Sox/Yankees? | The Boneyard

Sox/Yankees?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is only April but either team could win the AL East. Yankees are missing Texiera (Jeter may not be a factor) and the Sox are missing Ortiz.If these 2 play to form when they come back it could be an interesting season.
The Tampa Bay lineup looks anemic and Toronto has major injuries. We could see an old time Sox Yankees race.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It is only April but either team could win the AL East. Yankees are missing Texiera (Jeter may not be a factor) and the Sox are missing Ortiz.If these 2 play to form when they come back it could be an interesting season.
The Tampa Bay lineup looks anemic and Toronto has major injuries. We could see an old time Sox Yankees race.

Tex's injury was to his arm. I wouldn't expect a full return to form in regard to power (same with the Grandyman). I could be wrong, as it's happened before. I'd expect Ortiz to start slow as well. He's closer to Mid-february form as opposed to mid-season.

I'm just happy that the Red Sox are fun to watch again.

Reaction Score

Granderson may help when he comes back too?:eek:......although Ben Francisco has been excellent......with his .000 BA........smoke and mirrors thus far..........Youk, Wells and Hafner have been very good!

Reaction Score
Granderson may help when he comes back too?:eek:......although Ben Francisco has been excellent......with his .000 BA........smoke and mirrors thus far..........Youk, Wells and Hafner have been very good!

Since 2008 in the Longo/Price era, Tampa has won the third most games in MLB trailing only the Yanks and Cards. I think its a bit soon to count them out.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Since 2008 in the Longo/Price era, Tampa has won the third most games in MLB trailing only the Yanks and Cards. I think its a bit soon to count them out.

They had Shields and Garza too. Tampa has historically been about pitching and defense. A staff ERA of 4.14 and a WHIP of 1.31 ain't gonna cut it, when you're OPSing .613 as a team.

Alas it is early. No one should be getting fitted for World Series rings just yet.

Reaction Score

It's definitely too soon but you have to admit they're lineup looks horrendous offensively thus far......people are having it easy pitching against that lineup and even when they were a bit better they were no hit more than anyone........if Joyce doesn't start hitting they better find someone else or Longoria won't see anything he can drive for a long time!

Reaction Score
It's definitely too soon but you have to admit they're lineup looks horrendous offensively thus far......people are having it easy pitching against that lineup and even when they were a bit better they were no hit more than anyone........if Joyce doesn't start hitting they better find someone else or Longoria won't see anything he can drive for a long time!

The offense has been terrible. The baseball gods have been brutal. Every call, bounce and roll has gone against them so far. The mojo has got to turn around. I hope Scott can give them something at DH when he return. Myers will be up at some point. I don't like to put pressure on rookies but all reports are that he is legit. Some writers choose SP Chris Archer as ROY he is a nice card to hold at AAA. Lots of baseball to be played.

Reaction Score
Tex's injury was to his arm. I wouldn't expect a full return to form in regard to power (same with the Grandyman). I could be wrong, as it's happened before. I'd expect Ortiz to start slow as well. He's closer to Mid-february form as opposed to mid-season.

I'm just happy that the Red Sox are fun to watch again.
When you look back at the Dodger trade, at this point it looks terrible. The Dodgers picked up Gonzalez .407, Crawford .375, Punto .400 and Beckett 3.26 ERA. The Sox are left with only two players from the trade. De La Rosa is struggling at Pawtucket 11.57 ERA while Webster has been solid in his first two starts 0.90 ERA.

But I am not suggesting that we go back. I like the team as constituted and the results have been terrific.

I am also surprised at how well the Yankees are doing with all of their injuries. Are they lucky or is Girardi a genius?

Reaction Score
With Jeter out until after the All Star break, the Yanks will have to rely on Nix and Nunez. This is one weird year!

Reaction Score
With Jeter out until after the All Star break, the Yanks will have to rely on Nix and Nunez. This is one weird year!

They actually need to make a move of some sort...........love Nunez but Girardi does not

Reaction Score
When you look back at the Dodger trade, at this point it looks terrible. The Dodgers picked up Gonzalez .407, Crawford .375, Punto .400 and Beckett 3.26 ERA. The Sox are left with only two players from the trade. De La Rosa is struggling at Pawtucket 11.57 ERA while Webster has been solid in his first two starts 0.90 ERA.

But I am not suggesting that we go back. I like the team as constituted and the results have been terrific.

I am also surprised at how well the Yankees are doing with all of their injuries. Are they lucky or is Girardi a genius?
That trade was the best thing the sox have done in a long time. They knew they were giving up two potentials all stars in Crawford and gonzo, but they needed to change the direction of the franchise and they needed to do it immediately.

Beckett was a cancer in the locker room. He had to go.

It wasn't all about what they got back, though I do think Webster and de la rosa will be good, it was addition by subtraction and they freed up so much money that was improperly allocated. It was a great move and you are starting to see the results on the field.

Reaction Score
That trade was the best thing the sox have done in a long time. They knew they were giving up two potentials all stars in Crawford and gonzo, but they needed to change the direction of the franchise and they needed to do it immediately.

It wasn't all about what they got back, though I do think Webster and de la rosa will be good, it was addition by subtraction and they freed up so much money that was improperly allocated. It was a great move and you are starting to see the results on the field.

"great move" would be a bit overstating it......I mean Napoli or Gonzo? That's not close at the plate and especially not in the field.......Crawford was never a fit for whatever reason but is a good player and certainly with the results thus far would be better than Nava w/o a doubt.......Beckett? can't blame you guys for trading that mushroom cap!!

Always depends on what you get from the "potential" of the young guys you received! Eventually we'll know......

Reaction Score
Would Crawford have those results in Boston? Is what Crawford was at 20 million a year better the Nava and Bradley at their respective prices for the next few years?

Obviously gonzo is better player then Napoli, I realize the Red Sox gave up "better" players, but the money they freed up to redo the bullpen, add Dempster, make moves in the future and to completely change the clubhouse makes it a great move in my opinion in the long run.

Punto has six hits this year, all singles, and Beckett has had 1 great start. So they really havnt done a ton this year.

Reaction Score
Would Crawford have those results in Boston? Is what Crawford was at 20 million a year better the Nava and Bradley at their respective prices for the next few years?

Obviously gonzo is better player then Napoli, I realize the Red Sox gave up "better" players, but the money they freed up to redo the bullpen, add Dempster, make moves in the future and to completely change the clubhouse makes it a great move in my opinion in the long run.

Punto has six hits this year, all singles, and Beckett has had 1 great start. So they really havnt done a ton this year.
Sometimes trades end up benefiting both teams. At this point I would say that the Red Sox and the Dodgers both improved their teams. Down the road we will get a better feel for it. Just as an aside, Rubby De La Rosa had another bad outing yesterday. He has been hit hard in AAA and is limited to at most 50 pitches a game. Webster has been solid.

I thought last year the Red Sox set a new high for injuries to key players but the Yankees with the latest on Jeter have surpassed them.

Reaction Score
"great move" would be a bit overstating it......I mean Napoli or Gonzo? That's not close at the plate and especially not in the field.......Crawford was never a fit for whatever reason but is a good player and certainly with the results thus far would be better than Nava w/o a doubt.......Beckett? can't blame you guys for trading that mushroom cap!!

Always depends on what you get from the "potential" of the young guys you received! Eventually we'll know......
The objective of the trade was to dump players and salary and they accomplished that and any productive players they may have received in return was a bonus. Would have loved for the Sox to keep Gonzalez but he was probably the key to unloading the rest of the players.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The objective of the trade was to dump players and salary and they accomplished that and any productive players they may have received in return was a bonus. Would have loved for the Sox to keep Gonzalez but he was probably the key to unloading the rest of the players.
Rumor was he was a very vocal disenter in the clubhouse. It would not surprise me if Napoli out performs Gonzo He will certainly be a better value a 1yr/$5mil vs the remainder of Gonzo's. Shame really.

Fun to watch the Olde Towne Team this year. Will Middlebrooks got a large series of high fives in the Yankee Series for a couple long fly balls!!! They didn't drive in any runs, and they didn't end up with him on base. THey were just long fly outs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When you look back at the Dodger trade, at this point it looks terrible. The Dodgers picked up Gonzalez .407, Crawford .375, Punto .400 and Beckett 3.26 ERA.

The Sox are 11-4 while LA is below .500. Do the Dodgers have clubhouse issues?

Reaction Score
Rumor was he was a very vocal disenter in the clubhouse. It would not surprise me if Napoli out performs Gonzo He will certainly be a better value a 1yr/$5mil vs the remainder of Gonzo's. Shame really.

Fun to watch the Olde Towne Team this year. Will Middlebrooks got a large series of high fives in the Yankee Series for a couple long fly balls!!! They didn't drive in any runs, and they didn't end up with him on base. THey were just long fly outs.
I don't know what Gonzalez was like in Boston but I do know that he was liked by his teamates in San Diego and that comes forst hand from one of his Padres teamates. Last years Sox team had a disease and it started with the manager. There probably a lot of Sox players on this team who weren't too happy last year.

Reaction Score

True but can also be addition by subtraction which may also be case here.

Word is that starting pitcher Allen Webster who they got in deal has makings of real good starter...

Reaction Score
I don't know what Gonzalez was like in Boston but I do know that he was liked by his teamates in San Diego and that comes forst hand from one of his Padres teamates. Last years Sox team had a disease and it started with the manager. There probably a lot of Sox players on this team who weren't too happy last year.
I live in San Diego and I can tell you that although the fans had great respect for his skills, many of them felt that he was lazy and never hustled. It was surprising how many cheered when he was traded. If the Sox had never made that trade, Anthony Rizzo would be playing first and we would still have Casey Kelly (yes I know he is injured) for next year.

The disease that the Sox had last year was present before Bobby Valentine arrived. Bobby just threw gasoline on the fire.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The disease that the Sox had last year was present before Bobby Valentine arrived. Bobby just threw gasoline on the fire.

Sox fans owe Bobby V. He truly took one for the team. He was brought in to shake up the status quo. He was right about Youk. But he was toast the second Pedroia said, "Maybe that's how they do it Japan" and no one above him had his back. When he got canned he took the rest of the clubhouse stench that didn't leave in the LA trade with him and allowed the franchise to reboot.

Reaction Score

Hey, here's an idea... How about not handing the team to ducking Bobby Valentine ? Maybe someone not intent on airing the team's dirty laundry in public would have helped. That would have been a VASTLY better move. Unreal. Right about Youk, eh ? Yeah, he's done, clearly. Fung-wah indeed.

The amount of talent the Sox gave up to "change direction" is criminal. They ought to have slashed ticket prices in half.

Reaction Score
And FYI, the Yankees are looking to get Jeter, Texeira, Granderson, and A-Rod back sometime between now and the middle of the season. And they're playing with what is effectively a AAA catcher.

Reaction Score
Hey, here's an idea... How about not handing the team to ducking Bobby Valentine ? Maybe someone not intent on airing the team's dirty laundry in public would have helped. That would have been a VASTLY better move. Unreal. Right about Youk, eh ? Yeah, he's done, clearly. Fung-wah indeed.

The amount of talent the Sox gave up to "change direction" is criminal. They ought to have slashed ticket prices in half.
Youk is coming back to what he is, he had a great couple weeks to start the year but his average has crashed over the last 8 days and he is hurt again, shocker.

But a 34 year old 3b at 12 mill a year is a lot better then a 37 year old 3b at 29 mill a year. So hey, it was an upgrade for the yanks.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Anyone they handed the keys to would have had a tough go after Tito. Bringing in, than getting rid of Bobby V helped reset the franchise. Don't know how things could be VASTLY better for the Red Sox than they are right now. Sox fans look forward, guys like you are always looking back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom