Sorry for the delay... | The Boneyard

Sorry for the delay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
...but the per-40 sheet with the last 3 games is here, at the usual place.

Tonite, Napheesa reminded me of Breanna on offense more than once, with the added gorgeous fillip of that fade-away bank shot in the post.

It seems to me that when Kia decides to slash, she sometimes(often?) has no plan on how to get the ball in the basket -- she's planning on getting fouled. When, as a result, you go 6-6 on FT there's no harm done to the team, but that has to be hard on the body after a while.

Gabby's doing pretty well transitioning from forward to wing, but the increase in TOs must be frustrating. (Didn't make that interior lateral pass to Pheese any less awesome, though.) Speaking of TO's, I was surprised to see the team's average per game is only 13.9 -- it seemed there were more than that, but the numbers don't lie. Pretty good for a young team playing at a high speed.

High speed most of the time, that is. There were plays and stretches of plays when the ball movement wasn't there tonite, no matter which 5 was on the floor. Hard to watch after the frequent symphonies of synchrony the last couple years. I bite my nails a lot more this year.

Sure is pretty watching Katie Lou score, isn't it? Loved the step-through post move in the 3rd.

Saniya's current A/TO ratio is 6.33. Yikes!

It's kinda scary -- the team's stats tonite were not impressive, but in the end they won easily. I'm with Geno: I think they may need a bit more adversity so they have a visceral understanding of why he tells them their performance isn't good enough, even though they win. I'd hate to have them get the idea all this is easy, cause we're good. There were a goodly number of plays where a not-blindingly-fast TXan made an uncontested slash to the basket. Not taking away from their talent and grit and hoping for more focus.

Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
I agree with your point on Kia. There were a couple of those drives in the 2nd half where she ran into a wall of defenders and still kept trying to take the lane while KLS was standing wide open on the 3 point line callling for the ball. This was a problem with her in her freshman season (missing open teammates) that the coaching staff fixed with some film work.

Reaction Score
"I bite my nails a lot more this year." When the score was 51-49 UConn late in the 3rd quarter, I have the queasy feeling that we might be in trouble!!! Thank God for the run after that. It could have been a disaster!!! Games are more exciting this year though, don't you think?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting question with Kia - there is no doubt she sometimes plays for the contact over the shot, but a foul on the opposing player to go with two foul shots is actually a bonus for the team vs. just making the shot.

There is no question that she is a product of senior international playing rules, but I have been more impressed with her reintegration into college basketball this year. As a freshman, I thought she was a little more 'deferential' to her teammates, more of a PG coming out of her first NT experience. It was actually last year that she was a bull in a china shop for most of the OOC, picking up needless charges after her starring role playing that style for Canada. This year while there has been a bit of that, she is doing it much less often and seems to have the transition stuff worked out better.

One issue in her defense is that she is actually not a great leaper nor particularly long of limb so on contested drives if she doesn't play into the defender, she can pretty easily get her shot blocked. And I suspect some of that comes from playing in the back yard with her brother and older sister - they were older and taller and she had to figure out how to compensate.

Oh yeah, and I am not worried about Kia and bruises - she is canadian - just glad she didn't bring the fights into her basketball games as well as the crosschecks and boardings!:cool:

Reaction Score
Kia is the baddest bad-ass of all the Huskies. I wonder where she gets that from?:rolleyes::D:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom