Sox focusing on Valentine | The Boneyard

Sox focusing on Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With Dale Sveum out of the picture, the Sox seem to be turning their attention to Bobby Valentine. I like it. Valentine has the experience and is less likely to get pushed around by the front office.

Reaction Score
Be a very interesting pick, and a kick to the b**** for the new GM, overruling him on his first big decision. Valentine definitely is not Cherington's guy.

Reaction Score
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. I pray he goes to the Sox, just so I can sit back and watch the show. I promise you it will end badly.

Reaction Score
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. I pray he goes to the Sox, just so I can sit back and watch the show. I promise you it will end badly.

Ah, Deep - I didn't say it was a "good" hire, I said it would be "interesting." ;)

Reaction Score
With Dale Sveum out of the picture, the Sox seem to be turning their attention to Bobby Valentine. I like it. Valentine has the experience and is less likely to get pushed around by the front office.
Please, no Valentine in Boston.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I'm surprised. Met fans I know thought he did a good job with the Mets. What was your beef?

Reaction Score
I still don't think Bobby V will be the manager. I think this is all hype to get the vociferous Sox fan base riled up for a much less enthusiastic pick, much like Terry Francona was when they originally got him. The Sox will eventually do the right thing.

Reaction Score
Two positive articles in the Globe today from Dan Shaughnessy and Peter Abraham on Bobby. I think he is in and I am looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
Two positive articles in the Globe today from Dan Shaughnessy and Peter Abraham on Bobby. I think he is in and I am looking forward to it.
Cherington said Valentine needs to mature. If the Sox hire him it lets Cherington know exactly where he stands which is nowhere. It sounds as if Lucchino is calling the shots if they hire Valentine and Cherington has been releated to Assistant GM with a GM title.

Reaction Score
Cherington said Valentine needs to mature. If the Sox hire him it lets Cherington know exactly where he stands which is nowhere. It sounds as if Lucchino is calling the shots if they hire Valentine and Cherington has been releated to Assistant GM with a GM title.
Where did he say that Valentine needs to "mature"? I don't doubt he's not Ben's first pick but that's a pretty strong statement you're putting on him.
I say hire Bobby V. He's a quality in-game manager, he'll do well here for a handful of years and then flame out, just as he did in Texas, Japan and New York. With the talent Boston has next year, I want a good baseball mind in the dugout to help push them across the finish line and quite frankly to clean up the clubhouse a little bit.
John Farrell isn't walking through that door (at least as of now).

Reaction Score
I still don't think Bobby V will be the manager. I think this is all hype to get the vociferous Sox fan base riled up for a much less enthusiastic pick, much like Terry Francona was when they originally got him. The Sox will eventually do the right thing.
And what is the right thing?

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs also says that Bobby is the right choice. How many managers have lasted in Boston or anywhere for that matter? I hope they make the decision soon so that they can get on with player searches. They need to find a closer (Heath Bell?) and a 4 and 5 starter. If they can do that, they could be favorites again.

Reaction Score
What did the Mets get for Bell?

Mets traded Heath Bell and Royce Ring for OF Ben Johnson (Who had 27 major league at bats after the trade) and Reliever Jon Adkins (Who pitched 3.2 innings in the majors after). Another Met miracle!

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
I wouldn't hate the move, but I kind of what a former Sox player as the manager. I know Rich Gedman is currently the hitting coach for Low-A Lowell, as I got to know him a bit over the summer working for the Tigers, but I was thinking one of the somewhat recent players...I know it seems wacky, but what about a Gabe Kapler, or Mike Lowell. Throw in Nomar as a hitting coach and Pedro as pitching coach???

Reaction Score
Spin, spin, spin.

Shaughnessy's opinion, I can understand, has some meaning. But Abraham ? Please. Nothing but a Red Sox fanboy turned blogger / "journalist". He is just parroting whatever positive spin is coming from the Sox themselves.

Next you'll be telling me that Peter Gammons thinks this is a great move as proof.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess how the process works it would be as follows: Cherington makes his recommendation but Lucchino must approve. At this point, Cherington has not recommended Valentine. I think it is only a matter of time. If he recommends Lamont, Lucchino will probable not approve him. Ultimately both men must agree or Ben will be on his way out.

By the way, I heard a rumor that Peter Gammons is endorsing Bobby Valentine.

Reaction Score
Now we have Callahan at the Boston Herald not only endorsing Valentine, but talking about how this is "Lucchino's Team" and minimizing Ben Cherington. You're really going to hire a GM and then 2 weeks later tell that new GM to STFU while you stick him with a manager he doesn't want ?

If I was Cherington, I'd quit if they forced Valentine on me and go work with Theo in Chicago.

It is amazing how dysfunctional the entire sports scene is in Boston.

Reaction Score
And yes, Gammons has indeed been out shilling for Valentine. The best part of it is that clearly he knows this is a swipe at Cherington, so he is as busy talking up Cherington as he is Valentine, to make up for it.

"Cherington is just so awesome that HE is the one that will make this work, despite the fact he doesn't even want to hire Valentine in the first place".

As transparent as glass.

If Lucchino is so "invested" in Cherington, gosh, why not let him hire the manager he wants ?

The funniest part of that whole list of quotes from Gammons is comparing Ryan Madsen and his career 52 saves to Trevor Hoffman. Good lord.

Reaction Score
Don't understand all the people not liking the Bobby V hire. He's a great manager and very likeable, doesn't make me happy as a Yankee fan.

Reaction Score
While it might make the Sox better next year, for instance, long term, that is a disaster move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom