Dannel Malloy oversaw the biggest corporate taxes increases in history in 2011 and 2015? If Malloy had never been elected I believe GE would still be based in Fairfield. Malloy's policies have wrecked Connecticut's economy, that why UCONN is going to have to tighten it's belt.

Reaction Score
Can you blame the big corporate giants for wanting to leave CT after Dannel Malloy oversaw the biggest corporate taxes increases in history in 2011 and 2015? If Malloy had never been elected I believe GE would still be based in Fairfield. Malloy's policies have wrecked Connecticut's economy, that why UCONN is going to have to tighten it's belt.
GE was leaving anyway. The deal they got inMA is unbelievable and it puts them in a market the best and brightest engineers and big thinkers want to live, work and play. Their CT space is antiquated and not easily upgraded.

Reaction Score
Long-term UConn should look at UVA as a model. For all university divisions, state appropriations accounted for $154.4 million of a $2.6 billion budget, or 5.8 percent at UVA in a recent year. For the academic division, state appropriations were $139.5 million of a $1.36 billion budget, or 10.2 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...999782-1baf-11e3-82ef-a059e54c49d0_story.html

Also, UConn is part of the answer to attract world-class businesses to Connecticut, not a drain on its state budget. But it has to involve public and private partnerships.

President Herbst has made STEM a major priority for the university. Let's see it grow and prosper. AAU membership will follow.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Someone needs to forward the state legislature all the posts showing how the exposure of being on ESPN is more important than being paid.

Reaction Score
GE was leaving anyway. The deal they got inMA is unbelievable and it puts them in a market the best and brightest engineers and big thinkers want to live, work and play. Their CT space is antiquated and not easily upgraded.
They were leaving anyway as soon as Malloy got elected the first time. Jeff Imelt is no fool, he knew back in 2008 when Malloy got elected that Malloy would do the same to Connecticut businesses that he did to Stamford's local businesses and residential community. When Malloy got elected for a 2nd term, that was the last straw for GE. GE leaving CT will reverberate throughout the states economy for years to come. And Malloy did not lift a finger to stop it. Massachusetts is #25 in tax advantages for large companies, Connecticut is #45 now and still going higher. Leave it to Dannel boy, tolls on 95, 84, and 91 are next.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They were leaving anyway as soon as Malloy got elected the first time. Jeff Imelt is no fool, he knew back in 2008 when Malloy got elected that Malloy would do the same to Connecticut businesses that he did to Stamford's local businesses and residential community. When Malloy got elected for a 2nd term, that was the last straw for GE. GE leaving CT will reverberate throughout the states economy for years to come. And Malloy did not lift a finger to stop it. Massachusetts is #25 in tax advantages for large companies, Connecticut is #45 now and still going higher. Leave it to Dannel boy, tolls on 95, 84, and 91 are next.

Take your stupidity to the Cesspool. You will fit right in.

Reaction Score
Take your stupidity to the Cesspool. You will fit right in.
It's not just GE bright eyes, Aetna and Travelers also are threatening to leave the state. Even UTC has begun to move certain operations to Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Texas.

Reaction Score
It's not just GE bright eyes, Aetna and Travelers also are threatening to leave the state. Even UTC has begun to move certain operations to Florida, Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Texas.

Travelers is technically headquartered in NYC though some executives are in Hartford and St. Paul, which makes sense as NYC based Citi sold Hartford based Travelers to St. Paul who then took the Travelers name.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

We heard you the first five times. Democrats bad. We got it.

Reaction Score
Nelson, excuse me but LIBERALS of both parties are the problems, whether in Hartford, Tallahassee or Washington, DC. Tax and spend is going to kill America and Connecticut (or any state). Connecticut will lose if the voters don't wake up...

Reaction Score
Nelson, excuse me but LIBERALS of both parties are the problems, whether in Hartford, Tallahassee or Washington, DC. Tax and spend is going to kill America and Connecticut (or any state). Connecticut will lose if the voters don't wake up...

Go away

Reaction Score

I would actually argue that the polarizing of American politics on both the far right and far left, especially at the Federal level is the main issue with the word 'Moderate' now a bad word within both parties. In the 80's, there were some radicals; but, they were marginalized in order to build consensus and get things done. Democracy is built on compromise (and respect) and neither value has been seen in DC in a long time.

Reaction Score
I would argue gerrymandering and campaign finance is killing the incentive to compromise.

Good thing Repubs control both houses of Congress. They will cut spending, eliminate the deficit and reduce the debt...oh wait.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of tax and spend, but on the conservative side of the political spectrum the mantra is cut taxes and spend. In the end, both sides want to spend. If politicians are hell bent on spending, then they damn well should have the revenue to cover it, and the way government takes in revenue is via taxation. No one wants to pay taxes, but they are necessary for a functioning society.

Reaction Score
I would argue gerrymandering and campaign finance is killing the incentive to compromise.

Good thing Repubs control both houses of Congress. They will cut spending, eliminate the deficit and reduce the debt...oh wait.
I would ban politicians from investing. Way too much conflict of interest there. If the average Joe works in the financial services industry, the amount of rules, regulations, and compliance monitoring is unreal just to prevent bad actors or even the remotest of appearances of shady business, yet we let politicians waltz in the unlocked back door to rob the place blind.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
this thread has cesspool written all over it

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Yeah get this sh it out of here. If I want to throw up in my mouth I'll go to the cesspool.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom