Sports announcer Leah Secondo | The Boneyard

Sports announcer Leah Secondo

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched the Elon vs Drexel matchup (hoping they showed a close up of the students in the crowd as my son was there) and it turned out to be a pretty good game, for a couple of mid-majors. The sportscasters were Leah Secondo and Georgetown grad Monica McNutt and they were good. Listening, I remembered how I liked Secondo as an announcer and wondered why she was doing games like Elon vs Drexel for FoxSports1 rather than ESPN. Anyone know? I thought she and McNutt were very enjoyable.

Just a side note - I've yet to see any women's basketball game this season where UConn didn't come up in the conversation. Secondo and McNutt were talking briefly about the Huskies and the surprising streak and I enjoyed McNutt's comment, "Ooooh, I miss the days of the Big East".

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I hesitate to suggest it, but could she be too bland for the more flamboyant high profile gigs?

I too have heard her do a lot of games over the years and I can't think of anything negative about her - but I can't really remember much at all (which isn't a bad thing where the play by play person is involved).

While she does do a few more high profile games, I think Brenda van Langen, who does both play by play and color as needed, is another excellent announcer who isn't trying to be a personality.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
FoxSport isn't chopped liver as far as jobs go, and it sure seems like they are expanding their presence in the WCBB business which is good - but ESPN seems to have sowed up most of the high profile conferences at this point, so the pickings are quite limited.

Reaction Score
I've always thought she was terrific going back to her Ch. 8 days in New Haven. She had a prominent roll in the video just posted on the 'Yard of 1991 UConn BB (Mens and Women's) season recap. She's a Conn. native and as of a few years ago was still local - a friend of mine was inducted into the Conn. Field Hockey Hall of Fame and Leah was the MC and she was as personable,knowledgable and professional as ever. It is a pleasure to watch her work in ANY capacity !!

Reaction Score
wondered why she was doing games like Elon vs Drexel for FoxSports1 rather than ESPN. Anyone know?

One thing I've always been curious about is how exactly contracts work in the sports announcing business. Some people are definitely contracted with a certain network like ESPN - Lawson, Lobo, GG -- and work exclusively for them. Others seem to have more of a free lance arrangement. Before this year you would hear Debbie Antonelli on both espn and non-espn games for example.

Some of it I suspect has to do with geography. It's cheaper if the announcing crew is located in a certain area, and then espn/fox has much lower travel costs. This is why you'd always hear Carolyn peck on SEC games (she lives in TN) and Antonelli on the AcC (Carolina).

Perhaps Secondo lives in an area where espn already has coverage?

No idea. I'm just saying, for me, I wish I knew more about how these arrangements work.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Does Gus Johnson ever do women's games? That I'd like to hear. Maybe in the Elite Eight.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Jay Bilas did one of the Final Fours, don't remember which one, and he was excellent - even if he is a Dookie. I wish he did more women's games.

My husband remembers one line from the game Bilas announced. It was a UConn vs Tennessee game and the line was - "Tennessee came to play but UConn came to fight".

Reaction Score
Jay Bilas did one of the Final Fours, don't remember which one, and he was excellent - even if he is a Dookie. I wish he did more women's games.

My husband remembers one line from the game Bilas announced. It was a UConn vs Tennessee game and the line was - "Tennessee came to play but UConn came to fight".

It was Bilas first year at espn. 2000 I'm pretty sure. After that he got moved to the men's game.
Yes he was beyond excellent.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
It was Bilas first year at espn. 2000 I'm pretty sure. After that he got moved to the men's game.
Yes he was beyond excellent.
As color analyst? For the 2000 NC game it was Mike Patrick and Ann Meyers-Drysdale.

Reaction Score
As color analyst? For the 2000 NC game it was Mike Patrick and Ann Meyers-Drysdale.
He was like Lobo or Lawson - sometimes studio analyst, sometimes color on a game.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I hesitate to suggest it, but could she be too bland for the more flamboyant high profile gigs?

I too have heard her do a lot of games over the years and I can't think of anything negative about her - but I can't really remember much at all (which isn't a bad thing where the play by play person is involved).

While she does do a few more high profile games, I think Brenda van Langen, who does both play by play and color as needed, is another excellent announcer who isn't trying to be a personality.
I usually MUTE most of the games I watch. Some(many) announcers like to try and tell the listeners "how much they know." I don't care about that. If you know the game you can watch it without any comments. When you are in attendance at a game, do you need someone to tell you what is happening??

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yesterday I watched the Elon vs Drexel matchup (hoping they showed a close up of the students in the crowd as my son was there) and it turned out to be a pretty good game, for a couple of mid-majors. The sportscasters were Leah Secondo and Georgetown grad Monica McNutt and they were good. Listening, I remembered how I liked Secondo as an announcer and wondered why she was doing games like Elon vs Drexel for FoxSports1 rather than ESPN. Anyone know? I thought she and McNutt were very enjoyable.

Just a side note - I've yet to see any women's basketball game this season where UConn didn't come up in the conversation. Secondo and McNutt were talking briefly about the Huskies and the surprising streak and I enjoyed McNutt's comment, "Ooooh, I miss the days of the Big East".
McNutt was a Tough Nut! She helped give us a very, very tough Regional game at Temple in Maya's senior season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom