Star Wars --- The Prophecy | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Star Wars --- The Prophecy

Reaction Score

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
FluxTZ said:
For those of you who hated Episode I, here's the actual reddit post and is most definitely worth a read: https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/3qvj6w/theory_jar_jar_binks_was_a_trained_force_user/ Along with video cliff notes below. I'm all in and would love if it were true. YouTube Video

The thing is that even if it wasn't intended and jar jar was an attempt at toy sales or whatever, they could absolutely go revisionist with these interpretations and make it so.

Would be kinda hilarious

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Did I ever tell you that Jar-Jar was in a barbershop quartet in Skokie, Illinois?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Here's a fun piece that makes a pretty convincing case for ROTJ being a sucky movie... and it touches on my complaint about Obi-Wan and also points out Vader should have probably sensed/ figured out Leia was his kid too.
Vader was kinda dumb. Guy looks cool with his mask, suit and breathing sound effects but he isn't very bright. Guy believes all the Emperors awful lies, attacks Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan had "the higher ground" and lost big time, had Luke and company trapped with the stolen plans for the Death Star inside the Death Star and let them all go, failed multiple times in finding the Millennium Falcon only got them in the end because of Boba Fett, Emperor tricks Vader into turning Luke when in fact the Emperor wanted Luke to replace Vader. Vader is dumb.

Reaction Score
Vader was kinda dumb. Guy looks cool with his mask, suit and breathing sound effects but he isn't very bright. Guy believes all the Emperors awful lies, attacks Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan had "the higher ground" and lost big time, had Luke and company trapped with the stolen plans for the Death Star inside the Death Star and let them all go, failed multiple times in finding the Millennium Falcon only got them in the end because of Boba Fett, Emperor tricks Vader into turning Luke when in fact the Emperor wanted Luke to replace Vader. Vader is dumb.
I'm not sure he does believe all the emperor's lies...at least not in the OT. Certainly young angsty Anakin is a dumb idiot, but in Empire he out and out says that he wants Luke to turn so that they can kill the Emperor and rule themselves. And father-son relationship did appeal to Luke, at least a little, so it's possible that Vader hoped Luke would turn with him against Palpatine in ROtJ.

The other stuff, yeah. To be fair, though, it's a big galaxy and not unreasonable that he couldn't find one ship.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I always saw it as being warped by the Dark Side. He believes what his 'heart' wants him to believe, not his head. He's filled with irrational overconfidence in his own (and the Darkside's) abilities/power, instead of humbleness and truth.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I always saw it as being warped by the Dark Side. He believes what his 'heart' wants him to believe, not his head. He's filled with irrational overconfidence in his own (and the Darkside's) abilities/power, instead of humbleness and truth.

To clarify, the Dark side thrives on the irrationality of emotion. The light favors the head and the control of that emotion.

Reaction Score
Reactions out of LA have been near universally positive.

When Patton Oswald is coming out loving the film...

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Reactions out of LA have been near universally positive.

When Patton Oswald is coming out loving the film...

Is it impolite to say that I have a hard on? Didn't prebuy, so I'll skip the first couple days, but I can't wait.

Reaction Score
To clarify, the Dark side thrives on the irrationality of emotion. The light favors the head and the control of that emotion.

And the fall of the old Jedi order seems to be in part due to their arrogance (the Sith are gone, whoops!) and going overboard against all emotion, including love. Passion for a cause and love for others can be a powerful tool when used in the right way.

Going to the 7 PM showing on Thursday at a small theater with my two young boys. Was afraid that the big local theater in the Garden State Plaza would have been just too insane. I'm excited; but, my youngest son is bouncing off the walls.

PS - I think for Episode VIII, the surprise will be that Supreme Leader Snoke's Sith name is Darth Trump.

Reaction Score

This hits on another inanity of the prequels. George Lucas creates a religion or whatever that is all about absolutes. Boinking is not allowed, or at least boinking when coupled with long-term commitments, etc. Then Obi Wan tells newly converted Darth Vader that only siths deal in absolutes? Uh, okay. Lucas tried to make a political statement in his movies and dumped on his own world-making to do it. For the record, I m okay with using your own art to make a statement, but don't drop a deuce on past masterpieces to do it.

Reaction Score
This hits on another inanity of the prequels. George Lucas creates a religion or whatever that is all about absolutes. Boinking is not allowed, or at least boinking when coupled with long-term commitments, etc. Then Obi Wan tells newly converted Darth Vader that only siths deal in absolutes? Uh, okay. Lucas tried to make a political statement in his movies and dumped on his own world-making to do it. For the record, I m okay with using your own art to make a statement, but don't drop a deuce on past masterpieces to do it.
This is all true.

Although, I've just rewatched the prequels in anticipation of the new one, since I probably haven't seen them since they came out.

I know this sounds stupid, but if you could ignore the dialogue, they're not that bad. Well, all except The Phantom Menace. And as an English teacher, it's very hard to ignore the dialogue, to be sure. Really undercuts a number of scenes (STOP SAYING MILADY!). But watching 2 and 3 back to back can, if you allow it, be a pretty good experience. Nothing like 4-6, but definitely pretty enjoyable movies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is all true.

Although, I've just rewatched the prequels in anticipation of the new one, since I probably haven't seen them since they came out.

I know this sounds stupid, but if you could ignore the dialogue, they're not that bad. Well, all accept The Phantom Menace. And as an English teacher, it's very hard to ignore the dialogue, to be sure. Really undercuts a number of scenes (STOP SAYING MILADY!). But watching 2 and 3 back to back can, if you allow it, be a pretty good experience. Nothing like 4-6, but definitely pretty enjoyable movies.

I agree. I love to complain about them, but when the digital versions were released on Amazon, I ultimately bought episodes 2 and 3 to go with the originals. I enjoy the action scenes and the music ensemble is as good as the originals'.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope we are going to have a moratorium on spoilers until at least a week has passed. I can't get to the show the first few nights and want to be completely virgin for the the screening.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Got tickets at the AMC in Plainville and you get to choose your seats. Pretty sweet because we don't need to get there insanely early. As it is my wife is going begrudgingly and told me she wouldn't wait in lines. So Saturday afternoon I'll be seeing it. Have stayed away from anything Star Wars related on the internet to avoid spoilers. Have heard it's awesome though from others who read reviews.

Already converted my 3 year onld who saw the cover of Rolling Stones with Chewie and Han on it and said, "Look Dad, a Wookie!!" I have never used that word around her. I hugged her and made her repeat it to my wife who just rolled her eyes!

Reaction Score
I hope we are going to have a moratorium on spoilers until at least a week has passed. I can't get to the show the first few nights and want to be completely virgin for the the screening.
Agree. I'm usually not one who cares about spoilers, but this one is different. All the (spoiler-free!) reviews I've read have said the surprises are big enough where you want to learn them in the moment.

Maybe a Star Wars thread for those who have seen the movie to participate, with spoilers in the title?

Reaction Score
I agree. I love to complain about them, but when the digital versions were released on Amazon, I ultimately bought episodes 2 and 3 to go with the originals. I enjoy the action scenes and the music ensemble is as good as the originals'.
I also do think that 2 and 3 add some depth and shading to the characters of the OT. I mean, Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is pretty good despite lines like "I have the higher ground" and "even the younglings." And Ian McDiarmid is loads of fun as the Emperor.

Also, while most people didn't like the difference in aesthetics (me included), I do think, in retrospect, the change from 3 to 4 shows us something about the Empire, and gives us greater context for the universe. Similarly, upon rewatching the films Anakin's fall isn't nearly as quick or forced as I initially thought, and it does add a little bit of depth to Vader, particularly in Jedi.

None of it was ultimately necessary, and I can do without the future Darth Vader complaining about sand, but seeing it again with fresher eyes has made me appreciate it a little more, and (hopefully) will also make me like TFA by contrast.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I also do think that 2 and 3 add some depth and shading to the characters of the OT. I mean, Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan is pretty good despite lines like "I have the higher ground" and "even the younglings." And Ian McDiarmid is loads of fun as the Emperor.

Also, while most people didn't like the difference in aesthetics (me included), I do think, in retrospect, the change from 3 to 4 shows us something about the Empire, and gives us greater context for the universe. Similarly, upon rewatching the films Anakin's fall isn't nearly as quick or forced as I initially thought, and it does add a little bit of depth to Vader, particularly in Jedi.

The casting wasn't too bad for the most part, even in TPM. Ian, Ewan, Liam, Natalie, etc...except the most important one: Anakin. Both Hayden and Jake were, quite frankly, terrible choices there. One wooden, the other a very annoying kid. I think were Anakin cast well, the movies might have had a better aftertaste to them than they do now.

And let's face it, Darth Maul is one of the better characters in the entire series. The letdown was not having him in it long enough.

Reaction Score
The casting wasn't too bad for the most part, even in TPM. Ian, Ewan, Liam, Natalie, etc...except the most important one: Anakin. Both Hayden and Jake were, quite frankly, terrible choices there. One wooden, the other a very annoying kid. I think were Anakin cast well, the movies might have had a better aftertaste to them than they do now.

And let's face it, Darth Maul is one of the better characters in the entire series. The letdown was not having him in it long enough.
Lucas decided to have about one villain per movie. I guess that whets Palpatine's appetite for a better apprentice, but it means no one cares about Maul, Dooku, or Greivous...which is sad because, because each had things that were interesting, and were any of them given more than one movie, they might have been worthy inheritors to Vader.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of Star Wars followers out there, amazing huh? Never watched any of them in full.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom