Sox make offer to Lester and Sandoval | The Boneyard

Sox make offer to Lester and Sandoval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Lester decision will take some time (Theo/Cubs involved) but the Sandoval deal of 5/$80mm is close to being done according to Cafardo. Will have to see how accurate this report is.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Twitter people are saying that the SF article is wrong and that the Giants are still in play. Giants reportedly offered 5/90 so if the Sox win, they are in for more than that, which is overpaying for this guy unless he gets in shape.

Note: on Twitter, that includes Sean McAdam, who knows his stuff.

Reaction Score
Would love to see the Sox pick up both but I pretty skeptical about it. First, if Theo is involved with Lester, it doesn't bode well for the Sox. Theo is far more aggressive than Ben who has a tendency to watch things happen rather than make things happen. And, I think Pablo will stick with the Giants unless the Sox give him an offer he can't refuse and that is unlikely too.

I'm afraid that Ben will chase Shields whose best years might be behind him. Plus he is not worthy of his name "Big Game James" anymore. And if the Yankees don't lock up Headley, Ben might go after him too. Unfortunately, Chase is already over-paid at $10M, strikes out way too much and has had one good year out of seven. I don't think he is the solution.

I should add that I am often wrong and I hope that this is another one of those times.

Reaction Score
Would love to see the Sox pick up both but I pretty skeptical about it. First, if Theo is involved with Lester, it doesn't bode well for the Sox. Theo is far more aggressive than Ben who has a tendency to watch things happen rather than make things happen. And, I think Pablo will stick with the Giants unless the Sox give him an offer he can't refuse and that is unlikely too.

I'm afraid that Ben will chase Shields whose best years might be behind him. Plus he is not worthy of his name "Big Game James" anymore. And if the Yankees don't lock up Headley, Ben might go after him too. Unfortunately, Chase is already over-paid at $10M, strikes out way too much and has had one good year out of seven. I don't think he is the solution.

I should add that I am often wrong and I hope that this is another one of those times.

Please Ben, take a shot at Chase Headley!! Slap hitting 3rd basemen aren't in my wish list, could be worst I guess but he's not the hitter he once was so please take him to Fenway.;) Yanks seem very quiet so they may be fine with mediocrity once again, who knows!

Reaction Score
Please Ben, take a shot at Chase Headley!! Slap hitting 3rd basemen aren't in my wish list, could be worst I guess but he's not the hitter he once was so please take him to Fenway.;) Yanks seem very quiet so they may be fine with mediocrity once again, who knows!
Hard to find a 3B with power these days or OF for that matter. The days of 40-50 HRs from the corners may be coming to an end as power numbers are disappearing. Stepped up drug testing may have something to do with it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The price for Sandoval is too high for a guy who's numbers have declined every year and who is very out of shape, with a history of breaking down and missing a lot of games. Let SF have him. The real problem is that there is a shortage of 3B across the league. I'd be thrilled with a Bill Mueller type guy. I really hoped that Ben would sign Lester then use a prospect and maybe Cespedes to land a 3B via trade. That's what we need.

Lester is worth paying at this point. Get it done. Let Panda stay on the west coast.

Reaction Score
The price for Sandoval is too high for a guy who's numbers have declined every year and who is very out of shape, with a history of breaking down and missing a lot of games. Let SF have him. The real problem is that there is a shortage of 3B across the league. I'd be thrilled with a Bill Mueller type guy. I really hoped that Ben would sign Lester then use a prospect and maybe Cespedes to land a 3B via trade. That's what we need.

Lester is worth paying at this point. Get it done. Let Panda stay on the west coast.

Can't disagree with any of your comments.

Bill Mueller was one of Theo's best signings. He was brilliant in the field and at bat. I will never forget his game-tying single that scored Dave Roberts against Mariano Rivera. I wish we could find another Bill Mueller. He averaged only 11 home runs over his career, never stole many bases but was one of our best.

Reaction Score

If the Yanks don't sign Headley, most likely it is Martin Prado (slap hitter!) at 3rd & a rookie slap hitter at 2nd.

Reaction Score

If the Yanks don't sign Headley, most likely it is Martin Prado (slap hitter!) at 3rd & a rookie slap hitter at 2nd.

Reaction Score

I don't give a rats ass about HR's and how they seemed to win games in the past. And "slap hitters" are fine with me as long as they can hit.280/.290/.300 but the Yanks are full of guys who hit .240.......it's a painful team and they did nothing to make it better. They should have traded Gardner, who many times like and could use, and signed Markakis, that's a guy I want on my team. Solid hitter, would hit 7-8 more HR's in the Bronx and is a good RFer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom