Staley Award is biased and Wrong | The Boneyard

Staley Award is biased and Wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Dawn Staley Award was given to Tiffany Mitchell for the simple reason that she played at South Carolina and was coached by Staley!Moriah Jefferson proved time and again that she is the best PG in the country and no guard on South Carolina was even in her league!If this is how the award is given out then maybe it shouldn't be!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If there was a player that emulated Dawn Staley's college and pro career it was Moriah Jefferson the ultimate PG for the best team in the Country. Heck Samantha Logic deserved the award over Tiffany Mitchell. Would have had less problems if Jewel had won over Tiffany. IMHO the travesty was the Moriah wasn't even a finalist for the award.

Reaction Score
Moriah is the all around player Staley was!Made her teammates better!Loyd and Mitchell are not the all around player Staley was!Allen more important than Loyd!

Reaction Score
Eric if that was the case,Saniya Chong would know how to play defense by now!

Reaction Score
The Dawn Staley Award was given to Tiffany Mitchell for the simple reason that she played at South Carolina and was coached by Staley!Moriah Jefferson proved time and again that she is the best PG in the country and no guard on South Carolina was even in her league!If this is how the award is given out then maybe it shouldn't be!
Don't you know--If it's my pencil, my paper, my award---I can give it to whom ever I choose. Or as my wife likes to say--the snake has all the lines (now explain that to me!!) Moriah and a dozen other point guards were never in the running. Nepotism at it's finest!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
All the players really care about is the "Geno Auriemma Award", which appears to be the National Championship. Team UCONN has won it 10 times.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And not to rain on anyone's parade - but the award is determined by select sportswriters and broadcasters and sponsored by a Philadelphia organization. Who may very well have thought it was appropriate to honor Dawn's point guard. At least Mitchell is worthy of some recognition, even if not necessarily this particular lofty award.

But I wouldn't blame Dawn herself, which at least one poster came quite close to doing.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
And not to rain on anyone's parade - but the award is determined by select sportswriters and broadcasters and sponsored by a Philadelphia organization. Who may very well have thought it was appropriate to honor Dawn's point guard. At least Mitchell is worthy of some recognition, even if not necessarily this particular lofty award.

But I wouldn't blame Dawn herself, which at least one poster came quite close to doing.

Agreed. The charmed life of some UCONN fans.... You guys just won a national championship and the source of the OPs outrage is the fact that a rather meaningless award was given to a player that didn't play for their team...

BFD. Moriah Jefferson probably isn't aware that there is a "Dawn Staley Award" given to the player that a group of people feel exemplifies the way Dawn played the game..

In the grand scheme of things...... does it matter? NO. It barely mattered to SC fans, so I wonder why this bothers some of you so much?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Count me in the "I don't care" group!

ALL the POY awards ( in every category) can go to anyone not on the UCONN team as long as we are winning national championships.

I always found team awards more important than individual ones ;)

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
The Dawn Staley award is given to the most outstanding collegiate guard in the country; a player who exemplifies the skills that Dawn possessed during her ...

I won't argue who won the award. But I think it is terrible wrong that Moriah is not even in the list.
Does Moiah win the Nancy Lieberman Award which by the Rotary Club of Detroit to the nation's top collegiate point guard in women's Division I basketball ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Lieberman_Award

Reaction Score
In the world of collegiate guards, I'll take the unflappable floor general, with the gaudy 3pt shooting percentage, the ability leave ANYONE and EVERYONE in the dust on the fast break, blows past posterized defenders as if they were glued to the hardwood, dishes to her mates with the best of em', turns the ball over once, or twice every calender year, disrupts defenses with both the steal and the deny coverage that frustrates opposing players, drains her foul shots, possess an award winning smile and does nothing but win "champeenships".

The experts can award whoever they choose.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Count me in the "I don't care" group!

ALL the POY awards ( in every category) can go to anyone not on the UCONN team as long as we are winning national championships.

I always found team awards more important than individual ones ;)

I know they have similar awards on the men's sides...... and I think Frank Kamisky won most of them. And to be honest..... I didnt give it a passing thought... cause in the end...... Duke ended up as National Champs. :D They may even have a national award for the best guard or PG in the country....... not sure who won the award..... but the best PG in the country also was the one who garned Final 4 MOP :cool:

Reaction Score
Yeah whatever!!! MoJeff has 3 national titles (count 'em) with sights on a 4th!!! That is sufficient

Reaction Score
I know they have similar awards on the men's sides. and I think Frank Kamisky won most of them. And to be honest..... I didnt give it a passing thought... cause in the end. Duke ended up as National Champs. :D They may even have a national award for the best guard or PG in the country.. not sure who won the award..... but the best PG in the country also was the one who garned Final 4 MOP :cool:
BTW congrats on Duke's NC

Reaction Score
I know they have similar awards on the men's sides. and I think Frank Kamisky won most of them. And to be honest..... I didnt give it a passing thought... cause in the end. Duke ended up as National Champs. :D They may even have a national award for the best guard or PG in the country.. not sure who won the award..... but the best PG in the country also was the one who garned Final 4 MOP :cool:

Breanna Stewart?:D

Reaction Score
Agreed. The charmed life of some UCONN fans.... You guys just won a national championship and the source of the OPs outrage is the fact that a rather meaningless award was given to a player that didn't play for their Team...
Hey! Whoa!! We want it ALL and we want it NOW!! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34