Staley Award is biased and Wrong | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Staley Award is biased and Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Has the winner of the award ever been a player coached by Dawn Staley in the past? If it happens a lot I can see the beef, but Tiffany Mitchell is an outstanding player.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Has the winner of the award ever been a player coached by Dawn Staley in the past? If it happens a lot I can see the beef, but Tiffany Mitchell is an outstanding player.
It's only in it's 3rd year of existence. Diggins, Sims and now Mitchell.

its-a-major-award.gif

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And not to rain on anyone's parade - but the award is determined by select sportswriters and broadcasters and sponsored by a Philadelphia organization. Who may very well have thought it was appropriate to honor Dawn's point guard. At least Mitchell is worthy of some recognition, even if not necessarily this particular lofty award.

But I wouldn't blame Dawn herself, which at least one poster came quite close to doing.

Count me squarely on the fence on this issue including a corner that is clearly a WBB fan mostly. I love the idea of an award that honors Dawn Staley=PG deluxe! To give that award to Tiffany Mitchell over not only Moriah Jefferson, but Jewell Loyd , & Niya Johnson, & Samantha Logic makes the award worthy of some criticism IMO. Maybe not as much criticism as is being spewed here. On the other hand it is not that far fetch that someone applied this criteria: “Staley award given to a player who exemplifies the skills that Staley possessed during her career, which included ballhanding, scoring, her ability to distribute the basketball and her will to win.” And concluded: Tiffany Mitchell=1st team All-American + Staley Award winner and Moriah Jefferson=2nd team All-American + Lieberman Award Winner + PG holding 3 rings.
Also not logical that a Philadelphia organization would favor Dawn's player (Mitchell-from SC) more than Geno's player ( Mo Jefferson-from TX) than more than Muffett's player (Loyd-from IL.).

Reaction Score
And not to rain on anyone's parade - but the award is determined by select sportswriters and broadcasters and sponsored by a Philadelphia organization. Who may very well have thought it was appropriate to honor Dawn's point guard. At least Mitchell is worthy of some recognition, even if not necessarily this particular lofty award.

But I wouldn't blame Dawn herself, which at least one poster came quite close to doing.

I've always been taught: The Image of impropriety is the same as the actual impropriety!! Do you think for one minute if Geno had an award in his name that he would select one of his players , unless that player was actually the best at that position? I believe if Uconn/Geno had such an award he would specify this was for UConn players only if that was how it was to be given out. Impropriety is impropriety!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do you think for one minute if Geno had an award in his name that he would select one of his players , unless that player was actually the best at that position?
No I do not think Geno would do than and neither would Dawn!
Impropriety is impropriety!!
There is no "impropriety" here- why make it up?

Reaction Score
Count me squarely on the fence on this issue including a corner that is clearly a WBB fan mostly. I love the idea of an award that honors Dawn Staley=PG deluxe! To give that award to Tiffany Mitchell over not only Moriah Jefferson, but Jewell Loyd , & Niya Johnson, & Samantha Logic makes the award

The Image of impropriety is the same as the actual impropriety--I've been taught. Do you think for one minute Geno would allow an award given in his name, by a philly group, to select one of his players unless that player was actually the very very best in the land? I'm sure Christine would have issues with that. If Geno or Uconn wanted to issue an award for only Uconn players that's different. It not about Mitchel getting an award, she is very good but not necessarily IMO the very best for that award. Philly organization or not. Geno has his faults but he recognizes great players in WBB what ever team they may play for.
If my previous comment came on too strong or damning--I apologize to the BY and to Dawn--Impropriety of mine.

Reaction Score

The image of impropriety is the selection of one of your own players for the award in your name regardless of who was put in charge of the award giving , when apparently there are other players in the land move qualified for that award. That's the apparent image of impropiety
If there were no image of impropriety this thread would not have been started.

Reaction Score

None was made up. It is the image of impropriety or this thread would not have been started. I guess it's a matter of some see white, some see grey, some see black on the same issue. I'll agree to disagree.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The image of impropriety is the selection of one of your own players for the award in your name regardless of who was put in charge of the award giving , when apparently there are other players in the land move qualified for that award. That's the apparent image of impropiety
The bold part is a significant reach. You are stating "impropiety" on the part of Dawn Staley because her player was chosen for an award that bears her name? You have no proof that Dawn influenced this voting. When KnightBridgeAZ post trys to inform you how the selection was made, you ignore this.
The subject of Mitchell winning the Dawn Staley Award was covered in at least two threads prior to this one. Many opinions expressed including my personal favorite: "BFD"-Kibitzer?. Your opinion that there was "impropriety" on the part of Dawn Staley in this award selection is unique and baseless. So regardless of who made the selection Dawn is to blame?

Reaction Score
Oh, she's ok.:p;)

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I've always been taught: The Image of impropriety is the same as the actual impropriety!! Do you think for one minute if Geno had an award in his name that he would select one of his players , unless that player was actually the best at that position? I believe if Uconn/Geno had such an award he would specify this was for UConn players only if that was how it was to be given out. Impropriety is impropriety!!

Dawn didn't create the award and she doesn't choose the winner so I don't really see your point.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
It's just a trophy. It's not a metric of any kind. It is not written for Charelton Heston on some stone tablets. It's an opinion. If you think your Ford Focus is sexier than my Vette, that doesn't make you a fool. It means you probably have a taste in vehicles that is not widely shared. But it is your opinion. You get to have it, say it, and explain it to those folks who, if still listening at all, gaze upon you with quizical expressions while harboring deepest doubt.

Reaction Score
Why does anyone here care who won a nothing award? Guess a few do. Nothing much to post about, so why not complain. Gonna be a longggg summer.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Eric if that was the case,Saniya Chong would know how to play defense by now!
And maybe Geno's influence would rub off on the fans a bit and someone like you would get a clue. Next year try to keep watching games if UConn by some horrid chance loses one. Those who are stuck in the past of early November are destined to miss the great times in the spring.

Chong-bashers unite; you have nothing to lose but the pathetic old sputum you eject into your little pot together.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dobbs,I have played and coached basketball for the last 44 years!I am speaking from what I have learned during that time!Saniya is a great kid but she reminds me of another recent grad,who everyone thought should play more and didn't because I guess Geno couldn't influence her(Heather Buck).Every kid does not listen to the coach!IN 44 years never played on or coached a losing team!CAN YOU SAY THAT?

Reaction Score
I never said Staley had anything to do with this award.If the people in Philly want to have the award give it to a player from the area or one that is playing in the area now.MoJeff won the Lieberman Award!That is the Award recognized by the NCAA.I thought Alecia Welch was the best player for SC against UConn and without her CT wins that game by close to 40!Prediction CONN.by 20-25pts in South Carolina next year!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I never said Staley had anything to do with this award.If the people in Philly want to have the award give it to a player from the area or one that is playing in the area now.MoJeff won the Lieberman Award!That is the Award recognized by the NCAA.I thought Alecia Welch was the best player for SC against UConn and without her CT wins that game by close to 40!Prediction CONN.by 20-25pts in South Carolina next year!
Is this your post or Nah?
The Dawn Staley Award was given to Tiffany Mitchell for the simple reason that she played at South Carolina and was coached by Staley!Moriah Jefferson proved time and again that she is the best PG in the country and no guard on South Carolina was even in her league!If this is how the award is given out then maybe it shouldn't be!

Reaction Score
Dobbs,I have played and coached basketball for the last 44 years!I am speaking from what I have learned during that time!Saniya is a great kid but she reminds me of another recent grad,who everyone thought should play more and didn't because I guess Geno couldn't influence her(Heather Buck).Every kid does not listen to the coach!IN 44 years never played on or coached a losing team!CAN YOU SAY THAT?

Hey, pat yourself on the back.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

You are being outflanked. I would recommend a little more humor and less braggadocio. Recognize & take your victories where you can them. For example, The group currently known as the Chong-bashers is a victory because the term used previously was Chong haters. That call to unite is false, it is simply an invitation to pen a criticism and regardless of how valid will be returned as proof of your hatred of Chong. Remember Wargames the movie “ if you can’t win better off not playing. "
Humor: So you coached 44 Years and never had a losing season? Well clearly you are not stretching yourself enough! I have a few guys on my over 50 league that is clearly looking for a person of your immense talents. We are not going to talk crazy and dream of being .500 or anything that wild but if you get us to say 32% that would be our best season in 4-5 years. That coach of the year pitcher of beer could be yours. You in?

Reaction Score

I think Geno likes Chong (he said Sanyia was the one with the biggest improvement during last summer practice). And Chong is not kind the player won't listen to the coach. It just something Chong need not to scare and get back her confidence.

Reaction Score
If there was a player that emulated Dawn Staley's college and pro career it was Moriah Jefferson the ultimate PG for the best team in the Country. Heck Samantha Logic deserved the award over Tiffany Mitchell. Would have had less problems if Jewel had won over Tiffany. IMHO the travesty was the Moriah wasn't even a finalist for the award.
Wbbfan1 - Agree whole heartedly. Double yes about Samantha Logic---I felt she was one of the best complete guards in the nation. Also, could someone fill me in--I'm old and slow at times--Isn't the Staley Award for a POINT Guard?? Mitchell and LLoyd are not point guards for their team. If it is true that MoJeff was not even a finalist then the Award has no value--none-IMHO. Politics creeping into sports once again.

Reaction Score
Count me squarely on the fence on this issue including a corner that is clearly a WBB fan mostly. I love the idea of an award that honors Dawn Staley=PG deluxe! To give that award to Tiffany Mitchell over not only Moriah Jefferson, but Jewell Loyd , & Niya Johnson, & Samantha Logic makes the award worthy of some criticism IMO. Maybe not as much criticism as is being spewed here. On the other hand it is not that far fetch that someone applied this criteria: “Staley award given to a player who exemplifies the skills that Staley possessed during her career, which included ballhanding, scoring, her ability to distribute the basketball and her will to win.” And concluded: Tiffany Mitchell=1st team All-American + Staley Award winner and Moriah Jefferson=2nd team All-American + Lieberman Award Winner + PG holding 3 rings.
Also not logical that a Philadelphia organization would favor Dawn's player (Mitchell-from SC) more than Geno's player ( Mo Jefferson-from TX) than more than Muffett's player (Loyd-from IL.).

Coco - just a slight nuance on your last sentence. Dawn played in North Philly at Dobbins HS. Geno, I love the guy and his Philly flavor, but he is from Norristown. He is not Roman Catholic, West Catholic, or Neumann--he was a suburban Bishop Kendrick. He did coach in Philly and he is a clone of any "old school" Philly people.
Funny, when I meet people at the shore, beach, or anywhere around the country--lots of people say they are from Philly because it is the closest big city and has juice. When I ask what high school they went to, all of a sudden they really come from Bucks County and Council Rock, etc. Yo, dat ain't Philly--wit or witout the cheese. So it would easily be logical that a Philly organization would favor Dawn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - just a slight nuance on your last sentence. Dawn played in North Philly at Dobbins HS. Geno, I love the guy and his Philly flavor, but he is from Norristown. He is not Roman Catholic, West Catholic, or Neumann--he was a suburban Bishop Kendrick. He did coach in Philly and he is a clone of any "old school" Philly people.
Funny, when I meet people at the shore, beach, or anywhere around the country--lots of people say they are from Philly because it is the closest big city and has juice. When I ask what high school they went to, all of a sudden they really come from Bucks County and Council Rock, etc. Yo, dat ain't Philly--wit or witout the cheese. So it would easily be logical that a Philly organization would favor Dawn.
Coach, definitely appreciate the distinction. Remember I am Bishop Kendrick alumni same as Geno. And thank you for not confusing us with that shot gun marriage briefly known as Kennedy Kendrick. We'll have to agree to disagree how much a Philly organization would favor Dawn over both Geno& Muffett. FYI there was a Philly kid among the finalist for the award Britnay Hyronko formerly of Engineering & Science of Depaul. If you are looking for a Philly connection to the award that would have been the way to go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think Geno likes Chong (he said Sanyia was the one with the biggest improvement during last summer practice). And Chong is not kind the player won't listen to the coach. It just something Chong need not to scare and get back her confidence.
UCONN players that don't listen don't last. Sanyia definitely listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom