Stand Up Comedy Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stand Up Comedy Thread

Reaction Score
Back then, if one wanted craft and flow, they'd go see Cosby. That wasn't why you went to see Pryor.

Watched the new Chappelle. The first 10-15 minutes was some of the best crafted comedy I can remember. Woke critics are all over Dave for continuing to joke about transfolk and punching down on the handicapped.

verboten words and phrases and attack. Meanwhile, Dave is playing 4-D chess.
4-D chess is the perfect way to describe that first ten minutes. I immediately rewound it and rewatched it again. Brilliant.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
4-D chess is the perfect way to describe that first ten minutes. I immediately rewound it and rewatched it again. Brilliant.

Saw it coming, and the last third of the act sucked.

The "I was attacked by a guy with a knife that identified as a gun" was gold.

Overall, very good. I ended up watching all his specials available to stream. His first (Killing Then Softly) in 2000 was good, but I barely recognized him. He was rail thin and his voice was unrecognizable.

Attachments

• IMG_3791.jpeg
    IMG_3791.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I watched a documentary on Gary Mule Deer on Netflix. Dude is still performing 100 sets a year at age 83. And some of the material he's still using dates back to the Tonight Show when Carson was still there, lol.

Always found him inventive, intelligent and odd, but not the kind of groundbreaking comedy that would launch a superstar career. He gets nicked for using props, but he used them in such a way that he's not seen strictly as a prop comic like CarrotTop.

Anyway, hadn't thought of the guy in years and found this doc interesting as the comics interviewed (including Steve Martin, who was Mule Deer's roomie when both first got to LA), respect the guy. And it turns out, he's a pretty cool dude.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I watched a documentary on Gary Mule Deer on Netflix. Dude is still performing 100 sets a year at age 83. And some of the material he's still using dates back to the Tonight Show when Carson was still there, lol.

Always found him inventive, intelligent and odd, but not the kind of groundbreaking comedy that would launch a superstar career. He gets nicked for using props, but he used them in such a way that he's not seen strictly as a prop comic like CarrotTop.

Anyway, hadn't thought of the guy in years and found this doc interesting as the comics interviewed (including Steve Martin, who was Mule Deer's roomie when both first got to LA), respect the guy. And it turns out, he's a pretty cool dude.

what's the documentary called? I just searched for Gary Mule Deer and got nothing.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
what's the documentary called? I just searched for Gary Mule Deer and got nothing.
My bad, it was Prime, not Netflix
"Show Business Is My Life, But I Can't Prove It"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I remember him from a comedy game show called Make Me Laugh. That's it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Try DRY BAR comedy on Youtube. Being a Boomer myself, I am partial to Brad Upton
And Jeff Allen
Drybar has some good stuff - even some guys who will work blue, but not in Provo (where all DryBar sets appear to be filmed). As a comic, you know you're going to be playing to a predominately white and conservative audience, so edgy doesn't really play (although even the kid with the face tattoo and the alligator story was a hit there).

Anyway, Upton and Allen are old pros and you can tell they've mastered their craft even if many of the jokes themselves might've been appropriate for Alan King on the Ed Sullivan show. Those guys do really well on cruise ships and midwest tours, and it's good to see they can still make a good living in their 60s plying their trade.

Reaction Score
I am a big stand up fan and felt like we needed an official thread here.

With the timing of it right now, I'll kick it off saying how disappointing Matt Rife's Netflix special was. I had heard him on podcasts talking about how it's awkward to be famous for his looks and I felt like this special was so over the top on how "controversial" he was and how he wasn't a pretty boy but how he was edgy. Not funny and totally forced and not a well crafted and tight set at all.
I saw this thread title and thought I was in for a Best of Danny Hurley montage.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Always found this guy funny (quirky).

Robert Mac (from Robertmac.com)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Documentary worth the watch for any true comedy fan: Patrice O'Neal "Killing Is Easy" on Paramount+

His final special "Elephant In the Room" is also there. He knew he didn't have a ton of time left, and this set was about as amazing a swan song as there's ever been.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on Shane Gillis’ opening monologue on SNL this week?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Other than Jost & Che, SNL has become insufferably woke, as has their audience. I saw Gillis was trending on Twitter, so checked out why, then watched the clips. Gillis's monologue was fine. His use of 'dumb' was fine. And as far as the skits go, he was generally the best part of each one.

Reaction Score
It felt like performance art.

He got fired from SNL for reasons @storrsroars mentioned and now he's back hosting, which is...awkward at best. It almost felt like the band was instructed to never laugh, which, if true, is hilarious direction from Lorne.

Overall, stand up comedians tend to have crappy monologues since most comedians' materials are not suited for network TV.

Overall, I am a Gillis fan though. As a liberal guy with a conservative dad who lives in Pennsyltucky, Gillis has been a bonding point for us since we both appreciate how his material does a nice job having fun with the woke culture as he generally seems like a good guy who is actually hilarious. I'm not a podcast guy, but his stuff with the Matt and Shane secret podcast is pretty funny.

Reaction Score
It felt like performance art.

He got fired from SNL for reasons @storrsroars mentioned and now he's back hosting, which is...awkward at best. It almost felt like the band was instructed to never laugh, which, if true, is hilarious direction from Lorne.

Overall, stand up comedians tend to have crappy monologues since most comedians' materials are not suited for network TV.

Overall, I am a Gillis fan though. As a liberal guy with a conservative dad who lives in Pennsyltucky, Gillis has been a bonding point for us since we both appreciate how his material does a nice job having fun with the woke culture as he generally seems like a good guy who is actually hilarious. I'm not a podcast guy, but his stuff with the Matt and Shane secret podcast is pretty funny.
I like the description of performance art. I felt like he was TRYING to be uncomfortable and almost purposefully "bombed" in parts as a performance....which, if true, makes me think it was actually well done.

Reaction Score
First time I've seen that show be decently funny in 10-15 years since Bill Hader, Jason Sudekis, and Will Forte left.

Maybe they had a couple episodes with another funny host that carried them but the cast and writing has been brutal for over a decade. Gillis is a funny guy, it's nice to see he's a huge standup now.

Reaction Score
Just got tickets to Shane Gillis in August at Mohegan. Always good to lock up a summer Saturday night with something to look forward to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Saw Attell tonight. Great show, but getting kinda worried about him. Sat for most of the time, had to clear throat a bunch, voice sounded much more raspy than usual. Hope it's just a temporary thing, but thinking the smoking may be finally getting to him. See him while you can!

Reaction Score
Saw Attell tonight. Great show, but getting kinda worried about him. Sat for most of the time, had to clear throat a bunch, voice sounded much more raspy than usual. Hope it's just a temporary thing, but thinking the smoking may be finally getting to him. See him while you can!

He was on with Segura and Kreischer last week and said he has COPD. I watched the Netflix special and I’m sure they tried to limit it but there was a lot of coughs and throat clearing there too. And his skin coloring was gray. Not good.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He was on with Segura and Kreischer last week and said he has COPD. I watched the Netflix special and I’m sure they tried to limit it but there was a lot of coughs and throat clearing there too. And his skin coloring was gray. Not good.
Maybe that's why he took up the recorder, to help breathing?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom