Sox sign Grady Sizemore | The Boneyard

Sox sign Grady Sizemore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sizemore was Jacoby before Jacoby was Jacoby...Hasn't played in the majors for 2 years, but at $750,000, this is an acceptable risk for a large market club for potentially an extremely high reward. As a 4th Outfielder at age 32, I think its a great signing.

Reaction Score
Sizemore was Jacoby before Jacoby was Jacoby...Hasn't played in the majors for 2 years, but at $750,000, this is an acceptable risk for a large market club for potentially an extremely high reward. As a 4th Outfielder at age 32, I think its a great signing.
I've got some good news for you. He's only 31, just one year older than Jacoby. He won't turn 32 until next August.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like to think I'm not superstitious, but do the Sox really need another Grady?

Reaction Score
I'd like to think I'm not superstitious, but do the Sox really need another Grady?
I assume you're referring to Grady Little and not Grady Hatton. Grady Little had a very good team in 2003. He fielded a line-up in which every starter had at least 12 home runs. But the pitching was pretty bad with the single exception of Pedro Martinez. They experimented with Byung-Hyun Kim as the closer but he blew up sometime mid-summer and they tried to turn him into a starter. On that fateful October day in Yankee Stadium, Pedro held the Yankees at bay for seven innings. When he started to get hit in the eighth, Grady went out to talk to him and Pedro assured him that he could get out of it. He didn't and Grady should have pulled him but the decision IMHO was not as black and white as everyone said it was.

It was clear that the Sox needed another starter and a closer. They filled those needs and the rest is history.

Reaction Score
Sizemore was a young phenom ticketed for stardom whose health broke down way too early. All sorts of major and minor injuries...

Too bad....coulda been a star.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I assume you're referring to Grady Little and not Grady Hatton. Grady Little had a very good team in 2003. He fielded a line-up in which every starter had at least 12 home runs. But the pitching was pretty bad with the single exception of Pedro Martinez. They experimented with Byung-Hyun Kim as the closer but he blew up sometime mid-summer and they tried to turn him into a starter. On that fateful October day in Yankee Stadium, Pedro held the Yankees at bay for seven innings. When he started to get hit in the eighth, Grady went out to talk to him and Pedro assured him that he could get out of it. He didn't and Grady should have pulled him but the decision IMHO was not as black and white as everyone said it was.

It was clear that the Sox needed another starter and a closer. They filled those needs and the rest is history.
Well, almost. Don't forget the fatal defensive flaw at Short Stop. Garciaparra was on his way to Cooperstown until he got hit on the wrist by the Orioles' Al Reyes. Then he missed a good part of 2004 with an ankle injury, which limited his range. I loved Nomah, but if trading him led directly to a Red Sox World Series Title, so be it. It was a cheap price to pay.

Reaction Score
Well, almost. Don't forget the fatal defensive flaw at Short Stop. Garciaparra was on his way to Cooperstown until he got hit on the wrist by the Orioles' Al Reyes. Then he missed a good part of 2004 with an ankle injury, which limited his range. I loved Nomah, but if trading him led directly to a Red Sox World Series Title, so be it. It was a cheap price to pay.

Pretty sure that blown groin from 'roiding took a toll too……..;)

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that blown groin from 'roiding took a toll too……..;)
I'm not the roid fanatic that you are but have to agree that Sizemore might be the product and victim of meds. Would have liked the Sox to go after Chris Denorfia from Southing ton and the Padres. He can play all the outfield positions and hits about .280. If Sizemore is a mistake, he is a cheap one.

Reaction Score
I'm not the roid fanatic that you are but have to agree that Sizemore might be the product and victim of meds. Would have liked the Sox to go after Chris Denorfia from Southing ton and the Padres. He can play all the outfield positions and hits about .280. If Sizemore is a mistake, he is a cheap one.

I was talking about Nomar but agree on Sizemore too…….he suddenly had the Lenny Dykstra look! But hey a couple others worked out for you guys last year in Napoli and Gomes……..give it a run.

We have Roberts too……..guessing the same. All these guys breakdown in a pattern…...

Husky25

Reaction Score
Here's the difference: barring injury, Sizemore is a 4th or 5th outfielder on the Red Sox. He's expected to play maybe twice a week. Aren't the Yankees expecting Roberts to start the lion's share at second base?

Reaction Score

It is a good risk/reward signing. He's not guaranteed a spot on the Opening Day roster, so the Sox can assess what they have in spring training. He could conceivably earn up to $6M, but if he hits all his incentives, Boston will be very happy. On the other hand, microfracture surgery on your knees has a pretty spotty success rate - see Greg Oden. There's a reason he came cheaply.

Reaction Score
Here's the difference: barring injury, Sizemore is a 4th or 5th outfielder on the Red Sox. He's expected to play maybe twice a week. Aren't the Yankees expecting Roberts to start the lion's share at second base?

I think a Roberts/Kelly Johnson lefty right platoon will be there but who's playing 3rd? Funny they are better offensively even losing Cano but still have question marks……..

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think a Roberts/Kelly Johnson lefty right platoon will be there but who's playing 3rd? Funny they are better offensively even losing Cano but still have question marks……..
I heard that Johnson is supposed to play 3rd.

Reaction Score
Yeah heard he may play some there too…….they love his bat for the Stadium but I'm not sold yet. Still a weak average but who knows…….
If he does play third, it will be a new position for him. He has played third a total of 16 games in his career. With Jeter's limited range, the left side of the Yankees infield will be pretty weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom