Sorry Gabby--I was wr-- wr-- WRONG!! | The Boneyard

Sorry Gabby--I was wr-- wr-- WRONG!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've watched Tulane, Tx, ND (first) and specifically watched for Gabby's play---It's true she had/has some learning to do--but rebounding against REALLY big women she holds her own. I thought Geno held her out of Big games because she couldn't compete--WRONG!! I seriously doubt Gabby will be lost in the mix of the NEWBIES this coming year!! Wouldn't 392.5 Div 1 coaches what to have Geno's problem??

Reaction Score
I've watched Tulane, Tx, ND (first) and specifically watched for Gabby's play---It's true she had/has some learning to do--but rebounding against REALLY big women she holds her own. I thought Geno held her out of Big games because she couldn't compete--WRONG!! I seriously doubt Gabby will be lost in the mix of the NEWBIES this coming year!! Wouldn't 392.5 Div 1 coaches what to have Geno's problem??
For some reason Geno was reluctant to use Gabby in big games. He does that kind of thing sometimes. It didn't make sense to me. I am just glad she stayed with UCONN.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think her problem and Geno's reluctance to use her was consistency. There were a number of games where she came in and did nothing in her first half minutes and ended up back on the bench pretty quickly. The coaching staff 'couldn't trust' what she would do game to game - in the easy games even if she had an off few minutes in the first half she would get a lot more time in the second half because Uconn was up by a ton and mostly she performed great. In the big games, when the score was still tight, he did not want the team to lose momentum so was unwilling to chance that she would be in one of her 'down' periods. In those games she was more likely just to see the mop-up minutes. The same issue existed with Chong.

Reaction Score
The best thing she can learn is to trust her ability. Sometimes in big games young players psych themselves out. She has the potential to be almost as good as Morgan if she improves her shooting.

Reaction Score
You rarely have a player who defensivly can guard 5 positions on the floor. Her offense is still a work in progress``

Reaction Score
UC Miami in their post stated----In the easy games----------------------------------------she did great! That doesn't sound like inconsistency, rather a need to adjust her offense to a higher level of competition. A lot of super athletic players have to make that same adjustment coming out of high school. In high school the were able to just overwhelm their opposition. With her jumping ability she was probably able to get her shot off at will against most high school caliber post players. In those closer games at UConn she is facing a much higher caliber defense than in those easy games. Very athletic high school players because they seldom face top level opposition are not challenged to develop and refine their games to the level that will be required at the collegiate level. The biggest difference between high school and the top DI programs is the level of post players.

Reaction Score
I think that after a summer of practice, pick up games and preseason we will see
some very good improvement in Gabby's game next year. Hopefully, we will see
the type of improvement we saw with Mojet from Freshman to Soph. year.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC Miami in their post stated----In the easy games----------------------------------------she did great! That doesn't sound like inconsistency, rather a need to adjust her offense to a higher level of competition. A lot of super athletic players have to make that same adjustment coming out of high school. In high school the were able to just overwhelm their opposition. With her jumping ability she was probably able to get her shot off at will against most high school caliber post players. In those closer games at UConn she is facing a much higher caliber defense than in those easy games. Very athletic high school players because they seldom face top level opposition are not challenged to develop and refine their games to the level that will be required at the collegiate level. The biggest difference between high school and the top DI programs is the level of post players.
Sorry - I meant that even after she had been yanked in the first half because Geno was displeased with what she was providing, in the easier contests, she would get back in for long periods in the second half and perform well. In the tighter games, if Geno did't like what he saw in her first half minutes she would ride the bench and not get the chance to redeem herself in the second half until the final few mop-up minutes.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for the competition, I think that the two most improved players on next season's team will be Gabby Williams and Kia Nurse. I expect both to start, at least after the first few games, with Williams and Butler shuttling back and forth off the bench quite frequently.

Reaction Score
I think her problem and Geno's reluctance to use her was consistency. There were a number of games where she came in and did nothing in her first half minutes and ended up back on the bench pretty quickly. The coaching staff 'couldn't trust' what she would do game to game - in the easy games even if she had an off few minutes in the first half she would get a lot more time in the second half because Uconn was up by a ton and mostly she performed great. In the big games, when the score was still tight, he did not want the team to lose momentum so was unwilling to chance that she would be in one of her 'down' periods. In those games she was more likely just to see the mop-up minutes. The same issue existed with Chong.
I don't profess to ever have been at Gabby's level of play--but from my experience it took me a few minutes playing time to acclimate and then I was with the flow of the game. Geno with some players has used the quick hook to my dismay. In the Tx game she defended and scored well (especially for a frosh) was pulled and returned during clean up time. Not very reassuring for a kid. Geno loves kids to come in make that needed shot or grab that needed rebound or needed stop---you don't always have that option. Geno is an amazing coach but he is not always right about how to manage some players, his stick and tiny carrot routine sometimes fails. True in the lessor level games Gabby got lots of PT--you learning requires a variety of situations that don't develop when you are blasting them out by 30 point or more.

Reaction Score
No denying what you say is true. It takes time to adjust ---when you do what you have been doing and get stuffed, you have to adjust how you attack--if this happens 3 times to her --she's stupid so pull her--if not let her play.

Reaction Score
Gabby missed her last 2 years of high school.If she stays healthy and plays all summer.I think she will make the biggest improvement of the returning players!She is athletic with a high bb IQ.I think her skill set catches up to her age.Go Gabby!!!!!!

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
For some reason Geno was reluctant to use Gabby in big games. He does that kind of thing sometimes. It didn't make sense to me. I am just glad she stayed with UCONN.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I am sure that Geno bases his decisions on how the players react to situations in practice.

Any Uconn player can look "great" against some of the terrible teams they play.

Against top competition, mistakes have to be limited.

Reaction Score
I believe Gabby’s difficulty was anxiety in big games situations, not an inability to excel against the better players met in those games. I also think Geno recognizes this and avoided putting her in those situations.

To illustrate the point, during the Championship game Gabby made a couple bad plays soon after entering the game. One was on a layup. She got to the basket in her usual efficient manner, the opposition's skill wasn't a factor, but she missed the shot by a mile.

Geno soon pulled her but he stopped her on her way to the bench and said something to her to which she nodded. The body language said he told her she did great and not to be concerned about being pulled quickly. This was unusual because he rarely speaks to pulled players when they mess up.

Let’s remember, she was a freshman and it was the NC game. I’m amazed that anyone can make a shot in that game, let alone a freshman. It takes a while to become accustom to the big stage and those few minutes of stress will serve Gabby well in the future. She has the talent and now has NC game experience and a ring to give her confidence. No fears left to conquer, watch her shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom