South Carolina Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am a little surprised at the 4th quarter, but Geno knows best. Burn the clock, forget the victory margin.

Stewie and Moriah played all 40 minutes! Kia played 39 minutes! I think Geno wanted to keep those three on the floor but without 'killing' them. They had played so incredibly hard all game long, especially our magnificent Moriah. Taking the air out of the ball in Q4 seemed not so much a strategy to win the game (or maintain the large margin) as much as it reflected his desire to preserve Stewie, Moriah and Kia whose tanks had to be running low. Those three (and Morgan, who played 33 minutes) gave everything they had, every second they were out there. A fantastic effort.

Reaction Score
Stewie and Moriah played all 40 minutes! Kia played 39 minutes! I think Geno wanted to keep those three on the floor but without 'killing' them. They had played so incredibly hard all game long, especially our magnificent Moriah. Taking the air out of the ball in Q4 seemed not so much a strategy to win the game (or maintain the large margin) as much as it reflected his desire to preserve Stewie, Moriah and Kia whose tanks had to be running low. Those three (and Morgan, who played 33 minutes) gave everything they had, every second they were out there. A fantastic effort.
I'm a little surprised Saniya didn't get some time.

Reaction Score
The game was not a blowout. Would SC have won if Wilson doesn't get hurt? What if, as someone already mentioned, the phantom foul against Morgan hadn't been called? Morgan doesn't come out. Wilson plays however many minutes. UConn wins.

Might not be considered a blowout (although UConn was up by 20 at one point) but it was a pretty easy victory considering it was against the #2 team in the nation at their place.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
This game said a lot about the rotation for the tourney, I think. Granted Geno may wanted KLS and Collier to experience the atmosphere of a big time game, but no Chong and no Butler.

Maybe, or maybe Chong's knee was acting up again. OR they didn't like the matchups. It's often about matchups. And it's also about fouls. If you see more fouls on Mo then Chong plays obviously (IF she is healthy).

P.S. : It may say more about the current rotation for the final four. Before that I think everyone keeps playing. And I wouldn't rule out Butler if she make a bit more progress between now and then. Always nice to have a big banger give you a couple of minutes if the situation warrants it.

Reaction Score
i think gabby eventually calmed down, but our sophs and fresh looked terrible and are not ready for the big time. we wont need them except gabby i think needs to be ready this year. next year, we are in trouble.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
i think gabby eventually calmed down, but our sophs and fresh looked terrible and are not ready for the big time. we wont need them except gabby i think needs to be ready this year. next year, we are in trouble.

They looked "Terrible"? I couldn't disagree more. Lou had some huge steals and played solid D she didn't get the benefit of the doubt much for the zebras. The only other freshman who played was Collier. Nurse was fine, they've said over and over she does a ton of things that don't show in the box score. I guess you want to keep seeing those 20 point games from her? We had 3 players in doubles and Nurse added 2 big threes. We played the #2 team and some of their upperclassmen looked terrible. I'm pretty happy with our team. As for next year, let's enjoy this year and let the future take care of itself. It always does.

Reaction Score
Male ESPN basketball commentators are too often very disrespectful of WCBB. So it was a pleasure tonight to hear
Jayson Williams and Seth Greenberg wax poetic, literally raving on ESPN's Basketball Tonight about Stewart as a generational star, UConn's program as the greatest ever, how enjoyable it was watching this great team play hard 40 minutes, and acknowledging Geno as the best coach in WCBB. They spoke admiringly (for five minutes) about how difficult it is to motivate college athletes, every game, especially against lesser teams- and UConn gets it done- mentioning UConn's demanding practices and the coaches and players' unwillingness to accept anything but their best efforts, every game, always playing unselfishly, trying to be their best and get better every day.

(BTW- UConn/SC game replay on tonight @1pm on the SEC Network.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at the box score, the two teams really didn't play that much differently from each other. I would definitely not call this a blow out, and their best player was hurt in the 2nd quarter.

But they were down by nine / or eleven because KLS scored in their own home gym in which they got Tuck in foul trouble in the 1st half with at least one bad call / had the home cooking. What can they say? Wouldn';t you agree once Wilson was out, nothing mattered that much, USC had no shot to win and the game will not be played same next time on both sides? What difference does it make other than your viewing pleasure (and mine:)) that UCONN slowed the game down? I'l say again and even they said halftime and Doris... said game is over with no Wilson comeback. When she came back the fork was already deep inside.

So what did USC prove at home with the home cooking they got?

But I do know a couple of things from this game; Tuck can certainly score in the paint vs their size(That was a question last year) and she can defend Coates, can't she? USC better hope they get the same home cooking next time, right?

Reaction Score

Silly post.

Defense doesn't count and they had nothing to do with that, right? Sure buddy.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Male ESPN basketball commentators are too often very disrespectful of WCBB. So it was a pleasure tonight to hear
Jayson Williams and Seth Greenberg wax poetic, literally raving on ESPN's Basketball Tonight about Stewart as a generational star, UConn's program as the greatest ever, how enjoyable it was watching this great team play hard 40 minutes, and acknowledging Geno as the best coach in WCBB. They spoke admiringly (for five minutes) about how difficult it is to motivate college athletes, every game, especially against lesser teams- and UConn gets it done- mentioning UConn's demanding practices and the coaches and players' unwillingness to accept anything but their best efforts, every game, always playing unselfishly, trying to be their best and get better every day.

(BTW- UConn/SC game replay on tonight @1pm on the SEC Network.)

Thinks for bringing this up. I thought the guys did a great job and yes it was every bit of 5 minutes. Honest commentary about Breanna and the UCONN program. Great comments about GA and what he does in Storrs. Great piece.

I will also say that on SEC Now around midnight (1am for most of the east coast) Nell Fortner and Andy Landers also spoke very well of UCONN and I have to say I really like Landers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Glad Stewie's parents could be in attendance tonight!

Me too. Parents usually make the BIG games. They'll most likely be at the post season tournaments too.

Reaction Score
Maybe, or maybe Chong's knee was acting up again. OR they didn't like the matchups. It's often about matchups. And it's also about fouls. If you see more fouls on Mo then Chong plays obviously (IF she is healthy).

P.S. : It may say more about the current rotation for the final four. Before that I think everyone keeps playing. And I wouldn't rule out Butler if she make a bit more progress between now and then. Always nice to have a big banger give you a couple of minutes if the situation warrants it.
Chong just seems to have any of the confidence she ever had sapped out of her. She'll be needed next year so I hope she can get back to what she can be and that's her not Moriah..

Reaction Score
Chong just seems to have any of the confidence she ever had sapped out of her. She'll be needed next year so I hope she can get back to what she can be and that's her not Moriah..
I think Saniya has looked pretty good this year. Geno said that one day she is great in practice then the next she reverts back to some of her bad habits. Saniya's a junior, so I think she knows the drill at this point.

Reaction Score
That is not an excuse. It was an absolute embarrassment.

You misunderstand my comment. I wasn't making excuses for the cheer, just offering an explanation for why he chose that moment, perhaps without thinking about how it would be perceived by the South Carolina fans. I think most of us here know who was leading the cheer and know that he is as rabid a UConn fan as there is. The cheer, at that moment, may have been ill advised, but I'm also pretty sure there was no malice intended.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed the mutual respect displayed by the players and the coaches after the game. There were several hugs and conversations. Although Dawn has the glare of "Nurse Ratchet" during the game, She really impressed me after the game. I can't wait to see the press conferences.

Yes. Mitchell, Coates, Stewie and Mo were on the Pan Am team last year. So there are some friendships there. Dawn is the U.S. women's assistant coach so she knows Stewie.

Reaction Score
But they were down by nine / or eleven because KLS scored in their own home gym in which they got Tuck in foul trouble in the 1st half with at least one bad call / had the home cooking. What can they say? Wouldn';t you agree once Wilson was out, nothing mattered that much, USC had no shot to win and the game will not be played same next time on both sides? What difference does it make other than your viewing pleasure (and mine:)) that UCONN slowed the game down? I'l say again and even they said halftime and Doris... said game is over with no Wilson comeback. When she came back the fork was already deep inside.

So what did USC prove at home with the home cooking they got?

But I do know a couple of things from this game; Tuck can certainly score in the paint vs their size(That was a question last year) and she can defend Coates, can't she? USC better hope they get the same home cooking next time, right?

Morgan can score on anyone at anytime. Geno said, she's good at everything...including missing layups. If you're big and and don't have quick lateral movement... she'll step back and pop the 3 or drive pass you and finish the layup. If you're quick, but undersized....she'll back you down in the paint to use and abuse you. Pick your poison.

Reaction Score
Coates's one and only field goal is not even two minutes into the game and then the drought sets in. Great job Morgan and company. Let's see if other teams learn from how UCONN guarded her, presuming they have the bodies and/or talent to do so. The key with the weak side help UCOON provided is they shut-off Coates's line of sight to be able to dish it off to the open man, but some of that could be linked to her lack of bball savvy.

Reaction Score
Who says I'm not enjoying it? I enjoyed it thoroughly. But there are some takeaways here, and one of them for me is that the two teams are quite a bit closer than I thought they were. Kudos to Dawn and South Carolina. They've put together a great program and had an awesome crowd and game day experience.

HoopsFan21- - -If Geno and the coaching staff, kept their girls at the level they played the first 25 minutes of the game. UCONN would have won by 35+ points! They had it at 21 points and weren't killing themselves doing it! Then the foot came off the gas and they cruised to the 12 point win!
SoCar showed me nothing, they were a typical SEC school, no offense and a trace of defense! The crowd of 18,000 was great & loud but where- ever UCONN plays it's a HOME GAME!

For all the ESPN publicity, Wilson did little vs Stewie, Tuck shutdown Coates and MoJeff destroyed Mitchell!
SoCar, and the rest of Div. I has a long hard road to get to the level UCONN is at!
I would have liked to see Chong & Butler have some time in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Look at the box score, the two teams really didn't play that much differently from each other. I would definitely not call this a blow out, and their best player was hurt in the 2nd quarter.
Actually, I thought at least at first that South Carolina got more energy when Wilson was out of the game! I think they went on a 5-0 run. Kind of how Notre Dame played without Turner.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

You've got to be kidding with this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul