Spike Lee's documentary, "Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown to Off the Wall" | The Boneyard

Spike Lee's documentary, "Michael Jackson's Journey From Motown to Off the Wall"

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Somehow I had never even heard of this recent documentary by Spike Lee until a friend told me about it last week. I rented it from iTunes this past weekend and thought it was a really good watch. Does a good job chronicling everything from the start of the Jackson 5 up to Off the Wall, and then takes you track by track through Off the Wall, including interesting commentary from diverse sources such as Kobe Bryant, Rosie Perez, Mark Ronson and ?uestlove about the influence of Michael Jackson, and that album in particular, on them. Lots of good input from Barry Gordy, the other Jacksons, Quincy Jones and several others throughout.

Highly recommended both for the music and the cultural/historic importance. As the movie shows, the crazy success of Thriller makes many people forget just how great and groundbreaking Off the Wall was, and what a milestone it was for Michael Jackson.

More than anything, the movie really helps you appreciate the combination of insane talent matched by insane drive that resulted in Michael Jackson's unprecedented success.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Off the wall is one of the greatest Funk albums ever made. It deserves to be known as such.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Off the wall is one of the greatest Funk albums ever made. It deserves to be known as such.
One of the interesting insights imo was a commentary about "Rock with You," and how masterful it was in making a fast-paced song seem slow at the same time because of the tempo at which he sang it. I never really thought about it that way before, but listening to it again with that thought in mind I can appreciate the fast-slow dynamic, as well as the level of difficulty it took to achieve that.

I'm also still a huge sucker for the Jackson 5 material. Amazing how timeless it is. "I Want You Back" is still a staple of New Orleans brass bands even today; I usually hear brass covers of it at least a couple times each visit, and it always makes everyone happy.

Reaction Score
I need to check this out. Spike Lee can be a little annoying and preachy but he is definitely a talented director. We'll never see another talent like Michael Jackson, it's a shame he was so effed up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
One of the interesting insights imo was a commentary about "Rock with You," and how masterful it was in making a fast-paced song seem slow at the same time because of the tempo at which he sang it. I never really thought about it that way before, but listening to it again with that thought in mind I can appreciate the fast-slow dynamic, as well as the level of difficulty it took to achieve that.

I'm also still a huge sucker for the Jackson 5 material. Amazing how timeless it is. "I Want You Back" is still a staple of New Orleans brass bands even today; I usually hear brass covers of it at least a couple times each visit, and it always makes everyone happy.

not only tempo, but from a musician standpoint that is a very very interesting song construction Harmonically. Close chord harmony where the 2nd's are substituted for the roots with some suspensions in there. It hangs together really nice. Very impeccably written. I always enjoy playing that song when called on to do so.

I enjoy Don't stop till you get enough too. For all different reasons though. That is a funk throw down and has a "sounds simple but actually very tough" syncopated guitar hook ala Nile Rogers (who is the king of that). Drummers love me because I don't treat it as a throwaway and botch the syncopation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I need to check this out. Spike Lee can be a little annoying and preachy but he is definitely a talented director. We'll never see another talent like Michael Jackson, it's a shame he was so effed up.
Lee barely makes an appearance. I think he's only in one segment, and very briefly at that. And he's not heavy handed or preachy here at all; he lets the footage and interviews do the talking.

As for Michael Jackson, I think he flew too close to the sun. His talent was otherworldly.

Reaction Score
Lee barely makes an appearance. I think he's only in one segment, and very briefly at that. And he's not heavy handed or preachy here at all; he lets the footage and interviews do the talking.

As for Michael Jackson, I think he flew too close to the sun. His talent was otherworldly.
Joe Jackson did a number on him.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
not only tempo, but from a musician standpoint that is a very very interesting song construction Harmonically. Close chord harmony where the 2nd's are substituted for the roots with some suspensions in there. It hangs together really nice. Very impeccably written. I always enjoy playing that song when called on to do so.

I enjoy Don't stop till you get enough too. For all different reasons though. That is a funk throw down and has a "sounds simple but actually very tough" guitar hook ala Nile Rogers who is the king of that.
I also love "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough." I think it was ?uestlove who commented that even the most stoic guys start moving as soon as they hear that bass line.

Thanks for even more interesting insights on "Rock With You" from a musician's standpoint. I like to think I have a very good ear for knowing what works and what doesn't musically, but I always want to know more about why.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom