OT: - Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Sounds like Mike Brey to Saint John's has legs

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No, he said he’s not retiring….Notre Dame put a pretty face on the fact that they were firing him at the end of the year. Honestly, a pretty decent way of handling things.

I feel like Mike Anderson and St. John’s are just the same level. Mike Anderson is the St. John’s of coaches and St. John’s is the Mike Anderson of college programs. Neither of them are suddenly gonna become world beaters if they separate.
I get that, but Anderson is from Alabama, coached at Tulsa, Arkansas and Mizzou. I really think there are coaches that can recruit a lot more effectively in NYC. It won't make St. Johns what they were under Lou, but they can be better than this.

Reaction Score
I mean, a top ten team anywhere is going to draw spectators. That doesn’t mean they have fan support. Even when they’re decent, they’re an afterthought.
Yes and teams that are almost always cr@ppy don't draw well. Their last little stretch where they had a really good team is nearly 25 years ago and the city was absolutely into it, I remember it well.

Reaction Score
Given time, I think Pitino could bring any p6 conference team to a FF. The dude is a slimeball, but absolutely still one of the best coaches in the game.
I agree, but SJU is the perfect for him. He stays in the city he’s been working in and sells that he’s the man there. He was coach and GM of the Knicks (despite failing). The guy offers the star power that makes playing in the city instantly attractive. He’d get tons of local talent there.

Frankly, we are better off that they don’t hire him, but he’d kill it there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Actually they never recovered after Lou Carnesecca. Despite being in Queens, it's a tough to recruit kids to St. John's. Seems like most of the top NYC talent want to leave town.
Tough campus location in Queens, largely a commuter school but I think in St Johns case they’ve been able to recruit fine! Soriano, Posh, Storr, then bring in Curbelo? A good coach like DH would have molded them into a winner and the reference to DH is not meant as a joke

Reaction Score
Yep, he's on the short list of the best coaches ever. He's the only coach I ever remember where I was nervous with Calhoun going up against him.

The most recent bracketology has UConn playing Yale in round one and (potentially) the winner of Miami / Iona in round two. Gulp.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I get that, but Anderson is from Alabama, coached at Tulsa, Arkansas and Mizzou. I really think there are coaches that can recruit a lot more effectively in NYC. It won't make St. Johns what they were under Lou, but they can be better than this.

He recruits New York City just fine - roster has a good number of NYC kids and of the two NYC kids in the Rvials Top 100, he has one of them. (#70) He’s not recruited poorly, but I think he is bumping up agains St. John’s hard ceiling.

If you’re a kid looking at the Big East and you visit any campus and then visit St. John’s….you’re not going to be impressed. Even kids from NYC tend to want to leave…

Reaction Score
Notre Dame announced his retirement. His contract is expiring and they had no intention of extending it so they said he was retiring.

He wants to continue coaching.
Pretty dumb if it was the school that announced he's retiring. Isn't that a personal decision for the coach to announce? I didn't read a lot about it when the news came out and just assumed he was calling it quits for health reasons or something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom